Topic Title: [14.4] <Solution> Windows 7 Loading Hang after Update
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/29/2014 09:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2014 09:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lu5ck
Peon

This is for AMD users, not for INTEL.

Hi everyone,

Like some of you, I too happily download the supposedly latest stable release and install it. Unfortunately, like some of you, the windows stuck at the loading screen.

I spent hour figuring why, obviously, the first thing I do is try to revert the drivers but I had troubles entering safe mode. Thanks to my experience in IT line, I made a intelligent guess and switch AHCI to IDE. That's right, the fault lies with the AHCI driver.

The solution is simple. DO NOT UPDATE THE SATA DRIVER!

I do not know if this problem is limited to specific AMD chipset or all the chipsets. Anyway, to those who have updated the SATA driver, you have to revert back to your old chipset, basically 13.12.

Here are steps to revert to your old AHCI chipset *I will not be responsible for anything*

1. Enter bios, switch AHCI to IDE
  2. Boot into windows
  3. Go to "Regedit"
  4. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services"
  5. Look for "amd_sata" and "amd_xata", delete them.
  6. Reboot
  7. Download 13.12 chipset from official link here
  8. Run the installer, extract the files, close the installer
  9. Go to "Device Manager"
  10. Click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller"
  11. Go to "Action", click "Add legacy hardware"
  12. Click "Next", select manual install, click "Next" and "Next" again
  13. Click "Have Disk" and browse to the folder where the files were extracted to
  14. Go to "Packages\Drivers\SBDrv" choose your chipset type then your OS type and install it. If you do not know what's your chipset, download CPU-Z
  15. If you see a new device called "AMD SATA Controller" with a exclamation mark, then you can skip the next step and go to step 17.
  16. For those who have problem. You need to open up and edit "amd_sata.inf". Look for the line that contain "AmdSataPMDisabled", there is only one such line. Add "xFF" to the "0", it will look like "0xFF". Repeat steps 9 to 15 again.
  17. Reboot
  18. Go to "Device Manager", uninstall the "AMD SATA Controller", make sure the delete driver is unchecked.
  19. Reboot
  20. Enter bios, switch IDE to AHCI
  21. Good luck
PS: Before doing all of above, you might want to try "Last Known Good Configuration". It doesn't work for me so I had to go through all of these.
Credit to Brian for providing the step 16.

Edited: 04/29/2014 at 09:31 PM by Lu5ck
 06/02/2014 05:52 PM

Author Icon
chertles
Peon

I couldn't get the amd sata controller with ! mark to show up untill i downloaded the motherboard chipset driver from gigabyte, its a 7xx chipset but the 70x in the 13.12 link didn't work, go figure.

But thanks, hopefully this works.

They really shouldn't have included this system breaker in the 14.6 beta, easy to accidentally download as they are on the same page.  And "startup repair" replaces safemode for me after the broken boot so, i couldn'e ven do that.  Luckily I remembered to try going ide native.

Well heres crossing my fingers...reboot time

06/02/2014 07:42 PM

Author Icon
chertles
Peon

many reboots later I think it worked.

1.2.0.125 from gigabyte and is in use right now

1.2.1.349  from your link didn't work for me

1.2.1.359 the faulty one that broke my system

anyways thanks for you help, probably saved me an additional half a day to restore my system.  Already lost 4+ hours to this and thats also because I have just enough IT knowledge to even guess at ahci.  Your other steps were very helpful though.

Anyways thanks, but very disappointed amd allow such a dangerous problem to persist.  Just swapped from nvidia to amd today, and its just a bad start when it should have been a happy upgrade.

Also the AMD gaming evolved, had to be removed as "raptr" I couldn't find it at first, not good amd, not good behavior.  Also it wouldn't let me uncheck it even on the 14.4 installer.

06/02/2014 09:04 PM

Author Icon
chertles
Peon

Ah CCC won't start, if its not one thing its another

06/03/2014 08:37 AM

Author Icon
joeh4384
Peon

You think AMD would test this ***** on their own platforms. 

06/03/2014 12:19 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: joeh4384 You think AMD would test this ***** on their own platforms. 

Well, the AMD chip might be 2% of a motherboard. Maybe I said too much. They can't test every single motherboard. The solution would be not releasing these drivers to the public, only to motherboard manufacturers. Have you ever had problems with manufacturer AHCI drivers? I guessed so...

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

06/09/2014 09:02 PM

Author Icon
Alostx
Peon

Test the Drivers 13.5 Beta 2 (The Best) Any say 13.9 others 13.12 and others 13.11 beta 4... And Never the Catalyst 14.1 in forward .... 14.2...14.3...14.4... and 14.6... Never) Drop Fps and problems and only support to the Series R7 and R9.

The best drivers for Catalyst is: 13.5 Beta 2, Good Luck for me work ultra fine.

Look here:

http://www.ngohq.com/?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=18 

Statistics
84977 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.