Topic Title: Crossfire - Windowed / WIndowed Fullscreen support
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/12/2014 08:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/12/2014 08:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Gevil
Peon

I'd like to ask if it'd be possible to make use of Crossfire on Windowed / Fullscreen Windowed Games.
I'm running 3 monitors and running most of my games in Fullscreen Windowed mode.
I would like to enjoy the freedom of being able to see the game window while doing other things on my other monitors.

I'm running with Catalyst 14.6 beta atm and frankly I've been looking for a solution for the past couple of week googling my ... off.
If there was a workaround or hack or alternative driver I wouldn't mind, but I feel like my money is kindof being wasted on buying the second AMD card and I have to trade in some FPS in some games if i want to continue running them in Fullscreen Windowed mode.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a Crossfire profile for the Windows Desktop Manager itself and work around the issue.

Please advise, or respond. I hope there are some AMD driver devs around here or someone can point me towards them.

06/12/2014 10:45 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Try this:

AMD GLOBAL Customer Care Support Center

Phone them directly or send an e-mail report (step 2).

There is currently no support for crossfirex in window mode.

It's technically possible and if anyone actually knows a workaround.................. i'm in for it  too !!!

-------------------------

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, sapphire HD 6990 (stock clocks), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.
amd catalyst 14.6 RC2 june23

Edited: 06/12/2014 at 11:12 AM by backFireX64
 06/12/2014 10:57 AM

Author Icon
Gevil
Peon

Thanks, I didn't see the email option there.

I've written up a nice little novel for them I hope they'll at least read it.

Problem is I guess that people with actual dual gpu setups might be a very low percentage of users and therefore not a priority which makes the whole thing feel really frustrating. 

I'd like to run my Skyrim in glorious 4K and downsample it, and cant really do it with just a single card working in fullscreen windowed mode -.-

Or BF4 and the list goes on. 

06/12/2014 11:05 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Originally posted by: Gevil Thanks, I didn't see the email option there. I've written up a nice little novel for them I hope they'll at least read it. Problem is I guess that people with actual dual gpu setups might be a very low percentage of users and therefore not a priority which makes the whole thing feel really frustrating.  I'd like to run my Skyrim in glorious 4K and downsample it, and cant really do it with just a single card working in fullscreen windowed mode -.- Or BF4 and the list goes on. 

Aint that right, brother.

I also give amd the "alan wake" treatment myself from time to time......

Always demand better support/ service.

It's our right and duty as customers (hence the amd customer care).

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, sapphire HD 6990 (stock clocks), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.

06/13/2014 09:07 AM

Author Icon
Gevil
Peon

Response from AMD so far:

As you know, AMD graphics driver cannot support Windowed/fullscreen Windowed Games in Crossfire. It is the rules of Crossfire technology that determines the optimizations only work in full screen mode. As such, there is no workaround for this Windowed mode support. We have not seen our competitor indicating related support in Windowed mode as well and we cannot compare our Crossfire technology with other technology from other manufacturer. But you can report this to our related team via the driver report form so our related team can hear the feedback from our customers directly and consider the strategy in future product development at www.amd.com/betareport.

Your support and feedback is really appreciated. 

06/13/2014 09:19 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Originally posted by: Gevil Response from AMD so far:

As you know, AMD graphics driver cannot support Windowed/fullscreen Windowed Games in Crossfire. It is the rules of Crossfire technology that determines the optimizations only work in full screen mode. As such, there is no workaround for this Windowed mode support. We have not seen our competitor indicating related support in Windowed mode as well and we cannot compare our Crossfire technology with other technology from other manufacturer. But you can report this to our related team via the driver report form so our related team can hear the feedback from our customers directly and consider the strategy in future product development at www.amd.com/betareport.

Your support and feedback is really appreciated. 

Yea, don't hold your breath too much ..........

Maybe if i poke them too .....

Thanks for the feedback.

06/13/2014 09:31 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

I am dying to ask though:

Why not throw all the other social life or activities out of the window when you want to sit down and enjoy gaming ?

Where is all the fun going then ?

Another thought:

Let's say you play in your room alone, lights out, speaker volume maxed and play Amnesia or Outlast and you are walking through a very creepy corridor.

Tension is high and then out of the silence.............. your e-mail beeps

and you get yourself a heart attack (knock knock).

Is it really worth it mate ?

EDIT:  shouldn't we have this chat in the Crossfire section of the forum ?

06/13/2014 09:39 AM

Author Icon
Gevil
Peon

Your point is perfectly valid

It really isn't a problem when I'm playing a game like the ones you mentioned, but there are certain games that I like to play with the mentioned Social interaction support. For example running Battlefield while Seeing Mumble on my left and some music in the background that i want to quickly just alt tab to without losing view on the game or similarly Dota 2, CS:GO.

I also Like to Mod Skyrim and do some screenarchery and play around with Texture packs and lots of mods and lately I've tried 4K downsampling which is absolutely marvelous compared to just 1080p, but no decent FPS with only being able to run it ona  single card.

The Limitation is that it can only do downsmapling with an ENB d3d9.dll which will force the game into Borderless Fullscreen to able to do the downsampling.

It may not be a 'needed' feature to have windowed support but sure would be nice, considering I hear SLI has it fugred uot o.O

Anyway I wrote to the driver team through that form aswell, maybe someday it'll happen

06/13/2014 09:50 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Yes, from what you've written, it's quite understandable the pros you'll have with window mode crossfire.

I can imagine myself in similar situations with the ones you mentioned.

It may not be a 'needed' feature to have windowed support but sure would be nice, considering I hear SLI has it fugred uot o.O

It sure would be nice a feature like that and i wonder why you got that response from amd if sli can actually accomplish that ?

You sure about this ?

Haven't tested myself sli for quite a while now.

06/13/2014 10:17 AM

Author Icon
Gevil
Peon

Haven't tested SLI myself, the info i have is from various forums mentioning they're running games like BF4 with dual SLI windowed mode. They mention a performance hit in windowed, but nowhere near as bad as only running with a single card.

06/13/2014 10:22 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Originally posted by: Gevil Haven't tested SLI myself, the info i have is from various forums mentioning they're running games like BF4 with dual SLI windowed mode. They mention a performance hit in windowed, but nowhere near as bad as only running with a single card.

Well, i could easily live with that.

Small performance hit is understandable and not of a big deal.

If only, man.

If only ...

06/13/2014 11:40 AM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Grinding Levels

Having run SLi several times I can tell you in my experience the performance hit of windowed was not to bad but the additional occurences of crashing or your mouse accidently taking an adventure outside the window and making you click out was not fun.

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.6GHz 1.29V (Corsair H110-cooled) ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme 
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB 2133MHz, CL9) ~ PSU: Corsair AX 1200W ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
GPUs: 3x HIS R9 290X Reference (Core) Editions in TriFire, Max Load Temps: 71C/70C/71C during OC testing :-P

06/13/2014 11:47 AM

Author Icon
Gevil
Peon

Originally posted by: HoneyBadger84 Having run SLi several times I can tell you in my experience the performance hit of windowed was not to bad but the additional occurences of crashing or your mouse accidently taking an adventure outside the window and making you click out was not fun.

That is true, for any Hack and slash like Diablo 3 or PoE that sucks or League of Legends. Though the smarter games take hold of your mouse and limit the area so that you cant pull it out of the game window like Dota 2.

Thanks for the info on SLI.

06/13/2014 01:53 PM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Originally posted by: HoneyBadger84 Having run SLi several times I can tell you in my experience the performance hit of windowed was not to bad but the additional occurences of crashing or your mouse accidently taking an adventure outside the window and making you click out was not fun.

Thanks for verifying the information.

Though the smarter games take hold of your mouse and limit the area so that you cant pull it out of the game window like Dota 2

Where there's a will there's a way.

Or is it whip .... ?

Statistics
84136 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.