Topic Title: My display doesn't 'wake' during the morning so to speak
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/31/2014 02:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/31/2014 02:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheIcon
Peon

I leave my computer on overnight. I wake up, go to my PC, I see my monitor blank but my computer is on (the power green light is not blinking, so I don't think the computer is sleeping) but the monitor is all blank, even though it is powered on and I manually turned on the monitor and off just in case. I tried to give numerous input from keyboard and mouse to 'wake it', but nothing happens. The monitor light is blue (not flashing) just to note. The only thing I can do is push the hard restart button.

This has been happening since Catalyst 14.4 I believe (not sure) but didn't happen at some point before, also no major changes or software other than games were installed in between this time.

05/31/2014 07:59 AM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

This is a very old and annoying bug that hasn't been solved yet, not even in the latest 14.6 Beta Catalyst drivers.
It seems to occur when trying to wake up the GPU/monitor at the "wrong" time and might be related to the GPU's power saving features.

It seems to be primarily a Windows 8/8.1 bug. Disabling Link Power State Management, ULPS from registry settings or fiddling with BIOS settings doesn't seem to have any real effect, it keeps occurring more or less randomly.

Recently, before finally trashing my Radeon HD7770, I was determined in solving it and after trying several things I found out that maybe it has something to do with the Catalyst Control Center which for some reason stays resident in memory even after turning its tray icon off.

Could you try killing the CCC.exe and MOM.exe processes from the Windows Task Manager and see if this keeps occurring? The more testers, the better.

Edited: 05/31/2014 at 08:17 AM by Solid State Brain
 05/31/2014 08:03 AM

Author Icon
ksus
Peon

Disable sleep functions and just turn off your monitor... if you don't need it running turn it  off or hibernate it.

-------------------------

The force is strong with this one.

05/31/2014 08:09 AM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

Originally posted by: ksus Disable sleep functions and just turn off your monitor... if you don't need it running turn it  off or hibernate it.

This is not a proper solution/workaround.
For several reasons, perhaps like the thread author, I need to keep my OS always enabled and want to reduce power usage as much as possible when I'm not actively using my PC.

Just turning off the monitor doesn't actually turn off the GPU's video output signal and consequently makes it waste more electricity for nothing.

05/31/2014 11:59 AM

Author Icon
TheIcon
Peon

Agreed, turning off sleep function shouldn't be a solution. Is AMD aware of this?

05/31/2014 12:10 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: TheIcon  Is AMD aware of this?

Have you told them?

Issue report form

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/31/2014 12:15 PM

Author Icon
TheIcon
Peon

yea

05/31/2014 04:09 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

I'm trying hard to track down the problem. It looks like it wasn't the Catalyst Control Panel even after closing down all related processes. Therefore it must be something else.

I remember that more than one year ago I used to not have these problems. It could be that it was the same period when I avoided installing any Intel drivers and only relied on built-in Windows 8 ones (I don't remember why I did that, I guess stability). So I just tried doing this:

- Uninstall Intel integrated display drivers
- Uninstall Intel Management Engine drivers
- Uninstall Intel Rapid Storage RAID/AHCI drivers
- Disable IGP multimonitor in BIOS settings (basically preventing the Intel IGP from being detected under Windows)

I tried triggering monitor sleep from Windows as much as I could and so far it didn't hang up/show black screens yet.

So... do you have an Intel CPU/mainboard? Do you have any Intel driver installed? Is your Intel IGP enabled and/or visible in the Windows Device Manager?

Also (this might sound a bit random) do you have VMWare installed?

05/31/2014 05:37 PM

Author Icon
Emopunk
Peon

I confirm the problem is present for both 14.4 and 14.6 on my R9 270. After messing around with newer releases, I still have to say 13.12 is the best release for my card. Newer ones have a bunch of new problems which were not present before.

We need to concentrate on more than meets the eye
 06/01/2014 01:15 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

So far, after performing what I've written in my previous comment (including uninstalling VMWare, which enables a couple services) I haven't had the displays failing to wake up by showing a black screen or not waking up at all. This used to occur at least once a day (as my PC is always on and used intermittently, there's plenty of time for this to happen).

It would be nice if this could be narrowed down to one of those things. I think it's highly likely it's due to one of the Intel drivers / the Intel IGP, though. Any confirmation from other users having this problem? Do you all have an Intel CPU and mainboard?

06/01/2014 01:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Use the Intel 'Driver Update Utility'

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

06/01/2014 01:38 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

I already had all the latest Intel drivers. What do you think that would have done?

I uninstalled them all specifically because I remembered that (probably, still not 100% sure) I didn't use to have these display wake up problems when on purpose I decided to not install any driver beside those of my AMD Radeon, and use built-in Microsoft Windows 8 ones instead.

I think might have finally found the source for this longstanding issue, but I need more time and possibly more testers to confirm.

06/02/2014 11:35 AM

Author Icon
Grahlwur
Peon

Hello!

I recognize what's being described here and just want to share my experience with it.

First of all, my specs:

GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 XT (Single card, no Crossfire)
Systemboard: Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L (Intel G41 Chipset, PCI-E v1.1 x16)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
RAM: 4GB DDR2

Connections:
1) DVI - 1920x1080
2) Mini-DisplayPort -> DisplayPort -> DVI -  1440x900

These components might not be optimal due to their age, but anyways that's what I have..

BIOS, device drivers and Windows are all up to date.

I bought this GPU about 15 months ago. While I cannot remember when I started getting the black screens, I'm pretty sure it's been there since more or less the beginning, 100% sure I got it last autumn at least. While I also had problems with my SSD at the time and first suspected the soundcard since I also loose my sound when the screen goes black, it took a while before I could gather which symptoms originates from the GPU... I was unable to find a solution to the issue so I ended up just turning off the screens manually rather than letting them go into sleep automatically.. Which means it's been awhile and it's all slightly blurry, but this is what I can remember out of my head:

With 1 monitor connected:
* Screen sometimes (seems random) does not wake up from automatic sleep.
* PC itself is responding, music is playing etc. Basically everything is working except no picture.
* Picture usually comes back after unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in.

With 2 monitors connected:
* Screen sometimes (seems random) does not wake up from automatic sleep. Same as with 1 monitor.
* PC is partially responding:
- Speakers stops working (not sure if directly when it goes black or after a while)
- Shutdown button on the chassi does nothing so needs a hard reset
- Shared folders can be accessed from another computer without issue
- Remote Connection to the PC also results in a black screen
- Sometimes it freezes completely (I think just before BSOD, not sure)
* Unplugging the monitors and plugging them back in does not help
* Sometimes results in a BSOD, I believe the BSOD happens after the screen has been black a while, perhaps when it tries to wake up. Not sure what BSOD it was (formatted my PC recently)... But I THINK it was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, not sure about parameters, but I dissected it in WinDbg and they all pointed at AMD-drivers (can't remember which one).

Sometimes I also got DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION after ~5 minutes at the Windows logo at bootup, but that seems to have gotten fixed at some point.

What I tried with was:

* Disable all power savings in Windows (except Monitor sleep)
* Disable ULPS
* Set PCI-E clock to default in BIOS
* Kept installing newest driver, including Beta, when available
* Replaced my Single Link DVI-D cable with a Dual Link DVI-D cable for Monitor 1 and 2
* Replaced my wierd DisplayPort-setup for Monitor 2 with a HDMI to DVI adapter
* Searched for updated GPU-BIOS, no luck
* Unplugged unneeded components; sound card, RAID card etc
* Installed drivers for Monitor 1 (yes I know, I got real desperate)

Real hard issue to troubleshoot as it's so intermittent/random, setting monitor sleep to 1 minute helped a bit, but after a few months I simply gave up and disabled monitor sleep altogether and had no issues whatsoever since.. UNTIL... When I updated to 14.6 Beta recently I suddenly started to get black screens even with automatic sleep off and turning them off manually. It occurred once yesterday and once today while the PC was left to idle but monitors turned off manually.

Sorry that I'm a little unsure about the details, it's beeen some months... But perhaps this can at least be a starter point in people troubleshooting with this issue.

Regards

Edited: 06/02/2014 at 11:46 AM by Grahlwur
 06/02/2014 11:43 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Solid State Brain I already had all the latest Intel drivers. What do you think that would have done?

I uninstalled them all specifically because I remembered that (probably, still not 100% sure) I didn't use to have these display wake up problems when on purpose I decided to not install any driver beside those of my AMD Radeon, and use built-in Microsoft Windows 8 ones instead.

I think might have finally found the source for this longstanding issue, but I need more time and possibly more testers to confirm.

I was not sure if you were zero-ing in on the Intel graphics driver...where the utility would check those plus chip set, etc. These are just suggestions not answers.

06/02/2014 11:51 AM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

Update: after uninstalling all Intel drivers from my Windows 8.1 installation as I previously suggested doing, the monitor wake up problem eventually occurred again, so in the end it wasn't their fault.

Like Grahlwur, I can confirm too that most of the time, when this happens I can regain control by unplugging the monitor cable temporarily or switching the monitor set up temporarily with Win+P key combination (from single to dual output and vice versa). However, occasionally I get a black screen with a visible mouse pointer. When this happens I can't do anything but hard resetting the system.

I never experienced BSOD problems due to this, though.

Since today I had time to spare, I tried doing a "system refresh", which is almost like a complete system format, except that most programs and settings are retained. Luckily I had a Windows 8.1 ISO/boot disk available. This time I only installed the AMD Catalyst drivers from Windows Update and completely avoided installing drivers from the web. Let's see if the problem persists.

Originally posted by: stumped

I was not sure if you were zero-ing in on the Intel graphics driver...where the utility would check those plus chip set, etc. These are just suggestions not answers.

I did try both uninstalling the Intel Graphics driver normally and wiping it with third party tools (DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller) - this didn't have any effect on the random display wake up problem I am having.

06/02/2014 12:01 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Solid State Brain Update: a

Like Grahlwur,

I did try both uninstalling the Intel Graphics driver normally and wiping it with third party tools (DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller) - this didn't have any effect on the random display wake up problem I am having.

Did you run the utility or not? The Intel utility. There is more than grapics drivers. One of the updates was to fix a issue with windows 8.1. Check it out, especially the chipset drivers. Just run the automated Intel driver check..it's not just for graphics drivers.

06/02/2014 12:13 PM

Author Icon
TheIcon
Peon

A strange thing happened last night, I was on the desktop, suddenly my computer stopped recieving input from mouse and keyboard, it kinda froze. Then my screen turned black, my computer showed no HDD activity or anything. The monitor light was blinking, it was the exact same symptom as I would find time randomly during morning when I wake up. 

I restarted my computer, it told me that it couldn't find my boot drive and asked me to change it or use recovery disk or something. Again, my keyboard wasn't working so I couldn't get to the BIOS. I was really scared.

I searched and found out someone similar was having the problem, he fixed it by removing the motherboard battery and put it back in. I did it and it worked, not only it could find my HDD to boot to windows, but my keyboard worked too. I think I should change my motherboard battery though.

Not really sure if this had to do with anything.

My complete specs:

Intel core i5 4670

MSI Z87 G-43 Gaming motherboard

8GB ADATA RAM

320 GM Samsung 5400RPM HDD and a 2TB 7200RPM WD HDD.

06/02/2014 12:16 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

Did you run the utility or not? The Intel utility. There is more than grapics drivers. One of the updates was to fix a issue with windows 8.1. Check it out, especially the chipset drivers. Just run the automated Intel driver check..it's not just for graphics drivers.

I haven't yet.

To tell the truth, I find highly unlikely that if there is an issue with Intel chipsets/IGPs and Windows the company would not pass that information to Microsoft but offer instead a fix through a semi-obscure utility/software. Also, this bug has existed for a very long time; at least a year.

I'll give it a try anyway when I will have confirmation that doing a "Windows 8.1 System Refresh" does not solve the problem.

It would also be useful if there could be confirmation from others that this is an Intel chipset-only problem. Is there any AMD CPU/APU user having this issue?

Originally posted by: TheIcon A strange thing happened last night, I was on the desktop, suddenly my computer stopped recieving input from mouse and keyboard, it kinda froze[...]

I've already tried swapping everything (including the power supply, and also using a different mainboard with the same Intel H77 chipset and i5 3550 CPU) except the GPU, but that didn't solve the problem either. So this is either software-caused, or hardware-caused by the Radeon GPU I have. However, besides this it appears to work fine.

Edited: 06/02/2014 at 12:25 PM by Solid State Brain
 06/02/2014 03:23 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

To tell the truth, I find highly unlikely that if there is an issue with Intel chipsets/IGPs and Windows the company would not pass that information to Microsoft but offer instead a fix through a semi-obscure utility/software.

Semi obscure? How long have you had Intel products? It's the first place to look...You make things too complicated and drawn out. Oh, because it is highly unlikely? I would suggest you take it to a proffesional and don't tell me you are one. Please.

A monitor needs to close this thread..the OP has solved his issue. The other guy needs to start his own.

06/02/2014 03:50 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

Semi obscure?

It is, in the sense that it doesn't come with Windows, its updates or drivers and utilities usually bundled with the PC's mainboard. It shouldn't be required to fix problems of this nature and it wouldn't make much sense if it did as all it does is downloading the latest drivers (been there, done that anyway) for the supported chipset components. It's not even clear if it's an Intel-only issue!

You make things too complicated and drawn out.

I'm trying to narrow down the problem so that it can be precisely reported to the AMD Catalyst Driver tech support and hopefully fixed for good.

Oh, because it is highly unlikely? I would suggest you take it to a proffesional and don't tell me you are one. Please.

You certainly aren't one and volume posting like you're doing won't prove otherwise.

A monitor needs to close this thread..the OP has solved his issue. The other guy needs to start his own.

You don't know yet if he's solved his issue. Being a very random one, chances are that it will happen again. I too thought I solved it by attempting completely different fixes, but in the end I didn't.

Besides, having multiple threads scattered around about the very same issue could dilute potentially useful information needed to track it down, and that's one of the reasons why nobody still really knows yet why it happens exactly.

Statistics
84301 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.