Topic Title: R9 290x driver issues, I think?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/03/2014 12:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/03/2014 12:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RageGamerRyan
Peon

Okay so my desktop was working fine since the day I got it, I moved back to the USA and had my stuff shipped via plane with FedEx. Long story short, the boxes looked banged up and I fear my graphics card was damaged. The desktop at first never wanted to boot past the "Starting Windows" screen with the logo, after the Starting Windows screen I get a black screen and fans get really loud. I did a clean install and now it works, the problem is I can't install the drivers to my graphics card. Right now under Device Manager under Display Adapters it shows "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" when I right click and do "update driver" it works fine, installs the update and shows as AMD R9 290x, when I reboot I get the same problem. After Starting Windows screen I get a black screen and fans get really loud... Any help PLEASE!!!

CASE: Thermaltake Level 10GT Full Tower Wide Body Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window (Black Color)

CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (Venom OC Certified)

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System (1 x System)

FAN: CoolIT ECO II-240 240mm Liquid Cooling Extreme Performance CPU Cooler

HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

HDD2: 64GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 505 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 5, GblAN, 4 GEn3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300 Mbps Wireless Card + External 2.4G 5 Dbi Omni-Directional Wireless Antenna

XWNC1: ASUS USB-N53 802.11a/b/g/n 300Mbps Dual-Band Wireless N300 USB Adapter

08/03/2014 01:39 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

What's the point of this second post?

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

08/03/2014 01:49 AM

Author Icon
RageGamerRyan
Peon

I posted in the wrong section and didn't think I'd get any responses. I asked a mod to move by reporting the first post but I got an e-mail back saying they were on vacation?

Now tell me this, what is the point of your comment? It wasn't helpful and pointless spam :} 

08/03/2014 11:52 AM

Author Icon
kipper667
Peon

My first guess, since it worked before being shipped, would be a HDD issue. I see you have both a HDD & SDD so I'm guessing your SDD is your Boot/OS drive. My first suggestion would be, if you have a spare HDD (Any kind/size/speed will do), remove your original HD's, install the spare, install an OS and try the driver install. If it works then you'll know it's a HDD/SDD problem.

But, now that I think about it, make sure you have the proper OS updates installed before you install the AMD drivers. You need .Net and some others before the CCC will install correctly IIRC. 

In short, install all updates before attempting the GPU drivers then, if that fails, try a diffrerent HDD. Shipping could have jostled the drive enough to scratch a platter thereby creating bad/damaged scetors or damaged part of the SSD thereby corrupting the installed data. 

These may not fix the peoblem but , to me, it's a logical place to start in order to track down the problem.

08/03/2014 12:44 PM

Author Icon
RageGamerRyan
Peon

Okay thanks, I'll give that a try and see.

08/03/2014 01:22 PM

Author Icon
kipper667
Peon

Also, if the problem persists try a different SATA cable and swapping SATA ports on your motherboard.

08/03/2014 05:28 PM

Author Icon
RageGamerRyan
Peon

Someone over on the CyberPowerPC forums told me not to do what you said seeing as how everything is booting fine, it's just an issue with the drivers. The entire desktop works perfect until I update the drivers to my graphics card, then I start getting a black screen with loud fans on startup after the welcome screen.

08/03/2014 08:19 PM

Author Icon
goodplay
Cookie Monster

What is the current driver version listed in Catalyst Control Centre.Are you manually downloading (14.4 WHQL) driver from AMD website.

Tried download/install with antivirus disabled.

Guess you checked all connectors firmly seated.

-------------------------

i5 3570k(@4.5)./ga-z77x-ud5h-wb./hyper T4./2 x 4gb vengeance 1600 c8./sapphire dualX 7970 3gb OC boost v2./1tb WD FAEX Black./lg bh10 blu-ray r.w../corsair hx850./antec df30./z506 spkrs./lg e2240v./win 8(8.1) pro x64 

08/03/2014 08:49 PM

Author Icon
RageGamerRyan
Peon

The first time I did a fresh install of my OS I installed directly from the CD that came with the PC, second time I downloaded directly from their site the newest version and the beta, both failed, just did a fresh OS install again installing EVERYTHING from every CD they gave me, motherboard first, rebooting now to see if it works, I doubt it though...

08/04/2014 11:14 AM

Author Icon
kipper667
Peon

Installing drivers from CDs is installing years old drivers. Your best bet would be to open device manager, look at each device to get the make/model then go the their manufacturers website and download the latest drivers. Especially the motherboard/chipset drivers. You can get fairly recent ones from the Gigabyte site or more up-to-date ones from the Intel site. The Intel site is a pain to navigate to find the drivers you want so you can always try the automatic option on their site.

08/04/2014 04:41 PM

Author Icon
RageGamerRyan
Peon

My desktop is only 5~ months old though so the CD drivers aren't old, they are actually up to date. I even downloaded straight from their site nothing works.

08/05/2014 11:21 AM

Author Icon
kipper667
Peon

A bit of a longshot but try swapping out the SATA cable on the C: drive. If it still does not work try plugging the SATA cable into a different SATA port on the motherboard. Leave the secondary drive unplugged. 

Also, check device manager and see what windows is naming the video card. By default it will install a Microsoft generic driver but it should detect it as an AMD card. 

I would also try and reseat the card. Unplug the PC power cable, perss the power button a few times to dischard any residual electricity in the system, unplug power cable from the video card, remove retainer screw/s, depress the retainer clip/lock on the PCI-E slot and remove card then re-install card. You can also reseat the RAM moduals. Shipping could have dislodged something. 

Note: only do the reseating if you are famaliar with the process or have built/repaired computers previously. It's easy but I don't want to steer you down a road that will damage/kill your PC.

Statistics
85471 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.