Topic Title: Solved: After installing / deleting catalyst on WIN7 USB is off, won't boot!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/12/2014 11:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2014 11:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
boyherre
Peon

Hi, after trying to exchange catalyst beta driver 14.1 back to 13.12 - wanted to get rid of 14.1 - I deleted in order to install 13.12 properly, but then Windows 7 lost USB at the very beginning of boot sequence: no keyboard, no mouse.
Still, Linux Mint on the same machine works as stable as ever. Hardware, BIOS is all OK.
I'm not even able to boot repair options or Windows 7 install routine from DVD, which doesn't grant me USB either (!) ...
What can I do?
Regards, Boy

Edited: 02/14/2014 at 10:16 AM by boyherre
 02/14/2014 06:08 AM

Author Icon
Cellkill
Peon

Try disabling USB 3.0 in bios and boot into windows.

Or press F8 befor windows boot screen and choose safe mode.

-------------------------

i7-2600K - Asrock Z77 WS - 16GB Corsair -Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce x3 - 120GB Intel SSD - 4x1TB WD Black - 2x2TB Samsung

02/14/2014 10:15 AM

Author Icon
boyherre
Peon

Thank you for your fast answer; the problem could be solved by using PS/2-Hardware and Windows' repairing option. Still, the main problem which stood behind this action was the software NERO-Video (11, 12.5 & 2014) which keeps crashing after decoding 50% of a file. Which doesn't happen in an Intel architecture…
But maybe I should open a new thread about this issue.

BTW: Your suggestions (F8) or (switch off USB3) didn't work out (I tried that).
Safe mode had no keyboard & mouse either.

Anyway, this problem has been solved, thank God!

Best regards, Boy

02/15/2014 12:28 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

A bit off topic, but don't use Nero past version 10. It became crap, bloatware, totally unstable and crashes all the time. Using different video encoders and free burning programs like IMGBurn is pretty standard nowdays, I haven't touched Nero for a very long time. Yes, they used to be a monopoly, but that time is over.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/15/2014 08:49 PM

Author Icon
boyherre
Peon

Thanks for answering,

well, this might be of some general interest, off topic though, nevermind:
On my AMD platform (AMD A8-5600 with integrated Radeon HD 7560 D, Catalyst Driver V. 13.12) I encounter difficulties (100 % reproduceable) with all Nero-Versions from 10 (!) 11, 12.5 to 2014 to transcode videos of any (!) length at 2/3 of the file(s): the computer would freeze totally (incl. WIN7-64), so only the reset button would help.
This seems to be (obviously) a driver issue of the graphics card;
this concerns „Burning Studio“ versions 10 & 14 as well, same misbehaviour! Even a fresh, clean Windows7 in a VirtualBox shows this failure!
As soon as I work with „Free Video to DVD“ (which doesnt't show any picture frames while transcoding), I encounter none of these Problems !
Nero works nicely on my Intel-Laptop/nVidia…

I doubt that a hardware failure could be the reason, since the very same machine works also nicely under Linux Mint with DeVeDe (no frames showing).

So, what would AMD say to that?

Greetings, Boy

02/15/2014 11:59 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Virtualbox has its own video driver so you just ruled out the problem being the catalyst driver.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/20/2014 11:22 PM

Author Icon
boyherre
Peon

Hi,
good point! In the meantime I tried to install WindowsXP as Guest into VirtualBox successfully, and as a result I could install Nero 10 sucessfully in WinXP and transcode a 90 minutes video properly without any more hassle and save it to harddisk (couldn’t burn, since WinXP in VB won't do that); but nevermind, this shows that there must be some connection between my AMD-hardware, Windows 7 and VB which won’t work properly. Might be important: while transcoding, no frames of the video were shown (!). This could belong to the graphics driver issue.
Furthermore, after installing my Win7-Upgrade from within WinXP as necessary - quite sucessfully too, I’m missing networking/Internet-connection – which worked perfectly in WinXP before. I’m totally puzzled and can only see, that Windows is lacking a driver both for Ethernet as well as BasicSystem. And: I’m not able to install guest-extensions, since I’m asked to offer the appropiate medium. Also this startles me…
WinXP presumably uses the same graphics-driver as Win7, but why are those most important drivers for Win7 not installed?
This remains unsolved right now! Any ideas?
Thanks for any support!
Greetings, Boy

02/22/2014 01:35 AM

Author Icon
boyherre
Peon

Hi, in the meantime I could solve my problems by changing the net card to Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop using the bridge. NAT won't work in any case…
Guest extensions are installed, too.
Now I’ll give Nero another try… & will report.

Greetimgs, Boy

03/02/2014 11:25 PM

Author Icon
bhilton
Peon

This is exactly what just happened to me! I was in the middle of uninstalling my previous AMD Catalyst driver per the AMD website when Windows 7 said the uninstall had stopped working and searched online for more answers before closing the program and then it crashed and froze completely forcing me to hit the restart button and now I have no USB mouse or keyboard capability to even log into Windows!!! I am completely locked out of my PC at the moment and haven't got a clue what to do... Safe Mode is hopeless as well, someone, anyone, please HELP me! 

03/03/2014 07:53 AM

Author Icon
boyherre
Peon

Originally posted by: bhilton and now I have no USB mouse or keyboard capability to even log into Windows!!!

Hi, bhilton, I could solve this problem by using PS/2-devices instead of USB; this works also by using an adapter USB to PS/2.

Either you have two adapters or find a PS/2-mouse & keyboard. Hopefully your PC offers PS/2-connectors? Check that mouse and keyboard are different PS/2-connectors!

This allows you to boot Windows properly in order to re-install the catalyst driver. It seems it's not the best idea to delete the/any catalyst driver since this affects not only the graphics card but also the USB driver.

After I had the PS/2-devices connected I could continue straight forward.

What we can learn: Never delete any catalyst driver, just install updates (or never change a running system without severe need!).

Best of luck!

Regards, Boy

Statistics
84133 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.