Topic Title: Stupid Pc Things you have heard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/16/2012 09:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2012 09:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi I know some of you have seen or been asked some stupid questions and yes there are stupid questions even if the old saying says there are no stupid question’s so I ask post one or 2 of the things you have been through LOL.

For me I guess the best one is I was in staples getting a hp pc for a business and this guy is talking to one of the young sales guys, he has a game cd from a cereal box lol and wants to buy a dvdrw drive to play it on and says that’s all he will need, well the sales guy is a smart young lad and says well you also need a pc to put it in LOL the guy says well I am not buying a pc to play this game and stomps out of the store. LOL We all need a good LOL once in awhile

-------------------------
MSI Mpower Max, I7-4770K, MSI GTX 780 Lightning, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400, 2X Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB , 1Tb Raptor, Creative ZXR Sound, 1000 watt Coolermaster Single 80 amp Rail, G700s Mouse, Z5500 Speakers
 08/17/2012 02:25 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I think that power supply related things are the biggest laugh, people trying to run $500+ cards on a $40 PSU, and especially the people on here who post that they are having issues with their high end card and claim to have, say, a 700w PSU, but then you finally get them to post the specs and the +12v wattage is only a max of like 300w.

Or when people don't do their research and tear apart a graphics card, ripping or removing the thermal tape and/or pads in the process, and then come on here and ask us why thermal goo won't work.

Or better yet, was at university and I took Beginners Computing (for an easy A to help my GPA) and others, who were as proficient in computing as I am at...quantum mechanics...and I would hear things such as "Why isn't they keyboard arranged A-Z, the alphabet doesn't go Q W E R T Y..." and "Why do I have to type http://www before the page I want to go to", and of course the classic "Why do I need anti virus software? I never do anything stupid to get a virus". To that second one I tried to explain about how it actually works (reverse DNS and all) and how http://www is implied as default and how there is an implied period after a webpage address, but this went over about as well as explaining to some people that there's no such thing as headlight fluid.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/17/2012 06:55 AM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

For me, is when many of my friends, knowing I know a ditch more than them regarding on computers, start questions with: "dude, my machine doesn't work.. What could be???"..

My answers: maybe Saturn has lost one of the rings and liberate a wave of micro-meteors and one impact at your machine, some smurfs inside, your bad karma, and a loooong etcetera.. LOL LOL..

It's like asking at a mechanical shop:

dude: my cars doesn't start, what could be???

mechanical:

Checking some of them, a miss-plugged USB drive (yes, IT happens.. LOL), or when a girl told me "hey, my Windows is damage, has no sound".. Checking the sound icon in the task bar, it's on mute.. LOL...

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / 7950 @ 1100-6000 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

08/17/2012 05:59 PM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

I just got this one today a woman wanting a laptop and to get high speed internet. She told me she does not want to get the same isp as her family or friends because they can then get into her account, she thinks this because the rest of her family and friends got a banker trojan and they all lost money she of course wont belive that, they sent it to each other in emails. Like how can you explain that to someone?

MSI Mpower Max, I7-4770K, MSI GTX 780 Lightning, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400, 2X Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB , 1Tb Raptor, Creative ZXR Sound, 1000 watt Coolermaster Single 80 amp Rail, G700s Mouse, Z5500 Speakers
 08/20/2012 06:45 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

See This Thread

And the picture he posted

Might take the #1 spot for "stupid" eh?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/21/2012 09:00 AM

Author Icon
k-9
Cookie Monster

the most stupid thing i seen is this scroll bar or the fact that i don't know how to use it properly...   read a little scroll down , slide over, scroll up, do it all over again.

so if i take the top spot for stupid things you heard, set me straight please

motherboard gigabyte: ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios F8h , amd 965 cpu at 4.0 , sileneX efz-120ha4 cooler, 8 gig patriot pgs34g1600llka memory, xfx 750w power supply, xfx 6970 graphics card, 3-22"1080p monitors , coolermaster HAF 922case, windows 7-64

08/21/2012 11:58 AM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi yes I would say black_zion is in first place with that one LOL.

08/21/2012 12:30 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

k-9: The scroll bar is all the way down below the Statistics box. Alternatively, you can use your universal scrolling if your mouse supports it (default is either click or click and hold the mouse wheel on most mice)

08/21/2012 10:30 PM

Author Icon
jwrealing
Nerfed

Went to Best Buy looking for a new Power Supply. Asked the sales rep. where they were.  His answer: Why! all you have to do is plug it into a outlet, computers don't need a power supply.

I left and went some place else!

GA-MA-790X-UD4P AMD Phenom II 555 BE @3.2 unlocked to 4 cores
Corsair H50 (CPU Cooler) PS Antec EW 750 /Case Antec 900 II
Asus EAH5770 CUcore/Super Talent 8GB DDR2 6400/LG HL-DT-ST DVD/CD Burner,Alpine 3 1/2 Floppy /Hitachi 250 ,WD 250 /Ati High Definition Audio,
Creative SB Titanium X-Fi. OS Windows XP 32 Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

Edited: 08/21/2012 at 11:18 PM by jwrealing
 09/04/2012 03:01 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Both true stories...

A dude brings his PC into the shop, sets it down on the counter and says:

Them: The cup-holder is broken!
Me: Uhm, what?
Them: (Pointing to the CD drive.) When I push the button it doesn't come out anymore.
Me: Arg...

My personal favorite, from my days of working tech support at an ISP which has long since died and gone away...

Them: I can't connect to the Internet.
Me: Ok, what kind of computer do you have?
Them: I don't know.
Me: Ok, no problem. Do you know who made it?
Them: Where can I find that?
Me: There's usually a sticker on the back of the case that has some funny serial numbers on it which should tell you.
Them: (Long pause) It says US Robotics.
Me: That's the modem. Try looking on the case of your computer. The bigger box that your modem is connected to.
Them: It's not connected to anything, except the phone cord going into the wall.
Me: Ok then, that would be the problem.
Them: How do I fix it?
Me: In addition to the phone cord and power cord, there should be one other cable coming from the modem. Plug that cable into the back of the computer.
Them: I don't understand.
Me: It's the bigger box that your monitor and keyboard are connected to. There should be a spot there to plug in the modem on the back of that box.
Them: Monitor and keyboard?

Yeah... they didn't actually have a computer. They had only the modem sitting there on their desk all alone...

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

09/04/2012 07:01 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Forum Moderator

Guys, I know you're looking for stupid, but please refrain from linking directly to a post on these forums, I don't think it reflects properly on ones own charachter to "point and laugh", nor does it reflect well on the owner of these forums (AMD). I'm debating editing the post, but I think the damage has been done, nor am I ever fond of the idea of editing another users posts. Thankfully fusetalk broke the link.

Please change it to be more vague, Thanks!

-IL

09/05/2012 10:46 AM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi yes I agree it is not nice to point and laugh actually these stories are a bit sad. But I don’t know anyone that would buy a new car and not knowing how to drive just jump in it and try to drive it they would learn and get a drivers licence or make themself's look stupid crashing it. Now they buy a pc to which there is a lot more to it than driving and never learn anything about it, to the point of after 8 years of use still don’t know where there email is kept. New users I can see not knowing but after 8 years. So we all have a choice we can either make our self’s look stupid or we can learn a bit about what we are involved in whether it be computers or doing siding or anything else. I look at it this way as I gave my Mum her first pc when she was 68 she used it bought a bigger one got involved with photography has beautiful cameras does all sorts of graphic stuff maintains her pc she is now 82 still doing it has ipad iphone pc laptop the works. So the moral of this story is we can all make our self’s look stupid or we can learn a bit and do a little bit of investigation before hand if you don’t maybe you deserve a LOL.

09/05/2012 11:37 AM

Author Icon
orn
Nerfed

on call with a customer (translated from bangla):

Customer: hello?
Me: Yes sir, how may I help you?
Customer: My keyboard isnt working, it only makes a
Me: did the computer find the keyboard during boot?
Customer: yes, I even logged in with my pasworded(his word) account, now I cant type in word!
Me: Okay sir, is word still open?
Customer: Yes
Me: Is the title bar of word greyed out?
Customer: Yes
Me: Then sir, kindly click the title bar of word
Customer: Okay, now what?
Me: Click on the workspace of the word, I mean the white area where you are supposed to write stuff
Customer: Done!
Me: Now press the "A" key on your keyboard, and see if it works.
Customer: Thank you, you are a funtashtic (again his words) engineer.

need I say more?
 09/05/2012 06:43 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Hammey Hi yes I agree it is not nice to point and laugh actually these stories are a bit sad. But I don’t know anyone that would buy a new car and not knowing how to drive just jump in it and try to drive it they would learn and get a drivers licence or make themself's look stupid crashing it. Now they buy a pc to which there is a lot more to it than driving and never learn anything about it, to the point of after 8 years of use still don’t know where there email is kept. New users I can see not knowing but after 8 years. So we all have a choice we can either make our self’s look stupid or we can learn a bit about what we are involved in whether it be computers or doing siding or anything else. I look at it this way as I gave my Mum her first pc when she was 68 she used it bought a bigger one got involved with photography has beautiful cameras does all sorts of graphic stuff maintains her pc she is now 82 still doing it has ipad iphone pc laptop the works. So the moral of this story is we can all make our self’s look stupid or we can learn a bit and do a little bit of investigation before hand if you don’t maybe you deserve a LOL.

There is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. The world today lacks a lot of the latter, I just think it's always best to be positive, and constructive.

Also, the whole point and laugh thing, drives of customers. both the person being laughed at, and those that read it and get a negative opinion.

Like I said, just keep it vague.

Statistics
84644 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.