Topic Title: My display doesn't 'wake' during the morning so to speak
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/31/2014 02:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/17/2014 01:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

I disable CCC  and use MSI Afterburner instead.  ULPS also disabled.

-------------------------

Crosshair V Formula, AMD FX 8350 @4.8GHz, Radeon HD 7970 DiamondMM CrossFireX,  CoolerMaster 1200W SilentProGold, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz (2x8GB)

07/17/2014 05:06 PM

Author Icon
Emopunk
Peon

Originally posted by: Emopunk
Originally posted by: Solid State Brain @Snimo: I've been using 14.7 RC since the day they got released and I have experienced this monitor wake up issue not even once. Maybe it finally got fixed, but I guess it's still too early to tell (sorry, I have been burned too many times already by seemingly working solutions which ended up not solving anything with this).

I would suggest trying to install them, anyway.

Since I have been reporting this issue myself, and I have 14.7 installed, I will try to enable monitor stand-by again and let you people know if it's fixed. Regards!!

Nope, the bug is still here.

We need to concentrate on more than meets the eye
 07/17/2014 06:30 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

@Emopunk: I don't know what to say then. I still have to experience this bug since I installed 14.7 RC drivers. The only unusual thing I did in the past couple weeks besides that was removing a secondary Samsung 830 SSD from the second SATA3 channel of my motherboard's native Intel H77 chipset SATA controller, so that now I only have a single SSD (SanDisk Extreme II) on one of those ports. 

However that seems completely unrelated with this issue. Or maybe it actually isn't??

07/18/2014 07:49 AM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

Originally posted by: Solid State Brain @Emopunk: The only unusual thing I did in the past couple weeks besides that was removing a secondary Samsung 830 SSD from the second SATA3 channel of my motherboard's native Intel H77 chipset SATA controller, so that now I only have a single SSD (SanDisk Extreme II) on one of those ports. 

However that seems completely unrelated with this issue. Or maybe it actually isn't??

Interesting because I was doing some work that needed an external USB drive attached to system.  That's when I noticed the sleep problem but thought nothing of the USB drive being attached. 

Now, I've moved on to another stage where the USB drive is no longer connected, and the sleep issue is gone.

Take this with a grain of salt as testing is very limited.

Crosshair V Formula, AMD FX 8350 @4.8GHz, Radeon HD 7970 DiamondMM CrossFireX,  CoolerMaster 1200W SilentProGold, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz (2x8GB)

07/18/2014 10:45 AM

Author Icon
Emopunk
Peon

uhm.. I am reading your last two messages and I have to say I have no external USB storage device attached. Moreover, with this same configuration I never had such problems with my old GTX 260

We need to concentrate on more than meets the eye
 07/18/2014 11:02 AM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

@Emopunk: I don't have an external USB storage either. What I did was removing one of my internal storage drives from one of the chipset's native SATA3 ports. So, now I have 1 SSD on a SATA3 port and 1 HDD on a SATA2 port. I also did change the storage sleep timer from 1 minute to 5 minutes from Windows power settings, but I don't remember how much after installing 14.7 RC drivers I did this.

Anyway, both of these might end up being completely unrelated witht the monitor wake up issue, a coincidence. However I have to stress again that for some inexplicable reason I still haven't experienced this problem since I installed 14.7 RC.

It definitely is a problem related to the AMD HD7770 videocard I have or AMD Catalyst drivers, though. I've never experienced it when I only used the integrated Intel GPU.

07/18/2014 03:38 PM

Author Icon
agent911
Peon

Enable screensaver MinimalClock very nice 1.

Poker Style - Tight Aggressive

07/18/2014 08:03 PM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

As I said, it was minimal testing, and as it turns out, the problem persists.  Haven't figured out what makes it happen, but for sure I have to have an app lilke iTunes running to trigger it.

07/19/2014 02:15 PM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

okay, one other clue.  I have a bank of harddrives connected to a USB hub.  I don't normally run these devices.  The hub was connected unpowered to the mainboard.  I sometimes forget to unplug the USB connector.  If I do forget, the mainboard may throw an error message saying unrecognized USB device.

Will keep an eye on this for now.  Still on 14.4 drivers.  Waking the display from sleep does work.

07/19/2014 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

@gr8sho: I haven't disabled any USB hub or removed any unused physical device from my system since the display wake up issue apparently got solved for me with 14.7 RC Catalyst drivers. So, I would think it's unrelated.

07/20/2014 09:12 AM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

Unfortunately, I just found out that manually engaging the display/GPU sleep mode (through external non-Windows utilities) several times in quick succession (with all applications minimized so that the AMD zerocore/GPU switch off activates) still eventually causes this bug to occur (from which one can recover by switching the multimonitor configuration with Win+P, but it's still annoying).

I guess I've just been lucky so far with 14.7 RC drivers and the automatic (set on a 10 minutes timeout) display sleep mode.

07/20/2014 11:53 AM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

Originally posted by: Solid State Brain @gr8sho: I haven't disabled any USB hub or removed any unused physical device from my system since the display wake up issue apparently got solved for me with 14.7 RC Catalyst drivers. So, I would think it's unrelated.

The sense I get is something's interrupting hardware detection.  For me, the problem didn't start happening until I started playing around with my external drives AFAIK.  I've been on 14.4 since it was released and I had never seen the issue until recently.  So for those that are seeing the issue, and there are several, if there's been no change in the hardware config, there must be some marginal timing issue.

As of now, I continue to be okay (even with iTunes running) to allow the monitor to sleep.

07/20/2014 11:00 PM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

I happened to run across the following in Event Viewer.  It may be helpful to someone in the know.  I had one occurrence of the fail to wake from sleep for display today.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          7/20/2014 1:58:55 AM
Event ID:      137
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      (4)
User:          N/A
Computer:    
Description:
The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S5). This can result in reduced resume performance.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>137</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000004</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-20T05:58:55.718077900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2339850</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="2792" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>xxx</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="SleepState">5</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

07/21/2014 05:06 PM

Author Icon
Statek
Peon

Have you looked into when this started happening and if its had any relationship with installing windows updates? I have had mine off for months at a time and updated in spaced out bursts, and after the most recent one, I started having this issue, so if you're looking for causes or something, this seems like a big one, at least for me on Windows 7 64 bit, but I found out that "uninstalling" the drivers in windows fixes it for me and I can run pretty much everything, aside from games using Mantle, relatively flawlessly with no issues when returning from sleep. This is just my $0.02 as well

07/21/2014 08:57 PM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

Originally posted by: Statek Have you looked into when this started happening and if its had any relationship with installing windows updates? I have had mine off for months at a time and updated in spaced out bursts, and after the most recent one, I started having this issue, so if you're looking for causes or something, this seems like a big one, at least for me on Windows 7 64 bit, but I found out that "uninstalling" the drivers in windows fixes it for me and I can run pretty much everything, aside from games using Mantle, relatively flawlessly with no issues when returning from sleep. This is just my $0.02 as well

I'm on Windows 8.1.1 and it does indeed have all latest updates.  I could revert back to drivers provided by Microsoft as you suggest, but I've been thinking of going back into BF4 again.

I've gotten pretty good at unfreezing the system when the issue happens.  When the next full release comes out, I will upgrade and see if the problem is any less prevalent.

Cheers.

07/21/2014 09:09 PM

Author Icon
Solid State Brain
Peon

I've had this problem for a very long time with Windows 8/8.1. I also tried installing/uninstalling several driver versions cleanly many time over the past months. Not even doing a "system refresh" helped. I don't think it can be tracked down to a single update. Also, if people are having it with Windows 7 too it must be something in common between these operating systems. I think it's a driver-specific issue due to a conflict between some hardware (display brand/model? Motherboard chipset?) or software combinations (although I pretty much tried using different programs for everything I need, and that didn't solve it either).

As for events in the Event viewer, I've never been able to notice anything anomalous that can be correlated with this when the bug occurs. It's very easy to reproduce it if you have a way of repeatedly manually engaging the display sleep mode and wake the display up from it several times in a row.

I will stress again that since I installed 14.7 RC I haven't experienced this with the automatic monitor sleep timeout set on a 10 minutes timer, however.

08/15/2014 12:39 AM

Author Icon
TheIcon
Peon

This have this issue, even though I turn off sleep and monitor options from the Power options in Window 8.1

08/19/2014 06:52 PM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

I did a clean install using Stumped's instructions to the letter.  The new beta package also includes more up to date driver for AHCI RAID Controller and PCI Bus.  These don't install automatically but you can have Device Manager look in the Catalyst package directory to to find and apply. 

I no longer see the display wake up issue from sleep.

08/21/2014 09:32 AM

Author Icon
TheIcon
Peon

Hi, 

A lot of things happened between the time of the post. My R9 290 from Sapphire got a faulty HDMI, had to send it back for RMA while I used 7970 temporarily. That card also had these issues.

Finally got my new r9 290 back for 2 weeks a almost, the card used to have this issue as well, but would also give me similar blank screen randomly when I used to restart.

I had to do a format and do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 for another problem. And since then, this problem is solved. I use MSI Afterburner graph and I can see sometimes my GPU completely shuts off and turns back on when I use my computer as the temperature sometimes is zero.

Not sure what caused the fix? New revision to hardware? A random windows update?

Take your pick.

08/21/2014 09:51 AM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

The only time I ever see the graph zero-out is on the 2nd GPU when ULPS is active. 

You may want to ask Unwinder (Afternburner author) about his opinion of your observations.  To me this makes no sense unless there's a bug in the software or a problem with the hardware/system.

Statistics
86385 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.