Topic Title: Is AMD in an unstopable fall?
Topic Summary: After having seen tons of news around there talking about massive jobcuts. I wonder where is AMD heading?
Created On: 10/17/2012 01:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2012 10:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Actually, the announcement AMD made fell short of the rumors.  It's still bad news for AMD, but the layoffs aren't in the range of 20 or 30% that some were predicting.

As others have said though, it's not just AMD that's feeling the pain.  Just about everyone is having to tighten their belts at least a little bit even still... and not just in the computer industry.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

10/20/2012 01:49 AM

Author Icon
Polaco
Grinding Levels

Agree about that many industries are readapting check this...

http://www.techspot.com/news/50556-sony-to-lay-off-2000-workers-close-a-digital-imaging-factory.html

Since pc, notebooks, netbooks (from now on "pc") builders are seeing decrease their sells this affects Microsoft, Intel, AMD and other hardware manufacturers.

What would be the main problem here? The fact that builders have innovated little in the pc segment letting other devices take their place? People investing in portable devices like tablets since they already have a pc? The world crysis?

I'm really surprised how people are buying such expensive devices like tablets that provide less functionallity, more expensive, less maintainable and fast obsolescence products. So that would denote not crysis but market changes. Will the next year pc market gain a bit more impulse since many will already have a tablet and will windows 8 arrival give a breathe to pc? I had never seen the huge importance of windows how this OS moves the pc industry. 

So, suppouse Microsoft goes down.. what would happend with all the pc industry? just freeze? start offering Linux based home pc?

Weird times we are living...

Phenom II 955, Radeon 6850, MSI K9A2 CF F V2, 6GB DDR2 800MHZ 4GB ViperX and 2GB Supertalent Extreme timmings 4-4-4-12, 550W PSU.
 10/20/2012 02:56 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

O well....

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 10/20/2012 at 04:02 PM by stumped
 10/20/2012 04:27 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

I personally think the reason is the smartphone.  It does pretty much everything that I need to do throughout the day and since it is always on me I use it all the time....I'm typing this on my phone right as a matter of fact.  Today's smartphones are pretty powerful little devices IMHO.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/20/2012 09:38 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Polaco

So, suppouse Microsoft goes down.. what would happend with all the pc industry? just freeze? start offering Linux based home pc?

Weird times we are living...

The thing is... when changes like this happen, one platform doesn't completely replace the other.  The change happens gradually with bits of the old platform sticking to the new one until you end up with something that's a mix much more than a replacement.

Tablets and smartphones can do a lot of stuff, but desktop PCs aren't going to die and go away completely, they'll just merge into something inbetween. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

10/20/2012 09:43 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Mime
Originally posted by: Polaco

The thing is... when changes like this happen, one platform doesn't completely replace the other.  The change happens gradually with bits of the old platform sticking to the new one until you end up with something that's a mix much more than a replacement.

Tablets and smartphones can do a lot of stuff, but desktop PCs aren't going to die and go away completely, they'll just merge into something inbetween. 

Agree....a good example is the Google laptop.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/new-google-chromebook/

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/21/2012 01:12 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

It's like what happens when one country invades another.  There's almost always at least a little mixing, rather than one population just wiping out another.

So, what's happening with PC hardware can be thought of as the result of years of non-consensual sex between previously separate groups.

... where's Orn when you need them... 

Troll Hunter

AMD Support and Game » Off-Topic » Is AMD in an unstopable fall?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84985 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.