Topic Title: AMD Driver Autodetect installed ADWARE on my SERVER
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2014 04:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2014 04:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mcbridma
Peon

I was looking for some older legacy drivers for an ATI ES1000 embedded graphics chip so that I could utilize higher display resolutions on a server I manage (it supports up to 1600x1200 but I only had 1280x1024 available with the generic driver).

The dropdown menus on AMD's website did not include this chipset so I tried the "automatically detect and install" option. This option failed to detect the chipset and then proceeded to install some kind of 'gaming evolved' junkware crap without my permission. I immediately went to uninstall this program but it was not listed under 'amd' or 'catalyst' and instead listed under 'Raptr" with no icon making it look very unsuspicious in Programs and Features.

I do NOT appreciate AMD installing random junk on my servers - gamers are not your only clientele - in fact, I have several engineers on my network that use ATI graphic cards. Worst yet, the program installed was a BETA which could have posed security threats to the system (this server happened to be the FSMO for our AD DS environment).

I did find the drivers I was looking for through a third party site, however, I think AMD needs to revisit their policy on their automatic detection of video chipsets.

02/11/2014 05:59 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Raptr isn't adware, and you chose to install it, so how is it AMD's fault?

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/12/2014 02:03 PM

Author Icon
smiler_16
Peon

Kind of off topic, but I hope to see the CCC team look at this topic and make the decision to implement a 'Auto-Install Profile System' the profiles which I would suggest would consist of 'Personal', 'Professional' & Gaming.It can't be that hard to implement a Radio button system to allow the user to select one of the above or 'Custom' to select which items the user would like to install.
 02/13/2014 08:17 PM

Author Icon
Celsus
Peon

Guy asks a question and gets a flippant response. 11,253 posts, eh? Were they all as brief and unhelpful as this one?

The question has not been answered. Why does AMD feel it can install beta software on my system? I thought AMD had finally stopped adding absolute crap into their install packages, making the user uncheck something or end up with an unwanted bloatware. Back at it, eh?

Perhaps it's time for you guys to do some evolving.

02/15/2014 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

Originally posted by: Celsus Guy asks a question and gets a flippant response. 11,253 posts, eh? Were they all as brief and unhelpful as this one? The question has not been answered. Why does AMD feel it can install beta software on my system? I thought AMD had finally stopped adding absolute crap into their install packages, making the user uncheck something or end up with an unwanted bloatware. Back at it, eh? Perhaps it's time for you guys to do some evolving.

Here's your unhelpful and rude answer, also from someone with more than 10 posts (me):

Any IT personnel who uses autodetect install, express install and stuff like that insead of having their own driver source organized and properly checked is the real security risk for that system, for that company and for other people working with them. If the OP was my employee, I'd fire them immediately.

Even if you're not IT personnel, stop using express install. Seriously, stop it. And while your at it, reinstall you OS to get rid of mobogenie, ask toolbar, google chrome, bing bar, driver tuner pro etc. whatever you probably also istalled while using express install features of other software.

Yes, including GE is bad and shouldn't happen. Installing it is your personaly little own fault. Always think before you do something, it's not that hard. Even a 2-year-old can press next-next-next-next...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

02/17/2014 09:33 AM

Author Icon
geir
Peon

I just had to say I totally agree with mcbridmas frustration!

If you cannot trust ANY piece of software, not even downloaded from a supposedly serious vendor of your hardware, you are going to have a very hard time installing anything, server environment or not.

This is a case of very bad form from AMD!

And since I'm in the mood of agreeing with people, I also want to say I wholeheartedly agree with Celsus.

And since there are two know-it-alls who are obviously uncapable of comprehending the real issue here, I'll explain it in a way even those two might understand, especially given the clueless and snipe remarks about "security" and "firing" people.

The problem, for one, is that the "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility is referenced throughout AMDs support pages as THE utility to use for exactly what he was looking for.

So he probably, like me, downloaded this executable believing that it was in fact a simple utility to enable him to detect the chipset and find a suitable driver.
How utterly strange he would think that, huh?

And how very stupid of him to believe that the official "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility, was not some subversive installer of undesired software! To actually believe that the official support pages of the hardware vendor of his chipset could actually be... trusted? Nah...

The real issue is the fact that he was never informed that this utility was anything but a simple utility, because nowhere on the "AMD Driver Autodetect" page, nor when running this little covert utility is there ANY mention of additional crap software being installed.

He never did choose to install anything, because he was never given such an choice, and probably, like me, he was blissfully unaware "he" had installed anything.

Do you two clueless know-it-alls finally get the real problem?

And now, back to searching for a solution to my HD7950 piece'o'junk graphics card ailment. Boy, I wish I had bought a graphics card from a serious chipset peddler...

02/17/2014 10:09 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

I'll only address 2 thing to look more like a know-it-all.

1. A trusted source is a directory with binary files, inf and cat. Nothing more. You install it though device manager. Don't tell me you need to overclock the GPU on a server... If you insist on using CCC, you extract the package, go to the components directory and delete everything you don't need. Then save the directory for later use. (Non-express mode is virtually doing this at install time.) If it is a server, use it like a server. If it is a PC and you only said server because you wanted to look bigger than you are, that's your problem. If it's a regular PC running a pirated server OS, that's your problem as well. And while we're at it, all server OS's are unsupported by AMD, so what exactly are we talking about?

2. Where AMD is at fault is that the autodetect utility and express install exist. They shouldn't. It's the same thing that is killing the whole PC business slowly. Instead of teaching people, let's consider them stupid and make tools for the lazy and stupid. AMD should stand up and say, if you want to use a computer, learn how to use a computer. Autodetect and express are just bad. They are designed for the lazy and stupid.

It's usual human behavior of blaming someone else after doing something stupid. Really.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

02/17/2014 05:15 PM

Author Icon
geir
Peon

I must be really bad at explaining or something, because once again, the point of the original topic is missed.

So, as a final courtesy to the ones calling people stupid (and lazy), let's keep it really-really simple:

1) Download the "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool)

2) Run it. (Nobody will call you stupid, I promise!). Don't install anything.
  (Chances are you already have the latest driver, right? So then nothing will be installed, right?)

3) Quit the "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility

4) Wait for crap software you had no idea was being installed to launch

This is what the thread creator, and a few others myself including have been experiencing. 

It has nothing to do with Catalyst, GPU, CCC, drivers, express, servers, overclocking, war, famine, plague or any attempts to do anything related to graphic cards.

All I did apart from starting this utility, was stopping the bugger (since it told me I, by some miracle, already had the latest drivers installed).

Likewise, the creator of this thread installed nothing (the "AMD Driver Autodetect" did not find a driver for him, as he very clearly explains).

That's the whole point!

The only thing installed was the unwanted crap software, and it was installed/downloaded by the "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility.

And if AMD had any sense, they would display the actually name of the graphics graphics card in their driver dropdown list, instead of the cryptic "R9, R7, HD, X, 9xxxx... " choices, which basically forces me to guess....

unless I use the (possibly well intended) "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility from AMD... 

in which case I apparently run the risk of getting some random software installed nilly-willy...

Anyways, I've sent a complaint to customer service about this "AMD Driver Autodetect" and what I find to be objectional behavior, so I can probably look forward to more fundamental misunderstandings.

Have fun!

02/17/2014 09:09 PM

Author Icon
geir
Peon

Yes, well, just a final "update" for those finding this thread, wondering what on earth just popped up after they (stupidly) used the innocent looking "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility, and then I'll leave you all alone.

Just fired up a VirtualBox instance with a clean Windows 7 x64 image that has never seen, and never will see any ATI/AMD hardware.

Then I downloaded the "AMD Driver Autodetect" utility (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool) and ran it. 

The utility program correctly notified me it was unable to find my "product" (which I presume would be ATI/AMD).

However, as has been mentioned a couple of times already, this little lovely AMD utility also immediately started downloading some "raptr" software, and went on to install said crap.
All without any mention or notification of it anywhere, and without asking, of course.

After some time you DO get a lovely unsolicited "Welcome to AMD" window appear though (which, is what hit you).

The installed "raptr" software takes a nice juicy 163MB of disk space I'm sure you had no better use for, and I really wish I knew a little more about Python, since there seem to be an awful lot of it.

This little AMD gem also very helpfully opens up 4 public ports in your firewall, and it might be interesting to know what private data this little bugger sees fit to distribute to wherever/whoever it feels like.

It's probably not gonna hurt you too much, some people actually install this piece of software ("raptr") by choice, and it's not like you mind having some hurried beta doing all kinds of mysterious things on your PC, right?

Yeah, well, I'm off, I promise.. perhaps to sniff some traffic and take a crack at disassembling some python code?
Who knows, beta code is almost always nice and juicy... this could be great fun!

Good luck everyone, and buy AMD products!

03/13/2014 11:08 AM

Author Icon
jaxx0rr
Peon

** Please refer to the Terms and Conditions that apply to this forum **

Edited: 03/13/2014 at 11:18 AM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 03/13/2014 01:50 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: mcbridma I was looking for some older legacy drivers for an ATI ES1000 embedded graphics chip so that I could utilize higher display resolutions on a server I manage (it supports up to 1600x1200 but I only had 1280x1024 available with the generic driver).

The dropdown menus on AMD's website did not include this chipset so I tried the "automatically detect and install" option. This option failed to detect the chipset and then proceeded to install some kind of 'gaming evolved' junkware crap without my permission. I immediately went to uninstall this program but it was not listed under 'amd' or 'catalyst' and instead listed under 'Raptr" with no icon making it look very unsuspicious in Programs and Features.

I do NOT appreciate AMD installing random junk on my servers - gamers are not your only clientele - in fact, I have several engineers on my network that use ATI graphic cards. Worst yet, the program installed was a BETA which could have posed security threats to the system (this server happened to be the FSMO for our AD DS environment).

I did find the drivers I was looking for through a third party site, however, I think AMD needs to revisit their policy on their automatic detection of video chipsets.

Nvidia does the same thing, their NV Stream junk-ware is causing blue screen hell for a lot of us too...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

03/13/2014 04:08 PM

Author Icon
rajeshk4u
Peon

"Raptr isn't adware, and you chose to install it, so how is it AMD's fault?"

I have to agree with the original poster. I was looking for drivers and this thing said it is a 'auto-detect' tool. I feel mislead by AMD and it was a waste of my time. I feel let down by AMD, as you expect better from a serious company like AMD. I am not a gamer, so I don't need such a tool. 

Statistics
80951 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.