Topic Title: 14.4
Topic Summary: See RELEASE NOTES
Created On: 04/21/2014 02:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/23/2014 04:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I have a 10GB+10GB monthly cap (10GB anytime + 10GB from 2AM-8AM), and thanks to Netflix and other services, AT&T and the other ISPs are starting to do away with unlimited data. That's why the USA ranks behind Russia and South Korea in terms of internet access and quality.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/23/2014 08:39 PM

Author Icon
Omega1
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: Ferencz So much for 7xxx mantle optimization :/ they really suck 

If you need mantle, why don't you just buy a console?

Really?  Did you actually just say that?  Mantle is pretty much AMD's big game changer.  They have announced that it would be supported by all 7xxx series cards and R series cards. Considering this is an AMD forum, a consumer with what is supposed to be a supported card asking about when he will receive the promised support for AMD's Mantle is nothing but logical, which makes your response quite rediculous.

Maybe he doesn't want to buy a new console because he just dropped $300+ on a 7970 not even a year ago, before the R9 series cards were launched.  The card is still extremely relavent, and all he wants is to have the performance that Mantle is supposed to deliver.

04/23/2014 08:59 PM

Author Icon
iLovecraft
Peon

Btw, can you tell me when you want to FINALLY release the final 14.x drivers? I don't try to use any of the nowadays BETA drivers cause the whole system is really unstable with them and (for example) a video player like BS Player isn't working when those drivers are installed...

Therefore I cannot use a Mantle support in a game like Battlefield 4, of course... Any clue when the FINAL release will be available?

Thx in advance for some info...

04/23/2014 09:39 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

If he has a 7970 then he in no way needs Mantle unless he has some dual core chip from 2008. Mantle is targeted towards weaker systems, namely APUs, which do not have the resources to take on DirectX 11.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/23/2014 10:54 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

While Mantle, in the few games that currently support it, is most useful for slower processors, that tells you more about those games than about Mantle. 

Any game which makes a lot of draw calls to increase graphics quality will hit a performance wall, even with ridiculously overclocked Intel chips.  The best example of this that I know of is Assassin's Creed III, which has several areas where you'd need a 7GHz or so i7 to get 60fps.  AMD claims up to nine times more draw calls per second for Mantle.  Assuming just five times as many with AC3, that moves you from 7GHz to 1.4GHz to get 60fps in those heavily CPU-limited areas.

Tomb Raider also has many CPU-limited areas that would greatly benefit from Mantle.

While it's quite unlikely that those games would be ported to Mantle, any next-gen console game ported to PC could easily be CPU-limited for any processor in DirectX, but become GPU-limited using Mantle.

04/23/2014 11:15 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Much is going to depend on DirectX 12.

04/24/2014 12:51 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

That may be awhile...

Non-noob components.

04/24/2014 06:42 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Omega1
Originally posted by: Ferencz So much for 7xxx mantle optimization :/ they really suck  

Really?  Did you actually just say that?  Mantle is pretty much AMD's big game changer.  They have announced that it would be supported by all 7xxx series cards and R series cards. Considering this is an AMD forum, a consumer with what is supposed to be a supported card asking about when he will receive the promised support for AMD's Mantle is nothing but logical, which makes your response quite rediculous. Maybe he doesn't want to buy a new console because he just dropped $300+ on a 7970 not even a year ago, before the R9 series cards were launched.  The card is still extremely relavent, and all he wants is to have the performance that Mantle is supposed to deliver.

Learn to distinguish marketing bullcrap from reality. Mantle will end up just like directx 10.1 and nvidia physix. Without support from everyone in the gaming market, it will forever remain some heavily advertised but hardly used fetaure. Except on consoles, where there is no competition.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/24/2014 01:45 PM

Author Icon
DieSvP
Peon

Mantle is working great for me. Some people think it's only working for low end computers but it's very good in high end pc's with multi gpu setups also.

I can see significant performance increase with Mantle and it's only just released.

Don't use it if you don't like it but stop whining about it.

04/24/2014 03:04 PM

Author Icon
MariuszDW
Peon

14.4 - massive improvement in DCS: World! At last!

old drivers
1.2.7 official - 32 fps
1.2.8 beta - 26 fps

14.4 beta
1.2.7 official - 50 fps
1.2.8 beta - 38 fps

04/25/2014 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Delicieuxz
Peon

Hey, I've found that Max Payne 3 will not load on my PC with either this or the previous Mantle beta driver (13.3). The game freezes with a black screen within seconds after clicking it's launch icon - and the method I have to use to close it is ctrl+alt+delete -> log off - wait for windows to force-close it, and then cancel the log off to not lose other open applications.

Normal ctrl+shift+escape does not work, and ctrl+alt+delete -> start task manger also does not work: task manager also then freezes.

i5 2500k
15 GB 1866 RAM
Gigabyte R9 280x
Windows 7 Ult 64

Edited: 04/27/2014 at 05:06 AM by Delicieuxz
 04/25/2014 03:27 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Delicieuxz Hey, I've found that Max Payne 3 will not load on my PC with either this or the previous Mantle beta driver (13.3). The game freezes with a black screen within seconds after clicking it's launch icon - and the method I have to use to close it is ctrl+alt+delete -> log off - wait for windows to force-close it, and then cancel the log off to not lose other open applications.

Normal ctrl+alt+escape does not work, and ctrl+alt+delete -> start task manger also does not work: task manager also then freezes.

i5 2500k 15 GB 1866 RAM Gigabyte R9 280x Windows 7 Ult 64

Use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the task manager directly.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/25/2014 08:35 PM

Author Icon
Omega1
Peon

Really?  Did you actually just say that?  Mantle is pretty much AMD's big game changer.  They have announced that it would be supported by all 7xxx series cards and R series cards. Considering this is an AMD forum, a consumer with what is supposed to be a supported card asking about when he will receive the promised support for AMD's Mantle is nothing but logical, which makes your response quite rediculous. Maybe he doesn't want to buy a new console because he just dropped $300+ on a 7970 not even a year ago, before the R9 series cards were launched.  The card is still extremely relavent, and all he wants is to have the performance that Mantle is supposed to deliver.

Learn to distinguish marketing bullcrap from reality. Mantle will end up just like directx 10.1 and nvidia physix. Without support from everyone in the gaming market, it will forever remain some heavily advertised but hardly used fetaure. Except on consoles, where there is no competition.

Except that Mantle has a leg up on things like nVidia's PhysX.  Mantle is the API that game developers are going to be developing for, since it is what both of the major consoles are operating on.  You obviously already know this, since you recommended buying a console.  Since most games nowadays are marketed to the console crowd, they are simply ported over to the PC, or are co-developed for the PC version.  So, since the consoles are running X86 architecture, and are using Mantle API, they are pretty much already just an AMD PC that uses a controller as far as developing a game goes.  
That makes it VERY easy for the developers to simply make the PC version, optimized for Mantle, then port it to the consoles at a graphics setting that the consoles can handle.  Don't you think that AMD thought of this when they created their partnerships with both Sony and Microsoft for the hardware?  If they can make it so EVERY  AAA game that comes out is optimized for their hardware, and optimized for their Mantle API, then they not only have the win on the console side, but a huge edge on the PC side.  It is still relatively new, so it will take time for it to mature, but I'm guessing after holiday 2014, we'll have numerous titles that take full advantage of Mantle.

04/25/2014 08:54 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Except that Mantle has a leg up on things like nVidia's PhysX.  Mantle is the API that game developers are going to be developing for, since it is what both of the major consoles are operating on.  You obviously already know this, since you recommended buying a console.  Since most games nowadays are marketed to the console crowd, they are simply ported over to the PC, or are co-developed for the PC version.  So, since the consoles are running X86 architecture, and are using Mantle API, they are pretty much already just an AMD PC that uses a controller as far as developing a game goes.   That makes it VERY easy for the developers to simply make the PC version, optimized for Mantle, then port it to the consoles at a graphics setting that the consoles can handle.  Don't you think that AMD thought of this when they created their partnerships with both Sony and Microsoft for the hardware?  If they can make it so EVERY  AAA game that comes out is optimized for their hardware, and optimized for their Mantle API, then they not only have the win on the console side, but a huge edge on the PC side.  It is still relatively new, so it will take time for it to mature, but I'm guessing after holiday 2014, we'll have numerous titles that take full advantage of Mantle.

Yes, games will come with mantle and directx, maybe opengl. Blue pill vs red pill. What is the difference? Nothing, in 1-2 years the PC will be lightyears ahead of consoles as usual. You'll get 400 fps with mantle and 350 with directx and opengl. Your monitor can display 60. So... Can anyone see any usefulness, not to mention advantage here? I can't.

04/25/2014 11:23 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Seems consoles are catching up to PCs...not the other way around.  Besides, for the last several years, PC sales are down in number as well as the percentage of total processors.

A young person in the near future is not going to ask parents for a PC on which to play the latest incarnation of COD or BF4...maybe a laptop; more likely, it'll be a console or a pad of some sort.

Non-noob components.

04/26/2014 11:38 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

What's going to happen is there will be an open streaming standard to kill nVidia Shield, and homes will have a central computer to which music, movies, games, and everything else are streamed to tablets or monitors with keyboards and mice, the same way things are done in the cloud today. However ISPs (at least in the US) will limit data caps horrendously, and hackers will undermine the (already limited) security of the cloud, which will kill streaming video game services. Once 1080p is replaced by 4K, that will kill the video streaming market.

04/27/2014 05:06 AM

Author Icon
Delicieuxz
Peon

Originally posted by: Delicieuxz Hey, I've found that Max Payne 3 will not load on my PC with either this or the previous Mantle beta driver (13.3). The game freezes with a black screen within seconds after clicking it's launch icon - and the method I have to use to close it is ctrl+alt+delete -> log off - wait for windows to force-close it, and then cancel the log off to not lose other open applications.

Normal ctrl+alt+escape does not work, and ctrl+alt+delete -> start task manger also does not work: task manager also then freezes.

i5 2500k 15 GB 1866 RAM Gigabyte R9 280x Windows 7 Ult 64

Use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the task manager directly.

Thanks, that's what I meant to say. Task Manager freezes.

04/27/2014 12:20 PM

Author Icon
Tam3n
Peon

The 14.4 are otherwise good drivers, but they keep giving me random BSODs with Flash videos. Back to 13.11 Beta9 lol...

04/27/2014 02:28 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Tam3n The 14.4 are otherwise good drivers, but they keep giving me random BSODs with Flash videos. Back to 13.11 Beta9 lol...

That's probably a powerplay issue, you're supposed to look for BIOS updates both for your card and motherboard.

04/27/2014 03:24 PM

Author Icon
Tam3n
Peon

Originally posted by: Tam3n The 14.4 are otherwise good drivers, but they keep giving me random BSODs with Flash videos. Back to 13.11 Beta9 lol...

That's probably a powerplay issue, you're supposed to look for BIOS updates both for your card and motherboard.

I'm highly sceptical about this... I have 2x Gigabyte R9 290 (OC) Windforce and they came with the latest BIOS. My motherboard is Asus P9X79, which has some newer BIOSes which mostly just add new processor support. I'll look into this if the situation doesn't get better with future driver releases... But for now I'll keep going with the 13.11 Betas, since BIOS updates are more likely break than fix things.

AMD Support and Game » Desktop Catalyst Drivers and Software » 14.4

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84733 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.