Topic Title: CCC Auto Install Raptr - custom install
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/07/2014 09:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/07/2014 09:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

Hey,

I just decided to check AMD for CCC / Driver update and saw 14.4 - so downloaded and installed.

As usual, when installing CCC, I uninstalled first then re installed after a PC restart.

I chose a custom install as I usually do and in component selection 'AMD Gaming Evolved APP' was checked with no way to uncheck it (there was a check but no check box).

After install, I got the Raptr window askin me to proceed and telling that in doing so  I agreed to Raptr usage agreement.

First, I do not want Raptr on my PC. Second, what's the point of a custom install where an unwanted component cannot be deselected?

I am about to uninstall Raptr but I am very disappointed at this move by AMD to force install or stealth install a program I simply do not want. I do not care how much anyone says Raptr is good for my system - I do not want it and do not like the way it is being 'delivered' regardless of customer choice.

05/07/2014 09:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

It sounds like it was installed before. That's exactley the way it was for me. If you looked closer, you would probably see the reason it was not selectable was because "it already installed and up to date. Remove it using 'uninstall a progra' but also go into regedit and search for all instances of raptr. There will be several.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/08/2014 06:54 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

It was already installed by the time you reached that part. The autodetect utility installs it to punish stupid people who rely on it. Just don't use it. If you have no idea what card you have, then take a look at it closely, it is written on it.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

05/08/2014 11:42 AM

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

I appreciate the answers and I appreciate what is being said. However I can say with certainty that Raptr was not installed previously.

I recently rebuilt my main PC with new parts including a new msata drive for the OS. I installed the OS 'as new' and then installed CCC - a custom install without Raptr. I also checked all installed programs (from fresh install) before setting up OS to use a seperate HDD for docs and downloads and other user files before installing any games or other programs i use.

Before I installed the new CCC, I ran the install and did an uninstall, restarted PC and checked 'programs and features' from control panel. Niether CCC or Raptr appeared (as expected). It was only after this that I re ran the installer and tried to avoid Raptr as I do not want it.

To reiterate; RAPTR WAS NOT EVER INSTALLED ON THE PC.

EDIT: RAPTR was never deliberately installed or given permission to install.

As for not knowing which card I'm using, I know exactly which cards are in use! I bought the matching cards to run in crossfire in what is, essentially, a new build. Please try not to be so condescending.

Edited to tidy up.

Edited: 05/22/2014 at 04:51 PM by nightwatch
 05/08/2014 11:47 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: nigh*****ch I appreciate the answers and I appreciate what is being said. However I can say with certainty that Raptr was not installed previously.

I recently rebuilt my main PC with new parts including a new msata drive for the OS. I installed the OS 'as new' and then installed CCC - a custom install without Raptr. I also checked all installed programs (from fresh install) before setting up OS to use a seperate HDD for do*****ents and downloads and other user files before installing any games or other programs i use.

I installed the new CCC, I ran the install and did an uninstall, restarted PC and checked 'programs and features' from control panel. Niether CCC or Raptr appeared (as expected). It was only after this that I re rean installer and tried to avoid Raptr as I do not want it.

To reiterate; RAPTR WAS NOT EVER INSTALLED ON THE PC.

As for not knowing which card I'm using, I know exactly which cards are in use! I bought the matching cards to run in crossfire in what is, essentially, a new build. Please try not to be so condescending.

Before

Programs and features will not show anything. It will have two entries viewable from "uninstall a program" where 'gaming evolved' will be and the registry where 'raptr' will be found. Uninstalling 'gaming evolved' will not be enough.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

05/22/2014 12:29 PM

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

Programs and features will not show anything. It will have two entries viewable from "uninstall a program" where 'gaming evolved' will be and the registry where 'raptr' will be found. Uninstalling 'gaming evolved' will not be enough.

So! The average user that will not know how to manipulte the registry is stuck?

Uninstalling 'gaming evolved' should be enough. As it is, gaming evloved is not shown at all in my 'Uninstall or change a program' list. RAPTR IS NOT IN THE LIST EITHER.

I did previously go through registry with regedit ('Find Next') to eliminate any occurance of ATI or AMD or Raptr. First thing I see is an entry showing 'Raptr location'. Tried to access that location and it simply does not exist (not hidden). I slogged on with the searches and eliminated all that I thought safe to do so. I did this again today in prep for new CCC / drivers.

Anyways, I wanted to install the latest CCC / drivers (14.4) So ran the installer, picked uninstall, restarted PC after uninstall, re ran installer picked install, picked custom (I do not want Gaming Evolved App) and pressed next. Have you guessed what comes next? The custom install still has AMD Evolved APP checked and it cannot be unchecked and the installer insists that AMD Gaming Evolved APP is installed. I closed the installer.

I checked 'uninstall or change a program' to find no trace of AMD gaming app, not trace of ATI /AMD except;

'AMD Catalyst Install Manager'

That will not uninstall but has 'Change' and 'Repair' options. I pick 'Uninstall Manager' and 'Custom' only to get 'There are no components currently installed' and this is good! (CCC is different to Gaming EVolved / Raptr but surely there should be an easy uninstall for unwanted Gaming Evolved / Raptr).

I'm jumping through hoops so to say to try to get rid of 'AMD Gaming Evolved APP' and this should not be the case.

As is, I still feel I am being forced to accept Gaming EVolved / Raptr - even when choosing not to install. CCC installer still insist the Gaming EVolved App is installed and up to date. I find this whole experience with AMD / ATI / Gaming Evolved to be very bad.

I'm about to give up for the time being as I have other things to do. If any easy and complete uninstall tool for Gaming Evolved App and or Raptr is available, a link would be appreciated!

EDIT: I never asked for Raptr / Gming Evolved APP. I always do a custom install. I cannot run Raptr to uninstall because it is not available to run (tried various typed phrases in win 8.1 start and there simply is no app!)

EDIT: I've been looking for this problem and a solution online. It seems there are many people like me that did not use an express install and do not want Gaming Evolved / Raptr and cannot remove said from system or cannot stop CCC install installing such as they cannot untick the option in CCC custom install. People are being told 'you must have installed Gaming Evolved / Raptr by choice or done an express install' where this is simply not the case. On the Raptr forums I see a mod being really arogant about the issue and not at all helpful - it seems the companies involved do not want the user to be able to fully uninstall Raptr and are not offering an uninstall tool via forum posts.

Had I known about this issue, I would have bought from a competitor. As is, it seems I am now stuck with unsolicited / unwanted software. I'm truly disgusted with AMD over this issue.

Edited: 05/22/2014 at 02:46 PM by nightwatch
 05/22/2014 04:00 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

These Raptr threads are getting to the point where one of us is going to have to pretend we are a techilliterate, install Raptr, and then post a detailed step by step with screenshots procedure on how to remove it. Or hell, just start telling them to open msconfig and uncheck Raptr from startup and stop its service (if it has one).

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/22/2014 04:41 PM

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion These Raptr threads are getting to the point where one of us is going to have to pretend we are a techilliterate, install Raptr, and then post a detailed step by step with screenshots procedure on how to remove it. Or hell, just start telling them to open msconfig and uncheck Raptr from startup and stop its service (if it has one).

Here's the thing(s);

• I have no sign of Raptr (or Gaming Evolved) in 'Uninstall or change program'.
  • I've gone through registry to get rid of Raptr / ATI / AMD.
  • (CCC is uninstalled)
  • msconfig, shows no related items in any tab, msconfig>Startup sends me to 'Open Task Manager' (win 8.1) which I do so.
  • Task Manager> Start-up has no sign of ATI/AMD or Raptr.
  • Task Manager> Processes has no sign of ATI/AMD or Raptr.
  • Task Manager>Services has no sign of ATI/AMD or Raptr.
  • A search of folders in my PC brings up nothing for AMD/ATI/Raptr. (Except for CCC install apps).

So! In short, it appears that I do not have Raptr or AMD Gaming Evolved on my system.

However, when running CCC install and selecting 'Custom' because I do not want AMD Gaming Evolved / Raptr I still have no way to disable AMD Gaming Evolved APP. Why do I not have the ability to disable AMD Gaming Evolved APP? Because the list of components in 'Customize Install' contains a check for AMD Gaming Evolved APP but it has no check box and cannot be disabled. Furthermore, 'Customize Install' still shows AMD Gaming Evolved APP as 'already installed and up to date'.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that I do not want, did not ask for and did not permit AMD Gaming Evolved APP to install? Why am I not believed when I state that I have never done an express install as I always choose 'custom' or its variant? Why after doing all I have listed is CCC install still insisting that AMD Gaming Evolved APP is still installed?

Deny me all you like! Continue to infer that I am a liar or incompetant. It will not change the fact that I have done as listed or that CCC still shows AMD Gaming Evolved APP as installed.

All I am asking here is for a definate uninstall and or CCC to first recognize that I do not have AMD Gaming Evolved APP installed and then to not force or stealth install an app on my PC that I have no use for and do not want.

Constructive answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

05/22/2014 05:06 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: nightwatch Why is it so hard for people to understand that I do not want, did not ask for and did not permit AMD Gaming Evolved APP to install?

I wonder who clicked that download button then. Find and slap them! You aren't even forced to have an AMD card...

Why am I not believed when I state that I have never done an express install as I always choose 'custom' or its variant? Why after doing all I have listed is CCC install still insisting that AMD Gaming Evolved APP is still installed?

Thing is, I installed recent Catalyst versions numerous times since your OP. Updating by installing on top of older versions as well as clean windows installs with clean catalyst installs. Not once did that crap install and I always had the chance to untick it during installation.

Tip: Maybe look for other programs that might install it. You may have had it from somewhere else. It might be installed by free software like the ask toolbar and stuff like that. Maybe some cheapo mmos install it. Who knows, it's worth a google search.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

05/22/2014 06:02 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I've never had Raptr forcefully install itself either, not with 14.1, 14.4 leaked pre-release, or 14.4 WHQL.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/22/2014 06:14 PM

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

I wonder who clicked that download button then. Find and slap them! You aren't even forced to have an AMD card...

Get real! I bought AMD as I trusted AMD and downloaded the CCC / driver install from the AMD website. Your argument is seriously flawed and unhelpful.

Thing is, I installed recent Catalyst versions numerous times since your OP. Updating by installing on top of older versions as well as clean windows installs with clean catalyst installs. Not once did that crap install and I always had the chance to untick it during installation.

So! You are not experiencing any problem. That does not mean that there is no problem. You always had the chance to un tick - I have not. In a way I wish I could invite you to come and view the issue first hand. You probably still would not believe it though.

Tip: Maybe look for other programs that might install it. You may have had it from somewhere else. It might be installed by free software like the ask toolbar and stuff like that. Maybe some cheapo mmos install it. Who knows, it's worth a google search.

What other programs? I have non that have asked to install AMD Gaming Evolved or Raptr. Free software is not the culprit either. I always check what is being installed whether a program is paid or free. I concede that a program may have stealth installed Raptr but I have nothing that 'fits the bill'- there is not a lot installed on this machine (where the issue is) other than windows, ms office, firefox and TESO. There are a few other programs but nothing that asks / asked for additional, third party, installs. I never use 'toolbars' in browsers such as you suggest either.

As For MMOs, I have TESO installed and in use. The other MMOs I have are include LOTRO, SWTOT, STO, AOC, GW, GW2 and RIFT. NON of which have been installed / used since before my PC upgrade and all are on a separate hard drive 'mothballed'.

Google this issue and see how many people are complaining about it.

I see now how unfriendly this forum is and how unhelpful. I wish it was not so.

If anyone wants to post a positive and helpful post then please do.

For those trolling, you really are not impressing anyone.

05/22/2014 06:18 PM

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion I've never had Raptr forcefully install itself either, not with 14.1, 14.4 leaked pre-release, or 14.4 WHQL.

This does not mean the problem does not exist.

Even if Raptr or AMD Gaming Evolved was not force or stealth installed why is it so hard to get shot of?

If I have truly eliminated Raptr or AMD Gaming Evolve as I suspect, why is CCC still insisting it is installed and upto date and blocking the check change?

Against my better judgement I'll try the CCC install and see what happens. Then if Raptr / AMD Gaming Evolved is re installed I'll try uninstall again.

In the meantime, I have asked for a mod to review this thread and suggest any help.

Edited: 05/22/2014 at 06:25 PM by nightwatch
 05/22/2014 06:43 PM

Author Icon
nightwatch
Peon

So! I have installed '14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql'.

It did NOT allow me to change the relevant check and showed AMD Gaming Evolved App as installed and up to date.

However, AMD Gaming Evolved App was not, it seems re installed. Raptr is nowhere to be seen either.

I should not have had to 'jump through hoops' for the uninstall though.

Further to this, the CCC install option for custom install is OK but it should not have the relevant check box permachecked.

This may not be an issue that effects all CCC installs but it is a real issue and I hink AMD should investigate it.

I'm just happy for now to have the CCC and drivers and will watch very carefully in future when installing (as I always do).

To those that did seemingly want to give positive and or helpful feed back - thanks - I do appreciate the effort.

05/22/2014 08:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Earlier post

As you can see by that post, this issue is nothing new. AMD has not changed the way it's installed, nor does it seem likely they will. There is no 'report form' to bring this to the attention of the powers that be. There must be some money to be made somehow..or else why even include it? It's crapware of the highest order. Complaning here however  does no good. The average user would install the way they have always done it (and automatically find and install doesn't even give a warning/choice) and not realize what raptr or gaming evolved actually is. They should make it a seperate, optional download.

05/22/2014 08:54 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I imaging Raptr pays AMD a fee to include it in their installer, the same way McAfee, Symantec, Google, Ask, Yahoo, Microsoft, and quite a number of other companies do to Oracle (Java), Adobe, and many freeware programs. "Average users" need to educate themselves against clicking through screens or choosing an express installation so they won't wind up with a computer full of malware, or worse, their identity stolen.

05/22/2014 08:57 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: black_zion I imaging Raptr pays AMD a fee to include it in their installer, the same way McAfee, Symantec, Google, Ask, Yahoo, Microsoft, and quite a number of other companies do to Oracle (Java), Adobe, and many freeware programs. "Average users" need to educate themselves against clicking through screens or choosing an express installation so they won't wind up with a computer full of malware, or worse, their identity stolen.

True about the learning. How does that help the people who choose the "automatically detect and install"?

05/22/2014 09:27 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Did you ever touch something hot your mother told you not to touch? Or try to do a trick on your bicycle after saying "Hey, watch me!"? What about getting cocky and trying to do stuff in your computer case without shutting off the power and all you end up doing was breaking a fan blade? Sometimes life's lessons are hard, just ask all the people who lost their money to a supposed Nigerian prince, or responded to a "confirm your account" email.

05/22/2014 10:52 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: nightwatch I see now how unfriendly this forum is and how unhelpful. I wish it was not so.

Visit any forum, stupidity and laziness won't be welcome anywhere. Same for complaining for the sake of complaining.

Originally posted by: stumped How does that help the people who choose the "automatically detect and install"?

They deserve it.

05/29/2014 11:10 AM

Author Icon
zebra1414
Peon

For what it's worth, I decided to upgrade my CCC package last night and got this Raptr (craptr) stuff installed.  I saw no way of saying no to it's installation.  Nor could I escape clicking "next" which bound me to their terms of service.  I manually shut down the process in Task Manager then rebooted.  The "AMD Gaming Evolved" window came back.  I then decided to play the game but foolishly did not disable my internet connection.  When I saw that it was grabbing information about my computer and uploading it to the Raptr servers, I am a little more than pissed.  Like others, I had no way of saying "NO" to the installation of this if I wanted to get the latest CCC update.  Perhaps if I found JUST the driver package, I could install that without updating the Catalyst Control Center, and therefore not get this malware installed on my PC.  After shutting it down, I then went into control panel to Programs and Features and sorted by installation date - sure enough, along with the AMD Catalyst Install Manager, was "Raptr" which I then uninstalled.  I hope all vestiges of it are gone, but like others, this has put a bad taste in my mouth.  AMD, what are you thinking?  In today's world, you NEVER force something on your customers that they don't want or ask for.  If you do try to force something, at least give an option for the customer (me) to say NO because I do NOT want that Raptr stuff on my PC.  Time to go back to the 13x drivers or yank the ATI card out and put back in an Nvidia card.  You insult customer's intellegence with this tact, AMD.  Take heed, please, and do not force this Raptr (craptr) down our collective throats!  Thank you.

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel i7-3770i, 16 GB Corsair XMS3 RAM, OCZ Revo boot drive, 17TB total disk storage, Antec Kuhler 620 H2O CPU cooler, Antec 300 cas, Corsair 750 power supply, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

05/29/2014 11:43 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

That's a blatant lie. There is a warning in the installer that if you proceed with the express mode, you'll get it installed. You had a warning and you had a chance not to install it.

So don't post false information. Post that you're blind or ignorant, because it was you that didn't heed the warning.

Yes, I agree, it shouldn't be bundled. However posting lies is evil. And you know what happens to evil...

PS: You're not my customer, you never was and never will be. Also I never insulted you (up to this point, that is...) So that's a lie again. Or is it blindness again and you couldn't even find out what kind of forum you signed up for? Well, that speaks for itself...

Statistics
84247 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.