Topic Title: HDMI Audio Dropout with A88X chipset + R9 270X
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/25/2014 11:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2014 11:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
s1mul8
Peon

Just upgraded from an Asrock FM2+ A88X Itx motherboard to an MSI A88XM Gaming Micro Atx motherboard and now I have an issue that I have not encountered before:

HDMI AUDIO SIGNAL DROPPING OUT. Best way to describe it is an intermittent PCM signal loss. Video signal is ok, but intermittently i lose PCM signal to the surround receiver. I can see on the receiver's diagnostics that 5.1 sound is lost for a fraction of a second. Sometimes dropouts can last up to 2 seconds. It can happen every 5 seconds to up to once a minute, completely random.

This problem happens with all audio streams, gaming, watching video, even music streaming such as google music and itunes.

Hardware: MSI A88XM micro atx board, AMD 7850K (with IGP disabled via bios), MSI R9 270X GPU -> connected to Surround Receiver -> connected to HDTV. This is my HTPC, i use it for gaming as well.

Windows 8.1 64. Tested with Catalyst 14.7RC3, 14.4, 13.12.

Attempted solutions that didn't work:

- enable HPET in Bios.

- disable low power PCI-E mode in registry (registry hack).

- disable realtek on board sound, and any other drivers that would cause conflict with HDMI driver.

- raise 2d clocks using custom profile in catalyst.

Basically, I've done every attempt to troubleshoot this issue, no dice.

As mentioned, GPU tested fine on previous system with Asrock board. Pulled another known working R9 270X out of my desktop and tested with HTPC, same problem.

I need to know whether this is a driver issue. Let's face it, AMD does not seem to know how to write a propper HDMI driver that is reliable with all setups. I have only a few days to determine whether or not it is worth the effort to RMA this motherboard or keep it.

Please AMD update your HDMI drivers. Many of us use our PC's with surround receivers, and this HDMI audio issue (many threads about HDMI audio issues and catalyst here and on overclock.net). We need a reliable HDMI audio driver.

One would think that using catalyst and having a 100% AMD system would eliminate compatability issues, doesn't seem to be the case though.

08/26/2014 10:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
s1mul8
Peon

Anyone at AMD listening? it seems like APU support and driver support at AMD is dead, no updates on anything here...

Statistics
88966 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.