Topic Title: BSOD Windows 8
Topic Summary: Driver issues, blue screens and failed auto detection
Created On: 08/17/2014 12:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/17/2014 12:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kebal
Peon

I am having driver issues with my setup, granted it may be a strange combination however I still expect the drivers to work correctly.

My setup is as follows:

Athlon X4 760K

AMD Radeon HD 7850

AMD 85X chipset mainboard.

My issue is random, however very infrequent blue screens in windows 8 x64 Pro. The error message states Unhandled Thread Excpetion in atikmdag.sys.

I have searched the internet and found many possible issues ranging from graphics card failure to power supply to virus's etc etc.

The power supply is a 1300Watt ( peak 1400 ) and multi meter tests are ok. The error messages have NEVER occured during a time when the system is stressed, infact its only happened while doing office type work, word, browser etc, no single application though.

My system is clean from virus's and has a healthy registry.

I have tried reinstalling the driver from the AMD site, manually selecting which driver to use via the drop down menu's.

14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql.exe

however this has not fixed the issue.

The auto detect driver gets confused with the FM2 socket cpu and tries to download the mobility driver for APU's.

I have also tried uninstalling via safe mode before restarting and reinstalling. The problem persists. I have also performed a clean install of the entire system, from OS up over. The problem persists.

Swapping to my older A10-5800K for awhile I experienced no issues ( mobility driver ) this suggests the mainboard and ram are fine. I am only assume my Athlon X4 760K is fine as I have no other issues of indications of problems, and I have never stressed the 7850 to date so I can only assume its fine as well.

I tried looking for a "contact us" or "feedback" on the AMD site to no avail so I am posting this hear.

I would like a driver release that handles windows exceptions correctly for my hardware/software combination.

P.S I have used soley AMD products since the AMD K5, and have sold, recommended and promoted AMD to many customers, people. I have rarely had issues with hardware although you drivers ( from ATI mainly ) have always been dissapointing.

Edit: posted wrong mainboard chipset, from other comp. Corrected for this comp.

Edited: 08/17/2014 at 12:14 PM by Kebal
 08/17/2014 12:16 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Issue report form

Contact AMD customer upport

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/29/2014 11:26 AM

Author Icon
amdrules23
Peon

This happened to me for years on windows 7 64 bit I found it was my anti virus causing the problem.

I tried every other anti virus out there from AVG Avast NOD32 and even nortens all did the same thing and i still got BSODS.

I then found microsoft antivirus I got that and I have never had a problem since.

08/29/2014 01:34 PM

Author Icon
Esmea
Peon

Confirming same issue.

Reformatted to clean system of other interfering issues.

Running Microsoft Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

BSOD pointing at atikmdag.sys (awww, the 8.1 BSOD is cute now! amazing I had never seen it until now)

Running AMD FX-9370

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

32GB Radeon 2133MHz

Asus AMD Radeon R9 290X OC

Driver version 14.7 Beta. (13AUG2014)

Most recent BSOD triggered when recording using Raptr. Other incidents were different.

Statistics
86429 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.