Topic Title: Blank display directly after Driver install reboot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/22/2014 06:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/22/2014 06:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
crimsonavenger
Peon

Graphics Card

XFX 512MB DDR3 5450

Model: ON-XFX1-ST

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
I've tried Anything and Everything; Newest to Legacy, through original install CD, through AMD website specifically for this card/OS version, AMD Autosearch, and Windows Update -- each one installs just fine -- with no errors reported, and many times I've ran the uninstall utility to make sure I get another clean install, but after rebooting i just get a blank screen after the windows 7 splash screen.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (mainly)

also Windows Server 2008 R2 (if possible)

Issue Details
I get a blank screen directly after installing the driver for this card. I had to wipe my system over the weekend and have re-installed everything, but can't get this videocard driver to work. I can't remember what work around (legacy, mobility, compatibility mode) I used when I initially built this system but nothing I can think of right now is working. Google results aren't helping much either. Yes before you ask, my bios has been updated to latest revision, and all windows updates are completed -- other than this driver.

After installing the driver (or CCC since ATI doesn't give the driver by itself) and rebooting I can see the Bios load screen, I can see the windows loading splash screen, but then after that its just a blank screen. I can hear windows logging on, but I do not see a logon screen. There are no onboard video outputs directly from the motherboard in order to get any video I have to reboot into safe mode and uninstall the ATI 5450 driver and reboot with Standard VGA adapter.

I can work around the resolution settings for now, with the standard vga driver I am still able to pull 1400x+ on one monitor, or 1280x1024 with cloned monitors, (so we know its not hardware related) but I really miss my extended multiple monitor setup that I used for studying/multi-tasking, and I can't do that without the drivers (CCC) working properly. I had CCC working up until the weekend, where nothing physical has happened (to the card itself or system in general) other than the OS wipe and load.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS 990FX (latest BIOS // and no onboard video)

Power Supply

Corsair CX500

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
1x Asus VE208T DVI

1x Acer P206HL VGA

1x Vizio E320VP HDMI

Applications and Games

NA

CPU Details

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3Ghz CPU

Motherboard BIOS Version

System Memory Type & Amount
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600

Additional Hardware
1x Processor fan, 3x Case Fans

1x BRD RW Drive

3x Sata2 500GB+ HDD; 1x OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD

Additional Details
Brand new OS Install, no hardware malfunctions, no BIOS error reports

Update:

I had to manually install the drivers for the monitors instead of the generic windows drivers, re-installed the ATI CCC, unplugged everything except for analog, and after reboot it came up and I was able to add the other video interfaces. It wouldn't do that for some reason when I had the DVI connection as the only one plugged in that I tried previously.

Edited: 04/23/2014 at 04:51 AM by crimsonavenger
 04/22/2014 04:51 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

You say you experience a blank screen but then you don't under certain conditions. Have you tried connecting to just one monitor under original settings?  Auto detect refresh rate? ACHI enabled? Does the fan operate on the video card?

There are 3 models of 990FX...no other letters or numbers on your model, right?

Is OS on the SSD?  Check to see if system recognizes that in Boot Priority in BIOS.

Rarely is the OS wipe/reinstall a reliable solution unless system is completely locked up or you suffered the death of an HDD especially in certain RAID arrays.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

04/22/2014 05:06 PM

Author Icon
crimsonavenger
Peon

Thanks for the reply.

1. Never said under certain conditions, it worked before I wiped it now I can't get it to under any of the driver install methods, nor legacy CCC editions. For some reason I seem to remember a mobility driver or compatibility mode having worked for me the first time around, but I can't remember exactly how I did it, nor can I find it via google.

1a. Yes, same conditions still apply whether only one monitor is connected or all, its fine under generic drivers, but I am not able to get extended desktop support or advanced features made for the video card because I can't get into windows after the driver install reboot.

1b. There is no fan on the video card it is a passive cooling card, heatsink only. I know it works physically under generic drivers because it is my only video option.

2. Yes 990FX the original ASUS Sabertooth AMD AM3 offering when it came out in 2011.

3. No. The Bios and W7 Disk Management both recognize the disk but I do not currently have an OS loaded onto it. Currently I have everything disabled under the boot menu other than the OS HDD and the BR drive.

4. I had to wipe and load because it was locked, and none of my boot utilities were able to save me this time around.

04/22/2014 07:57 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Well, you said you had a "work around".

Recommend you get another video card with 2GB-3GB instead of 512Mb.  Will complement your good mobo, RAM and processor.  Would look into getting a much stronger PSU, also.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

04/23/2014 04:45 AM

Author Icon
crimsonavenger
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong Well, you said you had a "work around".

Recommend you get another video card with 2GB-3GB instead of 512Mb.  Will complement your good mobo, RAM and processor.  Would look into getting a much stronger PSU, also.

As far as the work-around the first time around, I also said that I don't remember exactly what it was that I used to get it working.

But nonetheless I did finally get it working this time around. I had to manually install the drivers for the monitors instead of the generic windows drivers, re-installed the ATI CCC, unplugged everything except for analog, and after reboot it came up and I was able to add the other video interfaces. It wouldn't do that for some reason when I had the DVI connection as the only one plugged in that I tried previously.

The PSU I don't need to upgrade, right now at idle it is a little less than 100w total factoring in the monitors as well, at peak right around half of my PSU rating. There's no point in upgrading when its just going to be wasted energy. Corsair is solid engineering as it is.

As far as the videocard though, I do agree with you to a point, I see it hitting the wall from time to time but I really don't game... so it would be almost pointless to upgrade another component that adds noise and unused power consumption to my system just to get that capability. At most demand, it will be a HTPC, otherwise I generally use it as my VM Lab/General Study computer. What would you recommend for a passively cooled (fan-less) PCI-X powered card that is capable of actively running three monitors?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102960

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121706

or something else?

04/23/2014 05:34 AM

Author Icon
SKiDKiD
Peon

from the 2 options you are giving this one looks like the winner:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121706

but in general not recommended, passive air cooled GPUs are just useless, I'd recommend using the intel GPU if it was the 4500 or 4200 series instead but you have an old configuration which runs less powerful series.

but since you are only running VM applications you don't need that grafix horse power anyways.

Statistics
86516 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.