Topic Title: Install Manager refuses to work
Topic Summary: Trying to use catalyst Install Manager v. 08.00.0915; progress bars don't show any progress.
Created On: 08/14/2014 11:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2014 11:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Michael-K
Peon

There's a lot of background I could give regarding this situation; cutting to the chase -- trying to install the driver for my Radeon HD 7950, the IM refuses to work. It's Catalyst v. 13.12, for Vista (32-bit).

At the 'Analyzing System' stage, the progress bars work. But then, at 'Installing Components', they stay grey (no green 'animation'). I've let it sit at least 10 minutes.

I click on 'cancel', confirm, and it states "Please wait while the current process is fininshing up." But, that never happens.

So, why does IM refuse to work?

If you need any other info (or, if you need ALL the gory details, including the specs from your template), just say so. (I figured that most of it would not be neccessary.)

N.B.: I've been all over this forum (i.e. "support and game"), and have searched it -- I found lots of helpful posts, but nothing has worked.
One interesting note: I found this post --
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=167211&enterthread=y
In it is a link to GPU-57 -- but it's broken. Yes, I know that the KB went from '/us/' to '/en-us/' -- didn't help.

08/14/2014 11:28 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I would use a clean install of the 13.12 drivers for Vista. Special attention to the disabling anti-xxxanything and Windows Update. Don't use auto detect and install. Use the following guide.

FAQ > Installing new graphics drivers

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/14/2014 01:36 PM

Author Icon
Michael-K
Peon

* No antivirus installed.
* Windows Update is set to 'download, but let me choose'.
* I never used the 'auto-detect and install' (for AMD's drivers).
* Regarding the FAQ link you gave:
  A) 'Official AMD FAQs'
     The only entry that applies is 'Catalyst control center' (yes, I figured out the new url scheme).
  Of its entries, only 'Why does the CCC not launch after clicking on its desktop icon?' applies.
     1) 'GPU-57' (How to uninstall ...) This is one of the weird bits of this drama. I already tried 'Programs and Features' -- there was no 'ati' or 'amd' anything there. That's weird because this machine had a Radeon HD 3450, and (in the righ button menu) was 'Catalyst'.
     2) clean Global Assembly Cache: tried that -- didn't help.
  B) 'Installing new graphics drivers'
     1) Windows Update
     Up to date (except for minor stuff, like email virus blocker -- I use webmail).
     2) I don't have an AV or whatever installed. Just tried it with Windows Defender off -- didn't help.
     3) .Net
     This *might* be what the IM is choking on. I noticed that .Net is mentioned a lot. Well, this machine has version 2 and 4, and maybe 3.5, installed. I keep seeing updates for those versions. Note that I don't have experience with Windows at this level -- perhaps multiple versions is fine.

08/14/2014 01:52 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Installing graphics driver......do this. The clean install...this will remove any crap from your previous 3xxx installation. In the control panel/uninstall a program it will say Amd Catalyst install manager...delete it following the guide I linked you to. It is normal to have multiple versions of .netframework.....all netframework updates come from Windows Update. You should have netframework 4.5.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

Edited: 08/14/2014 at 02:13 PM by stumped
 08/14/2014 04:48 PM

Author Icon
Michael-K
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Installing graphics driver......do this. The clean install...this will remove any crap from your previous 3xxx installation. In the control panel/uninstall a program it will say Amd Catalyst install manager...delete it following the guide I linked you to. It is normal to have multiple versions of .netframework.....all netframework updates come from Windows Update. You should have netframework 4.5.

oops ... I didn't get to finish. I did 1 - 3.

Next - 'create a system restore point': did that. Then I used DDU. I told it to remove ati/amd stuff; perhaps I'll try the other 2.

Control Panel / uninstall a program: Does Vista Business have that? I couldn't find it. (At work now, and no Vista here.)

08/14/2014 06:53 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Yes you have a way to uninstall a program...I don't know what Vista calls it...add/remove? If you don't do things in the order suggested in the guide...you can screw things up.

08/14/2014 11:40 PM

Author Icon
Michael-K
Peon

The only entry I can find (in the CP) that has anything to do with that is 'Programs and Features'. (Btw - I mentioned this in the third post in this thread.)

I already found this (and tried it) early in this saga. There was no 'amd' or 'ati' anything in the list. I looked thru every program, and determined that none had anything to do with this.

I just used DDU again (in safe mode); I went thru all 3 manufacturers. Still the same story.

Here's something that could be of interest: after I uninstall the display drivers (with Device Manager or DDU), I notice that the system tries to re-install a driver. I believe that it succeded once; this time (after I used DDU) it failed. Note that it just a basic VGA driver (not something form a third-party). Perhaps that is causing my problem?

I recall something about 'prevent the system from re-installing drivers'; how do I do that?

Statistics
86427 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.