Topic Title: Help with building my new rig welcomed
Topic Summary: building PC for video transcoding and gaming
Created On: 11/29/2012 03:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/29/2012 03:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Illsteward
Peon

Hi guys,

it's been a year since I last posted, I think, but maybe some of you will still remember that I sometimes show up with asking about building some kind of computer.

Currently, I was tasked to build a multimedia and gaming machine on a very tight budget. For anyone living in Czech Republic, I am working on 5000CZK for the mobo+RAM+CPU. In USD, that is about $240. I've been looking around for some parts and so far I figured that for the best price-to-power ratio, I will go with this:

Motherboard: ASROCK FM2A55M-DGS (DDR3/FM2/USB2.0/SATA II) - $61 
CPU:  AMD A8-5600K (FM2, integrated GPU HD7560) - $121.50
RAM:  Kingston 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11 HyperX Beast Series - $61
GPU:  SAPPHIRE HD 6570 Ultimate Passive Cooling, 1GB VRAM - $73

The entire setup will so far rest in my Thermaltake Armor case, powered by 600W Corsair PSU. It is worth about $242, plus the GPU I already own, in local stores and since I am not really a fan of getting things from other countries before or right after Christmas (loooooots of parcel gets stolen, or "were send incomplete" on our customs, at least from my experience), I have to work with a bit higher prices than international.

Anyway, what is expected from the PC:
1) Transcoding (by x264 codec, and from multiple various codecs) of both SD and HD video
2) Occasional gaming of 2000-era titles (Dragon Age 1+2, Mass Effect, maybe some Diablo 3) in high details - no quick shooters
3) Sporadic gaming of current titles with whatever settings it can get
4) mundane work, that really doesn't require anything past tablet, performance-wise

For reasoning behind the components: the motherboard offers A55 chipset and supposedly supports DDR3 at 2400MHz. The APU has integrated HD7560, that should be on par with my current HD5750, which will be further supported by the HD6570 GPU in Dual Graphics mode (recommended on AMD pages).  Since I had CrossFire some time ago and found out that I do NOT notice microstuttering in games, and neither does my GF, it shouldn't be any kind of problem. The RAMs are 8GB now, but later I think I may decide to buy second of these kits, and going with 16GB of RAM, rated on 2400MHz. Should be enough for video transcoding and sure as hell is enough for any kind of games, especialy since we usually play in low resolutions (1680*1050) and will switch to HD playback in may, IF ever. Encoding is different story, but we mostly get those videos on stream on our HD television, and then pass them forward.

Any help is aprreciated. But please, try to stand a bit on the budget. I wrote down the pricing of components in my country, so that you can calculate how much it differs from international pricings (that you are used to).

Thanks,

Illsteward

11/29/2012 09:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Right now what I would do is forget the discrete card and go for the full Trinity based A10 APU, then if it is insufficient (which it shouldn't be, as the A10 series is quite powerful) you could always add a weak used discrete GPU later.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84851 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.