Topic Title: AMD clean uninstall utility screwed up my mouse/keyboard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/28/2014 01:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/28/2014 01:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kenshindono
Peon

*sigh* i was trying to update the drivers on my moms desktop. Im used to Nvidia drivers these days which are easy and automatic. This looked like it was the old fasioned way where you had to uninstalle the old drivers before you put the new one in. Unfortunatly instead of just manually removing them and running the new ones i noticed a link to the 'amd clean uninstall utilitiy' and decided to use it

bad idea. After it finished my mouse and keyboard just stoped working. I couldn't even reboot and had to do a hard reboot by hitting the power button. On restart the mouse/keyboard still didn't work. I have no idea what the heck happened. Why would a graphic driver uninstall program seemingly kill my USB ports? Any idea what the heck happened and how i can fix this?

couple notes: mouse/keyboard aren't the problem. Tried different ones same issue. Also they work if i boot just to the UEFI bios, but stop working when windows comes up. My guess is somehow it removed the USB drivers though that doesn't make any sense. Even if that is the case i dont know how to reinstall them if i cant use the mouse. Nor can i figure out how to do a system restore if thats an option

btw the mb is an asrock Z87 Extreme6. Windows 7. Intel processer. 

03/28/2014 12:41 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

In your BIOS...check the boot priority.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

03/28/2014 12:58 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Press F8 during boot and select last known good configuration. The AMD Driver Cleanup Utility is NOT necessary unless you are downgrading driver versions, or swapping cards. The utility also uninstalls USB drivers, which is why they will not work.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/28/2014 12:59 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Try to start in safe mode with networking. Go to the Intel support site and use the automatic driver tool. It should offer the drivers you are missing.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/28/2014 01:55 PM

Author Icon
kenshindono
Peon

not sure what checking boot priority would do. And i tried safe mode, i still cant use a mouse or keyboard in it so i cant go to that site. 

I can try that F8 last known config thing if it has it. I dont get why it works in bios but in windows it doesn't. And honestly i have no idea how an AMD graphic driver uninstall utility direct from the graphics comany would do something like this. Any idea what the heck is going on?

if i could just get it working long enough to try to do a restore point or maybe that intel link that would be great.  Any other suggestions?

03/28/2014 02:06 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Read this How to move mouse pointer using computer keys

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/28/2014 02:16 PM

Author Icon
kenshindono
Peon

..again that would require both a working keyboard AND me being able to  change a setting in windows. two things i dont have/cant do. 

by the way i DID find a ps2 keyboard finaly but no ps2 mouse. I was able to tab between shut down and the little clock menu on the login screeen but could not select the login option

03/28/2014 03:32 PM

Author Icon
kenshindono
Peon

sucess! .. i guess

After disabling legacy support in bios and getting locked out of anything working (couldnt F2 into bios after that, lol)  i freaked out a bit. I did find a ps2 keyboard though that let me get back into bios and turn legacy support back on.  I was getting annoyed and  turned the power off when windows was rebooting. I wound up doing a system repair wondering if it would let me in and sure enough it did. Once i was in i went in and did a manual system restore to a week back just to be safe. Seems to be working ok for now.

However I am wondering if theres anything i should check/do to make sure everything is working 100%. any ideas? I dont want to run into a problem a week or two down the road? This time i'll just update the drivers the old fashioned way like i should have in the first place. Only question is what would be the more ideal way to uninstall the old ones? Through windows add/remove program, or uninstall it through the device manager/display adapter page?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I find it very friggin strange that an AMD driver uninstall utility straight from AMD would have borked my system like that. Still not sure exactly what happened, though im sure it did something with the usb drivers for some reason. 

Statistics
84181 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.