Topic Title: Can't Enable AHCI After Installing Latest Official Drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/12/2014 03:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/12/2014 03:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Two days ago I installed the 14.4 drivers for my R7 265 and haven't been able to boot to windows with ACHI enabled since then - which has been enabled and working fine on this Win 7 64-bit system for more than three years. After installing the drivers, Windows would hang on the "Starting Windows" screen - I left it there for better than 30 minutes a couple of times.  To make a long story short, it took me hours just to conclude that I had to disable AHCI to load Windows, and ever since I've been trying to figure out how I can reenable AHCI and still login to Windows. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD drivers multiple times, deleting every registry entry I could find after the first couple of times, I've tried this scan and that scan and found no errors, I see no problems with any hardware, and even after deleting all the AMD stuff I could find I still wasn't able to start the system with ACHI enabled. I even cleared the cmos battery. Then I tried several solutions other users with the same problem had tried and claimed worked but none of them worked for me. One of them involved deleting some older AMD sata drivers from a system32 folder and their registry entries that I had previously missed, but that might have only made the problem worse. Now when I try to start Windows with ACHI enabled it doesn't hang on the "Starting Windows" screen anymore, I now get a bsod that just says basically you might have some kind of hardware problem and should try CHKDSK /F (I have multiple times) and gives me a STOP: 0X0000007B error.

Can anyone give me a solution that will work, preferablly one endorsed by AMD? Thank you!

Edited: 06/12/2014 at 06:31 PM by imno007
 06/12/2014 04:40 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

You know, there is probably some help/advice available. No one with any sense would try and answer you since you furnish no helpful information...except fot describing your issue. Please read the PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING and edit your post to include the asked for information.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

06/12/2014 05:23 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: imno007 

Can anyone give me a solution that will work, preferablly one endorsed by AMD? Thank you!

I wonder who made your motherboard. AMD? I don't think so, they don't sell motherboards as far as I know. So why are you installing AMD AHCI drivers, which is chipset related? Would you install Asus drivers if you have an MSI motherboard? Would you install nvidia drivers for an AMD video card?

I guess no... So get rid of those AHCI drivers and either keep the default that is built into windows or install AHCI drivers from the website of the manufacturer that made your motherboard.

Sounds logical, doesn't it? Next time don't just nextnextnextnextnextnext nextnextnextnext nextnextnextnext nextnextnextnextnextnext when you're installing the package, but think. Select custom install. Install only what you need. I'll ask AMD to package some mobogenie and ask toolbar as well so people start being more careful...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

06/12/2014 06:00 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Thanks for the link, but maybe next time spare me the condescension. I found a LOT of posts by people with this problem and the only common denominator seems to be that most of them are using some kind of SB7xx motherboard and some version of Windows 7 or 8, amd I figured that maybe by this point AMD had some idea of the likely culprit(s) and ready solutions. Too much to hope for, I guess. Anyway, my specs on this machine for the record:

Video Card: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100370L Radeon R7 265

Motherboard: Asrock M3A785GXH/128M (Northbridge: AMD 785G,Southbridge: AMD SB710)

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Ed.

Memory: is GSkill F3-10666CL7D

Power Supply Corsair HX850W

Bios: Asrock 1.80 = AMI v.02.67c

Harddrive: Samsung SpinPoint F3 ST500DM005

There's also a RocketRAID 622 SATA controller onboard that I use for an external raid tower, but uninstalling it didn't make any difference.

TIA!

Edited: 06/12/2014 at 07:00 PM by imno007
 06/12/2014 06:11 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee  

I wonder who made your motherboard. AMD? I don't think so, they don't sell motherboards as far as I know. So why are you installing AMD AHCI drivers, which is chipset related? Would you install Asus drivers if you have an MSI motherboard? Would you install nvidia drivers for an AMD video card?

I guess no... So get rid of those AHCI drivers and either keep the default that is built into windows or install AHCI drivers from the website of the manufacturer that made your motherboard.

Sounds logical, doesn't it? Next time don't just nextnextnextnextnextnext nextnextnextnext nextnextnextnext nextnextnextnextnextnext when you're installing the package, but think. Select custom install. Install only what you need. I'll ask AMD to package some mobogenie and ask toolbar as well so people start being more careful...

First off, I've owned ATI/AMD video cards almost exclusively for the last 20 years and never had this problem until recently, and this is the second AMD card I've installed on this particular PC and I've updated the drivers on this machine several times over the last four or five years, and none of the hardware has changed in at least the last 2 years - and never had this problem. So I'm not gonna be too hard on myself for not realizing that they've started packaging some other drivers in their install that I didn't realize were there and didn't read about in the fine print. And I've reinstalled these latest drivers a few times now and I see nothing under the custom install options showing AMD ACHI drivers. I'm looking at the custom install screen right this moment and don't see it. I'll list each and every option there if you really want me to. And i've tried getting rid of the drivers, I've deleted them from the registry and system32, I'm not sure where else I need to look.

If you've got nothing constructive to add, please go be an ass to someone else. I have enough crap to deal with.

Edited: 06/12/2014 at 07:02 PM by imno007
 06/12/2014 06:31 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Did you use the AMD "clean uninstall tool" or 'express uninstall' in your computers'  "remove a program"? That has caused issues with AMD processors. If so, use system restore to get your computer back to a usable state, then use something like this to install the new drivers again.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

06/12/2014 06:49 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Did you use the AMD "clean uninstall tool" or 'express uninstall' in your computers'  "remove a program"? That has caused issues with AMD processors. If so, use system restore to get your computer back to a usable state, then use something like this to install the new drivers again.

stumped, using their uninstall tool is probably the one thing I haven't done yet, so I'll give it a go. What I didn't point out in my first post, because I was trying to be brief, was that I had also had some problems with AMD's last driver update. It was probably the same issue, but that time around I didn't pinpoint it to the ACHI. Anyway, I know I did use the clean uninstall tool that time and it didn't make any difference, which is why I guess this time around I was leaning toward thinking there probably wasn't much point in trying it. But I suppose I need to give it a go so I can at least say I did try everything. And doing a system restore was exactly what I did that last time, but unfortunately this time around I didn't have one to work with. I apparently turned off auto restore points for whatever reason, and stupidly didn't think to create one before installing these latest drivers, so that's not an option this time.

Thanks again

06/12/2014 07:07 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

If you've got nothing constructive to add, please go be an ass to someone else. I have enough crap to deal with.

With that attitude there is one last advice I can give you: F... you.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

06/12/2014 07:09 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: stumped Did you use the AMD "clean uninstall tool" or 'express uninstall' in your computers'  "remove a program"? That has caused issues with AMD processors. If so, use system restore to get your computer back to a usable state, then use something like this to install the new drivers again.

stumped, using their uninstall tool is probably the one thing I haven't done yet, so I'll give it a go. What I didn't point out in my first post, because I was trying to be brief, was that I had also had some problems with AMD's last driver update. It was probably the same issue, but that time around I didn't pinpoint it to the ACHI. Anyway, I know I did use the clean uninstall tool that time and it didn't make any difference, which is why I guess this time around I was leaning toward thinking there probably wasn't much point in trying it. But I suppose I need to give it a go so I can at least say I did try everything. And doing a system restore was exactly what I did that last time, but unfortunately this time around I didn't have one to work with. I apparently turned off auto restore points for whatever reason, and stupidly didn't think to create one before installing these latest drivers, so that's not an option this time.

Thanks again

No...I am not suggesting you use that tool. That tool, as well as choosing "express uninstall" can cause issues with AMD processors.

06/12/2014 08:46 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee  

With that attitude there is one last advice I can give you: F... you.

Seriously my attitude? Maybe you should try rereading what you wrote: it oozed condescension. If that's your idea of making respectuful suggestions, then I suggest you never try working any job that requires you to deal with the public.

06/12/2014 08:50 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped

Thanks again

No...I am not suggesting you use that tool. That tool, as well as choosing "express uninstall" can cause issues with AMD processors.

Okay, got you, thanks. I thought you meant the express uninstall was the problem. Well, I've tried doing both express and custom uninstalls, as well as extracting the files, stopping the install and doing edits to certain files that people have suggested, before continuing installation. Not sure what to try next, but I'll keep looking. I might just have to end up doing a clean OS install, but just thinking about it tires me out.

06/12/2014 09:08 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Express uninstall IS the problem...don't use it if you have a AMD processor. Don't use the AMD "clean uninstall tool" if you have a AMD processor. Both of these have removed more than they should in the past.

06/12/2014 09:22 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Express uninstall IS the problem...don't use it if you have a AMD processor. Don't use the AMD "clean uninstall tool" if you have a AMD processor. Both of these have removed more than they should in the past.

I got you. As I said, I've also tried doing the custom uninstall after installling - after doing both express and custom installs - but that hasn't made a difference. Something got screwed up during the very first install and uninstall (which was express, unfortunately) and nothing I've done since then has been able to undo the harm.

06/12/2014 09:36 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Yup...well that first time was all it took. If you an't use a system restore,check your motherboard manufacturer for the ACHI drivers, or...you can try these AMD chipsets...HERE.

06/12/2014 10:07 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Yup...well that first time was all it took. If you an't use a system restore,check your motherboard manufacturer for the ACHI drivers, or...you can try these AMD chipsets...HERE.

I did do a quick search earlier for the Asrock AHCI drivers but didn't spot any available for download. I'll look more later when I have time, and check out those you linked to. Right now I'm too busy trying to make up for all the work I got behind on yesterday, partly because of trying to deal with this crap. The real kicker is that AMD acknowledged AHCI problems caused by their including the drivers in their previous update but supposedly took the drivers out of the latest package that I installed - which is why I wasn't seeing anything related to AHCI drivers on the custom install when people like the guy above were accusing me of basically just being click-happy. So I'm not sure what happened there. Anyway, another thing I can still try is removing the public key tokens from C:\Windows\assembly that AMD recommends if you're in a jam (no idea if that will help) and/or installiing the beta drivers.

Thanks again!

06/12/2014 10:52 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Just a quick update: I breaked long enough to hunt down my board's AHCI drivers and reinstalled them - and it made zero difference. Still getting the bsod. I'll try the other ones stumped pointed to later

06/13/2014 03:45 PM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Okay, I've tried reinstalling my board's official achi drivers as well as the amd drivers that stumped linked to, and I did what I think was a good uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller, reinstalled the amd drivers - again - but none of that did any good. So it's looking more and more like I'll just have to wait till I can do a clean OS install to fix this. AMD, this has got me really thinking about going with Nvidia next time. ;(

06/13/2014 04:24 PM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Originally posted by: imno007 . AMD, this has got me really thinking about going with Nvidia next time. ;(

You how many times we hear this? Have you ever browsed through the Nvidia forums?

I have,and there issue plagued just like anyone else.

And yes,I have owned Nvidia,the last one lasted less than 2 hours before it died.Go figure!

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

06/13/2014 06:14 PM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

So it's looking more and more like I'll just have to wait till I can do a clean OS install to fix this.

Back up pesonal files= 15 min

Format bootup hdd= 15 seconds

Clean install windows= 30 min

Install drivers= 5 min

Test if problem is fixed= 1-2 min

Total sum= 52.15 min

I strongly suggest that you do. Less fuss, precise results.

Problem solved.

No sarcasm intended.

Thanks.

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, sapphire HD 6990 (stock clocks), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.
amd catalyst 14.6 RC2 june23

06/14/2014 12:10 AM

Author Icon
imno007
Peon

Originally posted by: backFireX64
So it's looking more and more like I'll just have to wait till I can do a clean OS install to fix this.

Back up pesonal files= 15 min

Format bootup hdd= 15 seconds

Clean install windows= 30 min

Install drivers= 5 min

Test if problem is fixed= 1-2 min

Total sum= 52.15 min

I strongly suggest that you do. Less fuss, precise results.

Problem solved.

No sarcasm intended.

Thanks.

Yeah, man, I've done OS reinstalls at least several dozen times over the last couple of decades, so I know how do it relatively quickly, but it's still a pain in the ass. I have to go sifting through a bunch of stuff deciding what I need to save, and I've got a LOT of programs I use that will need to be reinstalled, drivers updated, etc. It always ends up taking longer than you expect/hope for before you have everything back to exactly how you like it. The other big thing, though, is that I'm wanting to update to windows 8 soon, once they release the start menu update - not that that's the only thing keeping me from upgrading, but I figured since I've waited this long already I might as well wait a little longer. And I know I could just upgrade windows 7 to 8, but I'd rather do a clean install to minimize possible problems. We'll see. I might just bite the bullet some day when I have some extra time and do it.

Edited: 06/14/2014 at 12:21 AM by imno007
Statistics
84274 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.