Topic Title: AMD Powerplay too aggressive on 290, and 2D clocks too low
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/22/2014 04:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2014 04:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kvodharav
Peon

Hello,

I have recently purchased a R9 290 TRI-X to replace my old 5850, I am running a 3 1920X1200 monitor setup (usually not configured to Eyefinity unless gaming).

I have encountered 2 issues with the new card:

1)During normal windows use (AKA web browser, some applications such as MS word etc are open) whenever i move a window between monitors it is not done in a fluid matter, unlike it was with my HD 5850. i suspect that the reason behind it is the extremely low 2D clocks the card is set to run on which are 300/150mhz, regardless of how many monitors i am running.

At the past, the 5850 would use a different (higher clocks) 2D profile for 3 monitors, not so the case here.

2)The card never hits more than 75C under load and 30% fan speed, and yet it would happily run at lower core clock than intended (1 GHZ, instead running at anywhere between 750-950), unless i run a really demanding game or benchmark, where it will stick to 1GHZ all the time.

I have tried both CCC 13.12 and 14.1Beta drivers and both yield the same results, my first point is far more pressing as this had made the transfer between 5850 to the new card feel like i have actually downgraded instead of upgraded.

Thank you.

02/23/2014 10:56 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

On the first point, it may be relatively easy to test, by running a small 3D app in a window to push the clocks up, and seeing if the desktop responds better moving between screens. 

As for the second, there are three reasons I know of that the GPU will reduce clock speed:

1)  Reduce temperature below the target.  Not an issue in your case.

2)  Reduce power consumption to fit into the envelope.  May or may not be the issue in your case.

3)  Reduce power consumption when the load doesn't warrant it, due to the CPU not keeping up.

You suggest it only happens in games that are less demanding, which lends support to the third option.  If the CPU is only able to set up X frames per second to render, the card will only run as fast as it needs to in order to match that rate.  With previous Radeon models, there were only three power levels, so it wasn't often that you'd see the card downclock under low load.  With the current crop, they can reduce clock speed by an essentially arbitrary amount, so you'd expect them to downclock much more frequently.

It's possible, of course, that they do so too aggressively, with the clock changes unable to respond to changing demand fast enough.  Some posted complaints support that possibility.  Perhaps there's a way to lock clock speed and run some tests to see, but I don't know off hand if it's possible.

02/24/2014 02:05 AM

Author Icon
AMDisPC
Peon

Trade in the cards and go for Nvidia. AmD does not give a ***** and they will continue to not give a *****.

Before it was possible to disable it, though thats many many years ago, now its not possible and they do not give a *****, even though it creates tons of problems. This was done deliberately by AMD.

A company that respected their customers would let them change it as they wanted.

Just saying.

02/24/2014 05:27 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You can only disable it on laptops and that's how it always has been. The issues people usually think are because of PP are usually motherboard issues, PCIe to be precise.

I wonder if you looked for a motherboard BIOS update and/or tried the card in another computer. Nvidia won't fix your motherboard, I guarantee it.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/25/2014 05:12 AM

Author Icon
AMDisPC
Peon

Thats not how its always been.

And a company that thinks it can force onto its customers disadvantages that affect the customer does not deserve to stay in business.

Statistics
84898 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.