Topic Title: Is AMD in an unstopable fall?
Topic Summary: After having seen tons of news around there talking about massive jobcuts. I wonder where is AMD heading?
Created On: 10/17/2012 01:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2012 01:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Polaco

This massive headcuts and management unable to show a more convincing response to financial troubles than firing people makes me wonder where is AMD going?

Who on earth will buy a CPU or much worse a GPU from a company that is near to pass away and leave you with a non support nor driver pieces of hardware?

Seeing AMD in this situation is a pain in my heart, and seeing how top mangement are such a waste of money in salaries and bonuses makes me anger.

sad day...

-------------------------
Phenom II 955, Radeon 6850, MSI K9A2 CF F V2, 6GB DDR2 800MHZ 4GB ViperX and 2GB Supertalent Extreme timmings 4-4-4-12, 550W PSU.
 10/17/2012 08:53 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

AMD isn't going to go away anytime soon. They took the couple of billion dollars that Intel gave them in the anti trust settlement and used half of it to pay off all of their near term bonds, so they are set for a while. And why would a company who is posting profits go out of business? If you look at This page which is AMD's financial reportings for 2012 so far (which only includes Q1 and Q2 because of the way companies file), you'll see that in Q2 2012 they posted a GAAP PROFIT of $37 Million or 5¢ per share. The reason AMD stock is going in the ***** is because they're not making ENOUGH profit to satisfy the Wall Street day traders (the mofos who buy hundreds of thousands of shares, sell a few minutes later, and repeat, and pray they meet margin calls at the end of the day), and they're not making ENOUGH profit to satisfy the long term players (5¢ vs 20x or 200x that for other companies), so their stock is going down.

Once AMD is able to get out Piledriver (this month), and especially Steamroller they will be in better shape. And don't forget, AMD is making the GPU that's inside the Wii U, and it's the IBM CPU that people are complaining about.

The stock market is a weird thing, I've seen Dell miss their EPS by 1¢ and their stock drop to 33% of its value a week later. I've seen IBM stock rise by 50% in 3 months from $80 to $120. I've seen Ford stock (which I realllly wish I had bought) quadruple it's value in a few months. So I wouldn't worry about AMD going away.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/17/2012 10:22 AM

Author Icon
Polaco

More concerned about the stock margins what worries me is the head cuts that will be done. Almost 30% between engineering and sales. It would be nice to see management cruxified before.

Phenom II 955, Radeon 6850, MSI K9A2 CF F V2, 6GB DDR2 800MHZ 4GB ViperX and 2GB Supertalent Extreme timmings 4-4-4-12, 550W PSU.
 10/17/2012 10:55 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Perhaps listing some links to what you are referring to would help clarify what you're talking about?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/17/2012 12:08 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Polaco This massive headcuts and management unable to show a more convincing response to financial troubles than firing people makes me wonder where is AMD going?

Who on earth will buy a CPU or much worse a GPU from a company that is near to pass away and leave you with a non support nor driver pieces of hardware?

Seeing AMD in this situation is a pain in my heart, and seeing how top mangement are such a waste of money in salaries and bonuses makes me anger.

sad day...

With times being what they are you need to ask yourself, if they can barely afford gas, food and shelter, and with a dollar that is becoming rapidly de-valued, are people really going to drop a load of cash on a new computer/cpu etc, or are they going to take care of their basic needs first.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

10/17/2012 12:38 PM

Author Icon
Polaco

Originally posted by: MD - Moderator
Originally posted by: Polaco This massive headcuts and management unable to show a more convincing response to financial troubles than firing people makes me wonder where is AMD going?

sad day...

With times being what they are you need to ask yourself, if they can barely afford gas, food and shelter, and with a dollar that is becoming rapidly de-valued, are people really going to drop a load of cash on a new computer/cpu etc, or are they going to take care of their basic needs first.

Really? Which country are you talking about? US, Europe, South America, Asia? With that perspective other would have been firing loads of employees, why AMD bothers building high end video cards then? Why Intel sells a lot of cpus? Why Apple sells it's tablets like there were no tomorrow?  I know world is in an economic crysis but there is no excuse for this except really bad, awful management.

Some links to what I am refering to someone asked?

Well, here they are:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-12/advanced-micro-devices-said-to-plan-to-cut-as-many-as-2-340-jobs.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57531659-75/amd-preps-layoffs-that-could-hit-30-percent-of-its-workers/

http://www.eweek.com/pc-hardware/amd-job-cuts-loom-as-financial-forecast-darkens/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/amd-preparing-for-another-round-of-layoffs/
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/10/12/amds-layoffs-target-engineering/

10/17/2012 03:17 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Think it is worth mentioning that Intel's stock is continuing to fall on forecasts of slowing sales as well

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/17/2012 03:54 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Personally, I would like to see AMD sell off ATI. Then maybe a reputable buyer would concentrate its efforts to building/maintaining world class graphics cards.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/17/2012 03:59 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

In a Slow Market, Intel Exceeds Lowered Expectations

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • Print
  • Reprints

SAN FRANCISCO — Intel crossed an earnings bar it lowered for itself last month, but the problems plaguing its main market for semiconductors — personal computers — seemed no closer to ending.

Intel, the world’s biggest maker of chips, is feeling pain from a global downturn in demand for personal computers. While Intel makes many kinds of chips, the ones that go into PCs are among its most profitable. The PC market is eroding, however, because of economic weakness and a shift to devices like smartphones and tablets.

Intel has fought the trend by investing in new styles of PCs that work more like tablets, by selling chips for the servers in big cloud computing data centers that connect PCs and the new devices, and by finding new uses for more powerful chips. So far, little of this has worked.

“The problem is demand,” said Ken Dulaney, vice president at Gartner, a technology research firm. “People are buying other things with their disposable income for electronics, like tablets, televisions, smartphones, e-readers and gaming devices. Intel is trying to take its technology to these consumers, but this is a transition period.”

Almost no one is counting Intel out, but the rough market transition will not end soon. In a conference call with securities analysts, Paul Otellini, Intel’s chief executive, said that he expected PC demand would grow at half the normal rate in the fourth quarter.

At the same time, he expressed optimism about demand because of a new computer operating system from Microsoft called Windows 8 that will be released Oct. 26. Over 100 new, lighter types of PCs with tabletlike functions would be produced by computer manufacturers using Windows 8, Mr. Otellini said. That could renew demand in 2013.

“It’s pretty hard to say that in good economic cycles we wouldn’t get into normal growth,” Mr. Otellini said. “The tablet is not the end state of computing.”

The chip maker, based in Santa Clara, Calif., said net income in the third quarter fell 14.3 percent to $3 billion, or 58 cents a share, from $3.5 billion, or 65 cents a share, a year earlier. Revenue was $13.5 billion, down 5 percent from $14.2 billion a year earlier.

On Sept. 7, Intel warned that third-quarter revenue would be $13.2 billion after earlier projections of $13.8 billion to $14.8 billion. Industry analysts were expecting earnings of 50 cents a share, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters. The stock, which fell about 3.5 percent in after-hours trading, closed in regular trading up 62 cents, or 2.85 percent, at $22.35.

For the fourth quarter, Intel projected its revenue would be $13.6 billion, plus or minus $500 million, and that its gross profit margins would shrink.

Last week the International Data Corporation, a market research firm, estimated that the worldwide PC market contracted 8.6 percent in the third quarter. The smartphone and tablet manufacturers that Intel sells to tend to have more competition and lower volumes than those in the PC market, which is about 350 million units a year.

Intel has tried to revive the PC market with a small, thin design called the ultrabook, but so far this has been unsuccessful. Recently IHS iSuppli, a market research firm, forecast that just 28 million ultrabooks would be sold in the second half of 2012, down from an earlier estimate of 35 million units.

The pain was being felt by other chip makers, too. Last week AMD said its third-quarter revenue would fall about 10 percent from the $1.4 billion recorded in the second quarter. AMD was expected to lay off a significant number of its staff. Mr. Otellini did not indicate that Intel would be laying people off.

Away from PCs, which accounted for $8.6 billion of total revenue, Intel reported revenue of $2.7 billion in its data center group, an increase of 6 percent from a year ago.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

10/17/2012 04:25 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Except that today Intel closed $0.56 down, or a 2.51% loss on the day.

Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC): After they reported results that kept the Dow negative, both Intel Corporation and IBM tumbled. IBM posted third-quarter revenue that came in under expectations. They alone caused a 66-point drag on the blue chip average and lost 4.3% to $201.85. Intel gave a weak fourth-quarter revenue outlook, they dropped 2.7% to $21.75. Both were among the biggest drags on the Dow and Nasdaq.

10/17/2012 04:57 PM

Author Icon
Polaco

Yep but we were talking about AMD future not Intel's one. AMD seems lot more in danger zone than intel. At least intel isn't rumoured to fire tons of people. AMD seems to be staying to far from intel, AMD is still at 32nm. I was really hoping to be in 22nm by now and Piledriver out.

10/17/2012 05:14 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

sad day...

So...

AMD going uphill: Good hardware, low prices, almost zero support.

AMD going downhill: Good hardware, low prices, almost zero support.

What's the difference? I see none. A few people fired here and there don't change anything for us, end-users.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

10/17/2012 05:29 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Polaco, I am starting to think that you are trolling.  You made your point, others have provided their proof that it is not just AMD feeling the heat now-a-days which you are choosing not to recognize. 

I'm going to watch this thread closely, so keep it a civil debate gentlemen.  I am quoting the Terms & Conditions below as a reminder to all as I see that this thread has the potential to go south real quick.  If it does I'll lock it and hand out warnings.

5. NO PERSONAL INSULTS or ATTACKS. AMD provides this site for our users to gather and discuss AMD products and technology in general. You are free to disagree with others, but if you stoop to personal abuse or attacks, your post(s) will be deleted. If you are insulted, please report the post but DO NOT retaliate. Posts that contain or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, or hateful content or content which is racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, or which infringes upon the rights of any third party are strictly prohibited and will be removed.

7. NO TROLLING OR FLAME WARS. Trolling and/or attempting to bait others into a flame war will not be tolerated. Any posts we deem to do so will be deleted.

Carry on

Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/17/2012 06:02 PM

Author Icon
Polaco

Sorry is no my intention to troll. I can understand what others have pointed and I have already watched Intel status. I would really love that analysing the problem through the persepective of a world in crysis or fall in PC sells would leave AMD in a more comfortable  and understantable situation.  

I really think I'm not trolling or whatever.

10/18/2012 04:45 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

...and lets not forget Macrosuck

"" (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's fiscal first-quarter profit fell a greater-than-expected 22 percent, hurt by a dip in computer sales running its Windows operating system and the deferral of some revenue ahead of upcoming releases of its core Windows and Office products.

Its shares fell 2 percent in after-hours trading.

The world's largest software company said quarterly profit fell to $4.47 billion, or 53 cents per share, from $5.74 billion, or 68 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.

Wall Street had expected earnings of 56 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Sales fell 8 percent to $16.01 billion, partly caused by the dip in demand for personal computers running Windows, as consumers held off new purchases in the tight economy or opted to buy tablet devices instead. The decline was exaggerated by Microsoft's deferral of some revenue which it will regain next quarter.

Analysts, anticipating the dip in PC sales and accounting for the deferred revenue, had called for sales of 16.4 billion. Microsoft is hoping to revive PC sales next week with the launch its new Windows 8 system on Friday.

"Investors were not expecting a home run. All expectations are on the launch of Windows 8 and the entrance into the tablet market," said Daniel Ives, analyst at FBR Capital Markets. "In light of the environment, the macro and PC situation, these are respectable numbers."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/18/us-microsoft-results-idUSBRE89H1GF20121018?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=76

10/19/2012 12:42 AM

Author Icon
Polaco

But hey! You are watching it the wrong way, microsoft has been comming in the bad track a long time by now, they seem to show signs of awakening just now. Again here we see another company badly managed, Ballmer was choosen as one of the worst CEOs in the world (maybe in the galaxy too).

Intel has lost a bit of money but not even near compared to AMD situation. Intel Pentium, i3, i5 have the 80% of the notebooks market. That's also an epic fail of AMD in introducing into that market.

AMD has screwed it's performance a lot since Bulldozer, if anything Bulldozer did was bulldozing the wrong company. AMD revision of that architecture has taken a year, maybe if the upcoming Piledriver were relased 6 months ago things would have been different.

Look at this news!

http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Sinking-Under-Hurricane-of-Bad-News/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ultramobile-tablet-apu-cpu,18546.html

tons of inventory getting old in their boxes! It seems that they will fire part of the Canadian ex-ATI team. If something that performs decently and do their job is the GPU division of the company and they will take the hit?! AMD Managment really wants to be AMD on the floor, they are dismantling it!

I'm not a troll.. just telling you what every specialized site are posting.

Say wathever you want I would be very glad and surprised if AMD survive this. This remmembers me the beloved 3dfx final days...

10/19/2012 08:38 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Let's not forget Google, they made $2.18 BILLION PROFIT this quarter, but they made $2.73 BILLION PROFIT this quarter last year, and their stock dropped from $755 to $646 yesterday before they halted trading because it was in such a freefall. Though it has recovered to $695 they are still down $50 (8%) per share even thought they made OVER TWO BILLION DOLLARS PROFIT IN 3 MONTHS! Are you surprised puny little AMD (though their earnings report says they lost money this quarter, they still have over a billion dollars cash on hand) is seeing their stock decline?

10/19/2012 11:49 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Before launch: OMG it's teh best thing EVAR!

At launch:  Meh...

After launch: OMG I foresee doom!

Wait a while, then do it again...

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

10/19/2012 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Polaco

Rumors confirmed

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/cpu/amd-announces-q3-results-157-million-loss-layoffs-planned/

10/19/2012 10:11 PM

Author Icon
Polaco

The worst thing is that all this crysis has just happened when AMD seemed to be getting back on track with the Vishera, Piledriver and Radeon line.

I have seen just by chance the other day an AMD powered w7 tablet, they have so little publicity. I would really love to see some Vishera powered notebooks in my conuntry but here almost everything is Celeron, Atom, Pentium, iCore...  

AMD Support and Game » Off-Topic » Is AMD in an unstopable fall?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
81037 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.