Topic Title: BSODs associated with atikmdag.sys and dxgmml.sys
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/04/2014 12:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/04/2014 12:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Phanixis
Peon

Ok, I have been fighting this problem for a better part of a month. 

About a year and a half ago, I built my self a gaming rig.  Once I got everything installed, it was solid a rock, no problems whatsoever.

Then less than a month ago a started getting frequent BSODs when playing certain video games:  Diablo 3, FarCry 3, Dishonored, Civilization 5 and most recently Age of Wonders 3.  Just running the computer, streaming video or playing old video games (Space Empires 5) is not sufficient to trigger the BSODs.  It needs to be a high end game to do it.  And like many computer problems, it just came out of thin air.  I didn't change anything (although automatic updates could have done it), it just started to happen.

I have been talking with XFX tech support (not very helpful) and I have yet to hear back from AMD support, so I was hoping somebody here could provide some help.

As the thread title says, the BSOD seem to result from atikmdag.sys and dxgmml.sys.  WhoCrashed has also flagged clfs.sys and win32k.sys

System Specs:

MSI X79A-GD45 8D

Intel Core i7-3820

Kingston HyperX Predator Series DD3 RAM

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Oh and I am currently running 13.12 Catalyst drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

04/04/2014 02:09 PM

Author Icon
JackboyJr
Peon

I can only tell you what else will NOT work. Drivers 14.2 beta and 14.3 beta. Same old BSOD, "...driver stopped/restarted...", freezing screens, or maybe app will run for about 10-15 minutes and then driver stops/restarts, or screen locks up, or BSOD and restart...

Good luck. I'm about to give up and go back to NVidia. No where near the headache and much more relaible. Maybe we should be AMD CPU/Mobo instead of Intel. What do you thinK?

04/04/2014 08:16 PM

Author Icon
DERIUSTV
Peon

Can you open properly Blizzard pages like from World of Warcraft, StarCraft 2 because for me its really distorsionated and pixelated 

04/04/2014 08:31 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Phanixis Ok, I have been fighting this problem for a better part of a month. 

About a year and a half ago, I built my self a gaming rig.  Once I got everything installed, it was solid a rock, no problems whatsoever.

Then less than a month ago a started getting frequent BSODs when playing certain video games:  Diablo 3, FarCry 3, Dishonored, Civilization 5 and most recently Age of Wonders 3.  Just running the computer, streaming video or playing old video games (Space Empires 5) is not sufficient to trigger the BSODs.  It needs to be a high end game to do it.  And like many computer problems, it just came out of thin air.  I didn't change anything (although automatic updates could have done it), it just started to happen.

I have been talking with XFX tech support (not very helpful) and I have yet to hear back from AMD support, so I was hoping somebody here could provide some help.

As the thread title says, the BSOD seem to result from atikmdag.sys and dxgmml.sys.  WhoCrashed has also flagged clfs.sys and win32k.sys

System Specs:

MSI X79A-GD45 8D

Intel Core i7-3820

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

You don't have morphalogical enabled do you? Try a clean install of your drivers. I suggest the latest beta...works great. Use these drivers

To perform a 'clean install' of AMD graphics drivers:

Create a system restore point before updating.

1. IMPORTANT: All Windows Updates should be current, including the 'optional/suggested' updates
2. IMPORTANT: Disable all anti-virus/ad blockers/anti-malware/ anti-anything before trying to install
3. IMPORTANT: Netframework is required and must be the latest version. (from Windows Update)

Download the drivers for your computer to the desktop. Follow steps 1-5 ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download ).
 Do not use 'auto-detect and install.

Delete existing drivers from your computer:

In computer control panel select 'uninstall a program'
For computers with Intel processors:
Select AMD install manager and choose 'express uninstall all AMD software'
Including the install manager.

For computers with AMD processors:
Select AMD install manager and 'custom uninstall' the graphics drivers and CCC only.

Reboot into 'safe mode'
In safe mode run Driver Fusion  http://treexy.com/ (free version).
Select AMD graphics, analyse and delete all it finds.

Reboot

Install the new driver suite.

NOTE! Certain laptop configurations are not compatible with AMD's Mobility Catalyst™ Driver.
      AMD provides graphics drivers for most laptop brands and models for the Mobility Radeon™ HD series of graphics cards.
      If the AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool reports that the hardware is incompatible, then the notebook manufacturer is the exclusive provider of the graphics drivers for your notebook. (GPU-28041)
      Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic will not accept generic drivers. Get drivers from manufacturers support site.
      Laptops with 'switchable' graphics must use manufacturer supplied drivers.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 04/04/2014 at 08:37 PM by stumped
 04/05/2014 07:50 AM

Author Icon
JackboyJr
Peon

Thanks for your guidance. I'll try your instructions  on the I7-950 x58 chipset. Mobo is an Asus p6TD Deluxe and could be the problem since there have been no Asus support/updates since 2010 (the p6T has much more recent updates). Running 6GB Corsair 1600 XMP ram w/ Win7 sp1 Pro.

04/05/2014 07:59 AM

Author Icon
JackboyJr
Peon

One question though. 14.3 beta requires .NET 4.5 but now 4.5.1 version is now out. Do I uninstall 4.5.1 (windows update did update), and then let the 14.3 install .NET 4.5 and not bother with 4.5.1? And... video card is MSI 290x Gaming Twin Frozr IV and it wants to run 85-90C in stock mode. Maybe it's a dud and overheating? Ideas? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127773

04/05/2014 08:02 AM

Author Icon
JackboyJr
Peon

Sorry, clarify on MSI card. That's 75-80C at idle. (typo on temps)

04/05/2014 08:17 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: JackboyJr One question though. 14.3 beta requires .NET 4.5 but now 4.5.1 version is now out. Do I uninstall 4.5.1 (windows update did update), and then let the 14.3 install .NET 4.5 and not bother with 4.5.1? And... video card is MSI 290x Gaming Twin Frozr IV and it wants to run 85-90C in stock mode. Maybe it's a dud and overheating? Ideas? 

Absolutley not. You want the latest version.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

04/05/2014 09:06 AM

Author Icon
JackboyJr
Peon

So, making sure, I follow your instructions, all latest updates EXCEPT 4.5.1, install AMD 14.3, etc. and reboot. Then after that, the last thing is do 4.5.1 update? I REALLY appreciate your input!!!!

04/05/2014 04:56 PM

Author Icon
JackboyJr
Peon

Ok. Thanks. Fixed it. Weird, but series of updates:

update, update, update. then update NET 4.5.1

Then install 2.9 SDK

Then update (this was the missing step) added VS 2010 files.

Then rebooted, updated again. Nothing req'd.

Then Installed 14.3 beta, rebooted, then updated Windows again.

Then it worked! I can't express my gratitude enough!!! Thank you.

04/05/2014 10:56 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: JackboyJr One question though. 14.3 beta requires .NET 4.5 but now 4.5.1 version is now out. Do I uninstall 4.5.1 (windows update did update), and then let the 14.3 install .NET 4.5 and not bother with 4.5.1? And... video card is MSI 290x Gaming Twin Frozr IV and it wants to run 85-90C in stock mode. Maybe it's a dud and overheating? Ideas? 

Absolutley not. You want the latest version.

What I meant was....you want the latest version. 4.5 has been updated and you want it. Updating your computer is a step that LOTS of people overlook. Having your update set for 'automatic' won't cut it. As a example, netframeworks will NOT be installed/updated unless you manually go to WU and select it for install...as you saw, there are lots of updates to manually select and install. I'm glad you got it all sorted out, and thanks for returning to the forum with your results (not many do) as this can help another user. Cheers

04/06/2014 03:37 PM

Author Icon
Phanixis
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: Phanixis Ok, I have been fighting this problem for a better part of a month. 

System Specs:

MSI X79A-GD45 8D

Intel Core i7-3820

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

You don't have morphalogical enabled do you? Try a clean install of your drivers. I suggest the latest beta...works great. Use these drivers

To perform a 'clean install' of AMD graphics drivers:

Create a system restore point before updating.

1. IMPORTANT: All Windows Updates should be current, including the 'optional/suggested' updates 2. IMPORTANT: Disable all anti-virus/ad blockers/anti-malware/ anti-anything before trying to install 3. IMPORTANT: Netframework is required and must be the latest version. (from Windows Update)

Download the drivers for your computer to the desktop. Follow steps 1-5 ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download ).  Do not use 'auto-detect and install.

Delete existing drivers from your computer:

In computer control panel select 'uninstall a program' For computers with Intel processors: Select AMD install manager and choose 'express uninstall all AMD software' Including the install manager.

For computers with AMD processors: Select AMD install manager and 'custom uninstall' the graphics drivers and CCC only.

Reboot into 'safe mode' In safe mode run Driver Fusion  http://treexy.com/ (free version). Select AMD graphics, analyse and delete all it finds.

Reboot

Install the new driver suite.

NOTE! Certain laptop configurations are not compatible with AMD's Mobility Catalyst™ Driver.       AMD provides graphics drivers for most laptop brands and models for the Mobility Radeon™ HD series of graphics cards.       If the AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool reports that the hardware is incompatible, then the notebook manufacturer is the exclusive provider of the graphics drivers for your notebook. (GPU-28041)       Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic will not accept generic drivers. Get drivers from manufacturers support site.       Laptops with 'switchable' graphics must use manufacturer supplied drivers.

Thanks for the advice.  I have follwed your instructions, if I am lucky it will correct the problem.  If not, I think it is time for a format, I have been forced to system restore one too many times and the OS is going to need a clean install anyway.

04/10/2014 08:52 PM

Author Icon
Phanixis
Peon

Well, it seemed like your solution worked for a few days.  Since implementing it I had error free performance until today, and then the problem came back with a vengence.

I think it is format c: time.  One last attempt at eliminating this problem before I replace hardware.

Statistics
85545 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.