Topic Title: Mantle supporting 280X's yet?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/19/2014 07:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2014 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jimdriver2
Peon

Just wondering as the first Mantle driver said it wasn't optimised for the 280X's but the subsquent ones haven't been clear.

On BF4 I've tried each new Mantle driver and I'm sure performance on it gets steadily worse. On DX12 I get a stable enough 60 fps on ultra & 2xmsaa, but on Mantle its never been any good. On this latest version at any point there's any action it takes the fps right down to 30 and locks it there, stuttering along!

Right now Mantle is a complete no go for me.

03/20/2014 12:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mkk
Buffed

No changes to that yet. Maybe next driver, but I haven't heard any official word on it. To some extent the game itself (guessing BF4 here) also has something to say about it. For instance BF4 in Mantle mode does not support triple buffering with VSync, so at any time the framerate dips below 60 on a regular monitor you will get a steady 30. It might be best to stick to DirectX 11.2 mode for R9 280X cards for a while longer, even if in Mantle mode it would be possible to improve gameplay sitautions where the system is otherwise CPU limited on certain maps/game modes. Like for instance 64 player Siege of Shanghai, there it might run best with Mantle still. But avoid graphics settings that often bring you down below the monitor refresh rate.

Statistics
84674 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.