Topic Title: My Corsair H60 Review
Topic Summary: As well as "Artic Silver Arcticlean"
Created On: 10/04/2012 09:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2012 09:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

As some of you may know, who knows with the way this forum has been going, I just switched (today actually) from a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with a Delta jet engine to a Corsair H60 with my stock case fan (as exhaust/pull) and included fan (as intake/push). And I have to say...IT'S QUIET AGAIN! After so long with that Xigmatek, even before the Delta fan, it was so loud, even at idle. But now with this H60, even with the fans at 100%, it's whisper quiet, really the only noticeable sound is air moving, which 90% of that is from my front intakes. It is so quiet, I can run my TV at half the volume level I did before and could even go more quiet. As for efficiency...I'm sitting here, sweating, ambient temp 78°F, and the core temps are idling at 40°C. Prime95 "Blend" test picks it up to, well, to high, but this IC Diamond TIM hasn't had time to spread. Yes I know it says it doesn't but it does a bit. When I installed it and ran Prime95 it topped out at about 54°C, dunno what's happened now, but I'm not worried. If it keeps up I might reapply the TIM (or add more) tomorrow. Encoding a movie, which hammers all 4 cores at around 85%, which is the highest real world situation I can think of as games don't hammer it that hard and Prime95 is synthetic and artificial, it tops out at 52°C core temp (remember, ambient is 78°F / 25.6°C) Also, since the mounting brackets are fixed, this thing is a dream to apply, much easier than that Xigmatek I had...Or any AMD heatsink with that sliding mounting bracket.

Now, the Artic Silver Articlean, This stuff. At first I didn't want to get it, after all, it's $8, but I decided to anyway. Now, I've had to clean heatsinks before, several times, but with this stuff it's an entirely different beast. Before I would use 91% alcohol, a rag, and elbow grease. With this stuff, it's a few drops, let it set, wipe off, repeat once for good measure (as I was using a cheap paper napkin this time which isn't very absorbent), put on the second stage and wipe off. I tell you it's a dream, plus with only a few drops each time you'll have to order 3 or more tubes of TIM before you buy more of this stuff. So, at $7.45 (and free shipping)...I've wasted $7.45 on far worse stuff than this. So especially if you use Diamond based TIM, -get this-, you won't be sorry.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64

Edited: 10/04/2012 at 09:30 PM by black_zion
 10/05/2012 07:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Addendum: I replaced the Corsair fan with an old Scythe I had (which was rattling like crazy, but thankfully stopped, bloody sleeve bearings) and moved the Corsair fan to the side panel and temps under Prime95 "Blend" dropped to 54°C (ambient 77°F/25.2°C). I'm sure I could get them lower if I cut the top and second rear fan off and flipped it around to draw in outside air, but this Antec 1200 isn't really optimized for this kind of thing. It'd also be better if I could be bothered to move my graphics card down to the second PCIe x16 (electrical) slot so it wouldn't draw in air across the (very warm) card. But I'm being picky, it does a better job than my Xigmatek with less noise, and what noise there is is just "air wooshing" noise instead of the high pitched fan whine or the "air moving through heatsink fins" noise.

Know the bad thing? I spent about $35 on that Xigmatek, about $10 on that Scythe fan, about $15 on the 38mm Scythe fan that replaced it, and $25 on the Delta fan that replaced that (sum ~$85) and this thing cost, including that $15 Scythe fan, $79.99 ($64.99 for the H60)...

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
85337 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.