Topic Title: Problems with HD5770 and Phenom II
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/08/2012 03:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/08/2012 03:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hacek
n00b

Motherboard: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P

CPU: AMD Phenom II 555 BE x4 (unlocked cores)

GPU: ASUS EAH5770 1GB CuCore

1) When I run AMD OverDrive it says: "cannot detect AMD CPU on this computer".

What's wrong with it? Is it hardware(CPU? motherboard?) or software problem?

2) I can't change GPU voltage.

I tried MSI Afterburner (with unofficial overclocking) and Gigabyte OC GURU, voltage option was disabled.

I tried ASUS Smartdoctor but it says "can not find graphics card information" similar like AMD OverDrive.

I also tried to modify voltage in GPU BIOS but it didn't work. After that voltage wasn't increased.

I'm out of ideas what's wrong. Are these problems related? Can anyone help me?

10/08/2012 03:50 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

The cause of your first issue is that you unlocked your CPU to a quad core.  This changes how the system sees your CPU and therefor will cause some issues.  You will also note that your core temps stay constant no matter what you are doing.

The second issue I am not sure about so I will leave that portion of your post to someone else.

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/08/2012 04:00 PM

Author Icon
hacek
n00b

Ok, thanks.

Is there any other software than EasyTune and AMD OverDrive where I can set CPU max multiplier?

I don't want to set it with BIOS because I want to use Cool'n'Quiet features.

10/08/2012 04:24 PM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

You can't change voltage on any Radeon 5XXX series cards.

Only the higher end Nivida cards have voltage control I beleave.

Olso I would't use software to OC with, to test with yeah,

You can hard set it in the BIOS and depending how high you OC'ed it C&Q should still work.

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 04:32 PM by Slayerx
 10/08/2012 04:46 PM

Author Icon
hacek
n00b

Originally posted by: Slayerx  You can't change voltage on any Radeon 5XXX series cards.

Look here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125836

Exactly the same model as mine.

Also my friend can change GPU voltage in Sapphire HD5770.

Originally posted by: Slayerx Olso I would't use software to OC with

I don't want to use BIOS beacuse even in idle multiplier is set to max.

When I use e.g EasyTune max multiplier is only set when it's needed to be set.

10/08/2012 05:32 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

You can change the voltage on any card which has the capability to be changed, which requires more expensive components and not all cards have it, so you would be best to ask on the Sapphire forums if your specific SKU is able to, as there are several different SKUs of any model.

As for the CPU, you need to use BIOS for overclocking, especially if you are using a core unlocker feature. You also do NOT need to be using Cool N Quiet with an unlocked CPU, as the disabled core(s) might not be able to function at the different C state voltages.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/08/2012 06:44 PM

Author Icon
hacek
n00b

@black_zion:

Please read my posts before you answer.

You can change the voltage on any card which has the capability to be changed, which requires more expensive components and not all cards have it, so you would be best to ask on the Sapphire forums if your specific SKU is able to, as there are several different SKUs of any model.

I have ASUS GPU and here someone had changed voltage in EXACTLY THE SAME model as mine http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125836

As for the CPU, you need to use BIOS for overclocking, especially if you are using a core unlocker feature. You also do NOT need to be using Cool N Quiet with an unlocked CPU, as the disabled core(s) might not be able to function at the different C state voltages.

I use unlocked CPU with C'n'Q for more than year and everything is okay.

If I set multiplier in BIOS it can't be changed in idle. When I use software, multiplier and voltage decreases.

10/08/2012 08:59 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: hacek Motherboard: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P

CPU: AMD Phenom II 555 BE x4 (unlocked cores)

GPU: ASUS EAH5770 1GB CuCore

1) When I run AMD OverDrive it says: "cannot detect AMD CPU on this computer".

What's wrong with it? Is it hardware(CPU? motherboard?) or software problem?

2) I can't change GPU voltage.

I tried MSI Afterburner (with unofficial overclocking) and Gigabyte OC GURU, voltage option was disabled.

I tried ASUS Smartdoctor but it says "can not find graphics card information" similar like AMD OverDrive.

I also tried to modify voltage in GPU BIOS but it didn't work. After that voltage wasn't increased.

I'm out of ideas what's wrong. Are these problems related? Can anyone help me?

By that you mean that you did the following?

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

• Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
    I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it <do not place a period at the end of the sentence>
  • Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path
  • Restart MSI Afterburner

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/08/2012 10:34 PM

Author Icon
Damric
Cookie Monster

It could be the same model but different revision with a cheaper voltage regulator. Sapphire is most notorious for this, but all of the brands do it sometimes.

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.
Statistics
80968 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.