Topic Title: amd driver causes pc to crash
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/20/2014 04:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/20/2014 04:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rp
Peon

After fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit and 14.4 or 14.7 beta driver:

Every time windows turns off monitor after inactivity pc crashes or becomes very slow. I have noticed that ccc.exe takes a lot of ram after monitor turns back on. Crash is caused by atikmdag.exe (according to "who crashed" program). Last time I tried there was also repeated sound of windows finding/disconnecting new device during the time monitor was off. Monitor is LG IPS234-PN, connected via HDMI cable.

Graphics card: Gigabyte R7 260x  GV-R726XOC-1GD REV:1.0

Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX)

Power supply: Chieftec 450W  CTG-450-80P

Thank you in advance. Please let me know if any additional information is required to solve the problem.

08/20/2014 05:20 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Take that HDMI cable and use it to walk your dog, then use the DVI cable as a monitor connection.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/22/2014 03:31 PM

Author Icon
rp
Peon

Thanks. Switched to DVI cable. The sound of device connecting and disconnecing went away and got through full day with no crashes, then blue screen:

On Fri 22.08.2014 20:15:13 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082214-12058-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xC7DBB)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88013153DBB, 0xFFFFF880021B2368, 0xFFFFF880021B1BC0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

08/23/2014 02:09 PM

Author Icon
AMD_BSOD
Peon

Originally posted by: rp Thanks. Switched to DVI cable. The sound of device connecting and disconnecing went away and got through full day with no crashes, then blue screen:

On Fri 22.08.2014 20:15:13 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082214-12058-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xC7DBB) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88013153DBB, 0xFFFFF880021B2368, 0xFFFFF880021B1BC0) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys product: ATI Radeon Family company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Is this a solution when switching to DVI ?

But anyway ... the BSOD is normal with AMD ... you will not get rid of it ever.. when this will not occur anymore you will get a new one... maybe not the next day ..but someday .. maybe with a other driver.... you have to live with it. AMD graphiccards are BSOD generators.

There is a patch for this i think ... i found it after 100000000000 of threads reading around the topic.

Microsoft gives a hotfix for this... it occurs when the GPU is under heavy use this BSOD will be triggered.

Its more a graphiccard problem i guess than a Windows problem. But Microsoft is faster than AMD.

But its more a Beta Hotfix. You shouldnt use it without the knowledge that you shouldnt use it until they implemented it in the last patch of Windows or AMD is fixing the problem.

Your Code is a little bit different but it could help... i dont know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983615/en

And yes AMD you are welcome ... you do nothing about this problem we all have.

Edited: 08/23/2014 at 02:18 PM by AMD_BSOD
 08/23/2014 04:06 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: AMD_BSOD
Originally posted by: rp Thanks. Switched to DVI cable. The sound of device connecting and disconnecing went away and got through full day with no crashes, then blue screen:

On Fri 22.08.2014 20:15:13 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082214-12058-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xC7DBB) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88013153DBB, 0xFFFFF880021B2368, 0xFFFFF880021B1BC0) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys product: ATI Radeon Family company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

But anyway ... the BSOD is normal with AMD ... you will not get rid of it ever.. when this will not occur anymore you will get a new one... maybe not the next day ..but someday .. maybe with a other driver.... you have to live with it. AMD graphiccards are BSOD generators.

There is a patch for this i think ... i found it after 100000000000 of threads reading around the topic.

Microsoft gives a hotfix for this... it occurs when the GPU is under heavy use this BSOD will be triggered.

Its more a graphiccard problem i guess than a Windows problem. But Microsoft is faster than AMD.

But its more a Beta Hotfix. You shouldnt use it without the knowledge that you shouldnt use it until they implemented it in the last patch of Windows or AMD is fixing the problem.

...and yes, this is a user-to-user forum. That means one user tries to help another user. Which you just did.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/23/2014 06:12 PM

Author Icon
AMD_BSOD
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped

...and yes, this is a user-to-user forum. That means one user tries to help another user. Which you just did.

Stumped what do you do when you got a BSOD and dont say to me you dont have BSODs with AMD XD

Are you ignore it or try every old driver until someday there are no BSODs, but this isnt a solution at all.

What are you doing when you have BSODs as someone with 7181 posts ?

And what are youre motivations here to post so much ? Mega Fan-Box or AMD employer ?

08/23/2014 06:54 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: stumped

Stumped what do you do when you got a BSOD and dont say to me you dont have BSODs with AMD XD

Are you ignore it or try every old driver until someday there are no BSODs, but this isnt a solution at all.

What are you doing when you have BSODs as someone with 7181 posts ?

And what are youre motivations here to post so much ? Mega Fan-Box or AMD employer ?

I got in trouble the last time I answered a post like this...

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/23/2014 08:18 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Suspect #1 is that worthless PSU.  Replace it with something that can be counted on to supply power at the correct voltage under load, and see if your crashes still occur.

BSOD's are certainly not a normal feature for AMD cards by any measure.

Statistics
85397 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.