Topic Title: AMD Catalyst resolution help
Topic Summary: Changes resolution to where I can't fix it during Installation
Created On: 02/23/2014 12:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2014 12:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hasuu
Peon

I'm trying to install the AMD Catalyst for my old video card

XFX Radeon HD 4650 1gb 

I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

When I try to install the Catalyst, it goes to a black screen and then changes my resolution to 1280 x 960. This is obviously normal, but then it changes the resolution again to a resolution of which I do not support. My monitor displays "Mode Not Supported."

I have waited a few minutes hoping it will change back, but I inevitably reboot my system and when I try to go into my desktop, the Catalyst already changed my resolution to where I cannot see anything and my monitor says "Mode Not Supported." I rebooted and did a system restore which fixed the problem but the Catalyst isn't installed.

Is there any way where I can install the AMD Catalyst without it breaking my resolution?

tldr; Catalyst puts me into a resolution of which I do not support and I can't revert it even if I reboot. Have to system restore, Looking for a way to install AMD Catalyst without resolution problem happening.

02/23/2014 09:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Access the boot menu which allowes you to start in safe mode (advanced boot options) and has even more options. It's a pain to access it under 8, but possible, google it.

Once you have it, start in low resolution VGA mode (there is such option on the list) and you'll have a 640x480@60 desktop. There you can select the display mode you want to use and it will stick.

Note: This has been available since Windows 2000...

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
86477 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.