Topic Title: Unable to update drivers
Topic Summary: New display drivers not working
Created On: 05/24/2014 12:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/24/2014 12:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vath
Peon

I should mention right now that I am not well versed in ATI graphics cards and their workings, as prior to my current graphics card I have no experience using them.

Alright, this is a bit of a strange situation so I'll try to give as much information as possible to try to make this make sense.

I am (supposedly) running an ATI Radeon HD 6750 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.  I am also using an Intel Core i7 processor.  My computer is a desktop, to be specific a Gateway FX 6860.

The reason I said my graphics card is "supposedly" an ATI Radeon HD 6750 is because my software says it's something else.  According to my device manager, dxdiag and Catalyst Control Center, it is an ATI 5000 series.

Now, I have done my research to the best of my ability to make sure I was downloading the correct drivers.  At first, I allowed the auto-detect utility to run, except it greeted me with the error: "Unable to connect to server, could not parse error."  I decided to just get the correct drivers manually off the site.

I selected the drivers for "Windows 8.1/Windows 8/Windows 7 (64-bit)" under "Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, HD 7000, HD 6000 and HD 5000 Series" on the Drivers + Support page.  As far as I can tell, regardless of whether my graphics card is 5000 series or 6750, that appeared to be the correct one.

From there, I clicked install to download the drivers and it ran as it should.  It uninstalled the old drivers and made my display look weird, as was expected, and then it, without an error message, supposedly failed to instal the new ones.  It gave me a prompt saying that the installation was complete and that I should restart my computer.  I did, but my screen was still messed up and I was immediately greeted with a message along the lines of "AMD display driver not installed or not working properly.  Please select the correct driver."

The only way to fix my display from there is to do a system restore.  I'm not sure if this is the case but from what I can tell it's uninstalling the old one and failing to install the new one.  I don't know if this is an issue with the software or if i'm installing the wrong driver or something else, though.  Does anyone know a possible way this could be fixed?

Edited: 05/27/2014 at 07:21 PM by Vath
 05/24/2014 12:14 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

To perform a 'clean install' of AMD graphics drivers:

1. IMPORTANT: All Windows Updates should be current, including the 'optional/suggested' updates
2. IMPORTANT: Disable all anti-virus/ad blockers/anti-malware/ anti-anything before trying to install
3. IMPORTANT: Netframework is required and must be the latest version. (from Windows Update)

Create a system restore point before, just in caes.

Download the drivers for your computer to the desktop.  These

Delete existing drivers from your computer:

In computer control panel select 'uninstall a program'
For computers with Intel processors:
Select AMD install manager and choose 'express uninstall all AMD software'
Including the install manager.

For computers with AMD processors:
Select AMD install manager and 'custom uninstall' the graphics drivers and CCC only.

Reboot 

Install the new driver suite.

Reboot

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/24/2014 01:21 PM

Author Icon
kzinti1
Peon

I have the same problem.

I've followed all the links and did everything I'm supposed to, to get these 14.4 drivers to install.

This is the 6th time trying. I deleted the original drivers because they apparently became corrupted, giving images that looked like a bad printing job, where the print heads are misaligned. Broken letters and multiple colors where the letters should be solid black.

I uninstalled those drivers using the AMD uninstall utility, then downloaded and tried to install the 14.4 drivers.

I always get the mss. "Application Install: install package failure!"

I've checked every component in my system and can find nothing wrong with the hardware.

I've never received any install error like this before and haven't any idea as to what to do now.

Any ideas would be thoroughly appreciated.

The specs in my sig. are valid.

ASUS Rampage IV-E_i7-3930K @ 4.6GHz_4x4GB Corsair Platinum @ 2400MHz_2xMSI R9 290X Lightnings_Corsair 1200i_2x 500GB Samsung Pro SSD's_Toshiba 6G 3TB HDD_Win 7 Pro sp1
 05/24/2014 01:29 PM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Originally posted by: Vath

I selected the drivers for "Windows 8.1/Windows 8/Windows 7 (64-bit)" under "Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, HD 7000, HD 6000 and HD 5000 Series" on the Drivers + Support page.  As far as I can tell, regardless of whether my graphics card is 5000 series or 6750, that appeared to be the correct one.

It will be for 6000 series only.Use the drop downs as in the pic below.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

05/24/2014 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Vath
Peon

Neither of the suggestions here worked, both having produced the same result as detailed in the original post.

Also, a bit of additional information since I did reproduce the error:

1. After installing the new drivers and rebooting, the Catalyst Control Center will no longer start, and will display a message saying it is unable to start as it has no settings that it can adjust.

2. Using the AMD install manager, as mentioned in stumped's post, to repair damaged files yielded no results.

Both drivers failed to deliver any different results, with the only noticable difference being that installing the new drivers prompted me to create a folder for them, which was only as a result of me having removed said folders prior to installing the new ones.

05/24/2014 10:47 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: kzinti1 I have the same problem.

I've followed all the links and did everything I'm supposed to, to get these 14.4 drivers to install.

This is the 6th time trying. I deleted the original drivers because they apparently became corrupted, giving images that looked like a bad printing job, where the print heads are misaligned. Broken letters and multiple colors where the letters should be solid black.

I uninstalled those drivers using the AMD uninstall utility, then downloaded and tried to install the 14.4 drivers.

I always get the mss. "Application Install: install package failure!"

I've checked every component in my system and can find nothing wrong with the hardware.

I've never received any install error like this before and haven't any idea as to what to do now.

Any ideas would be thoroughly appreciated.

The specs in my sig. are valid.

The AMD clean uninstall utility has caused issues and should not be used. Use system restore to a earlier time. Then update your computer through Windows Update..suggested/recommended updates as well. Then install the new driver suite....following the above outline.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/25/2014 12:22 AM

Author Icon
kzinti1
Peon

Thanks, but there's no need to now.I unhooked my ssd and hdd then installed a new, spare ssd and Windows.As soon as I booted back into the Windows environment the corruption was already there.It's down to either the motherboard or cpu.I have a new cpu I'm going to try later but I doubt it's that.Most likely the board has gone bad. It's well within the warranty period so I guess an RMA will be in order.Thinking back, it seems there have been more than a few times something just didn't seem right with this board and I guess it's finally crapped out.Thanks, again.

ASUS Rampage IV-E_i7-3930K @ 4.6GHz_4x4GB Corsair Platinum @ 2400MHz_2xMSI R9 290X Lightnings_Corsair 1200i_2x 500GB Samsung Pro SSD's_Toshiba 6G 3TB HDD_Win 7 Pro sp1
 05/27/2014 06:01 PM

Author Icon
Vath
Peon

Trying to put as much additional information as possible that I can dig up to try to get some help here.  Over the past couple of days I've managed to break my display drivers about 15 or so times trying to fix this, each time no more successful than the last.

I tried a different install path, to no avail.  The same issue arose.

Catalyst Control Center no longer functions at all, it seems.  I may just need to restart my computer but it's not working anymore.

EDIT: On the subject of Catalyst Control Center, my computer did not need a reboot; it's broken.  Not starting, no error message.

My software no longer says I am using an HD 5000 series, but now says it's HD 5700 series.  Still incorrect, I am using an HD 6750.

Out of curiosity, I ran a check of my system to realize that the Catalyst Install Manager does not completely delete every AMD file, which I didn't think it did.  I think the leftover files were just installers, though.

Using the Catalyst Install Manager to uninstall all AMD files did change the display and make it look strange before promptly returning it to its original state.  Installing the new drivers will then leave the display broken and give me the error message about missing or non-functioning drivers.

Out of curiosity, I let Steam check if my drivers were up to date.  It said they were, but my drivers are not up to date.

EDIT 2:

After uninstalling the drivers, but not installing the new ones, my Device Manager will display correctly that I have an AMD Radeon HD 6750.  At this point, Catalyst Control Center is unavailable, and Steam will say my drivers must be updated, however allowing it to search for updates will then make it display a message that the drivers are up to date.

EDIT 3:

After my most recent attempt at fixing this, I tried starting Catalyst Control Center.  I recieved an error this time: "Could not load file or assembly 'CCC.Implementation' or one of its dependencies.  The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."

EDIT 4:

Changed the original post to mention I am using a Gateway FX 6860.

Edited: 05/27/2014 at 07:23 PM by Vath
 05/27/2014 07:49 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Try "Uninstall"..."Driver Fusion"..."Reinstall".

Non-noob components.

05/27/2014 09:43 PM

Author Icon
Vath
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong

Try "Uninstall"..."Driver Fusion"..."Reinstall".

Normally I would consider this, but given that this is a forum, a very undetailed post on a forum at that, and that you appear to be suggesting that I use third-party software for this, I think I'll pass up on your suggestion, since...

1. It is completely possible that, for the amount of information I have on it, it could make a change that a system restore could not repair.

2. I downloaded said software and ran it to check if it even said my drivers are outdated, and it proceeded to tell me my drivers were up to date.  Thusfar not a single program (at least ones designed to do so) has been able to tell my drivers aren't up to date, and it doesn't speak well of the program if it too is unable to make that distinction.

Edited: 05/27/2014 at 09:53 PM by Vath
 05/27/2014 11:33 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Hmmm....

Those five words (including "try")  I posted brought me success....go ahead and use as many words as you feel are needed.

BTW...disabled System Restore as superfluous, long ago.

Non-noob components.

05/28/2014 07:14 PM

Author Icon
Vath
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong

Hmmm....

Those five words (including "try")  I posted brought me success....go ahead and use as many words as you feel are needed.

BTW...disabled System Restore as superfluous, long ago. 

To my benefit, after AMD technical support suggested something along the lines of the same five words, I tried it and, unlike you, this process made the problem worse.  The effects of the missing drivers are now irreversable, as I predicted.  A system restore can no longer return the drivers to their previous state.

To update on information, at this point upon installing the new drivers I recieve, during installation, an error saying that ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Drivers are unsigned and that Windows will not install it.  After doing some research it seems these drivers are vital to the functioning of the whole setup.  All attempts to make Windows, the source of the new error, ignore the driver supposedly being unsigned, has been met with failure.

With luck, getting this fixed will in turn fix the problem I'm having, however given my luck with this as of late, I am less than optimistic that my problems with these drivers will end there.  Nonetheless, any suggestions towards getting this fixed are appreciated.

05/28/2014 10:53 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Repeat procedure...then install an older driver set.

Non-noob components.

Statistics
85287 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.