Topic Title: A Good PC Case
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/10/2013 12:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2013 12:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

As a PC case isn't entirely.. electronics, thought I'd put it in the off-topic section . I am a bit of a beginner when I face choosing a case for a new PC. In the past I have always either salvaged some old case or bought a cheap one and added some fans thinking, that what matters is on the inside. So my question would be, which are quality pc case manufacturers? The plastic on some of them looks like if I accidentally give them a nudge, they shatter. Always liked Lian Li's snailshell case, but paying 216 euros retail (price in local electronics shops) seems a bit steep.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 01/10/2013 01:23 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

I love my HAF 932...  and I recent built a computer with a Cooler Master Elite 361 (very nice little case).  Cooler Master, Lian Li, Bit Fenix and Corsair would all be Brands I recommend

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

01/10/2013 08:51 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Depends, I use the Antec 1200, love it, lots of space, nice cable management, and great ventilation. But if you're looking for something a bit smaller, I recently built one with the Antec 300, it's not to small, still has good ventilation, with the drawbacks of no cable management. I've also seen good reviews for Cougar and CoolerMaster cases. Lian Li...To me they're to expensive for what they are

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/10/2013 12:44 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

QB listed a few of the big ones.  I'll add Fractal Design to the list as well.

Depends what form factor your board is also.  My most recent build took place in a Bitfenix Prodigy, which is a mini-itx case.  My latest non-SFF build took place in a Define R3.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

01/10/2013 02:59 PM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

It really depends on the price you want to pay for the quality you get. For my system builds I usually go for Antec, Cooler master, Corsair, and Zalman as the manufacturer.

My dream computer case is the Cooler Master Cosmos 2 RC-1200. If you are planning to get into water cooling this would be the case to do it in my opinion.

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

01/10/2013 04:52 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah people like the Cosmos 2... The thing is a monster.

Corsair is showing the 900D(codenamed "Godzilla") at CES this year, which is supposed to be even bigger.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

01/14/2013 10:21 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Zipsi, I moved the thread into the Benchmarking, Modding category.  Thought it was best here.

I think there are a number of stand-out case manufacturers, and  I am not too concerned about a case having plastic components.  However, if you know you are not the most gentle person, or move your system around a lot, then I would think an aluminum case that is sturdy and light would be money well spent.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

01/14/2013 11:07 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

My dream case would be a CaseLabs case, they are really expensive though, but I love the look and the fact that I would never really need to replace it again unless they changed the motherboard form factor.

Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/14/2013 02:51 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I would always go with steel. Thick steel. My first case was the original ThermalTake Armor which was a behemoth. Steel/Aluminum mix is alright. Acrylic is an interesting idea, I've only seen one I can remember which was almost totally transparent (think Plexiglass clear). Plastic...I'd avoid it, metal isn't that much higher.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/14/2013 03:06 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Aluminum doesn't rust... which can be useful if you plan on keeping the case for a number of years, and live by the ocean or in a very humid climate.  Otherwise, there's not much difference.

I like the idea of an all-acrylic case where you can see everything, but personally I don't care for the looks of most that you can buy.  I tried building one of my own a few years ago, and I've had a deep seated mistrust of the material ever since.

Troll Hunter

Edited: 01/14/2013 at 03:17 PM by Mime
 01/14/2013 04:49 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I've toyed with the idea of building my own case, especially since I went with the Corsair H60 and no longer need a massive airflow through the case. My idea was making it out of wood, most likely Pine stained to look like Cherry with some lighter wood inlay, and with side panels which are either hinged and lower down, or slide forward. I would lose the front case USB ports, but that's not a problem for me as my keyboard has 2 and monitor 4 if I ever needed them, and power and reset switches, which are physically present on my motherboard as well and power on can be set in BIOS to a keystroke.

The only problem I can see with that though is that with the temperature changes wood would eventually crack, but all done, sealed, and polished to a nice shine, it'd look so sweet...

01/14/2013 05:05 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

One of my first case mods was done mostly with wood.  I was using a full tower, made from steel at the time, which meant the finished product tipped the scales(yes, I actually weighed it) at 80+ pounds.  I didn't move it that much, but it looked cool. 

Believe it or not, the next project was even bigger.

Troll Hunter

01/14/2013 06:43 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

That does make me think, you know how they have competitions for the best custom paint job for a car and such, I wonder if there is a competition for the best custom case?

01/14/2013 07:10 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yes there is, and if I had entered that project into one I'm sure it would have won the "Most likely to cause a hernia" award. 

Troll Hunter

02/04/2013 03:00 AM

Author Icon
Dagorath
Peon

The answer to the question depends on what you want the case to do.  If you need it to make a ***** statement then there is no good case for you because 4 months from now trend and vogue will all be different and your once trendy ***** statement will be a worn out old hat.

If you need the case to keep your stuff cool then again there is no good case because they all interfere with air flow. Pay absolutely no attention to what their literature says for they are interested first and foremost in emptying your pockets, all of your pockets, they couldn't care less if your junk overheats. They sell you a useless case on purpose so you'll turn around and buy a monster cooling solution too.  But only if you're gullible.  And you probably are.

In the end the best case is no case so buy the cheapest case you can lay your hands on then remove the sides.  When I need a new case I go to the local landfill (dump). They have a used electronics drop off point where there are hundreds of TVs, computers, you-name-it.  I grab whatever suits my needs and leave.  Last month I took home a perfectly good i7 Sandy Bridge system.  It wouldn't boot and I traced the problem to a bad disk. Replaced the disk and it works just fine.  Well, then I had to go back to the dump for another case because I obviously wasn't going to remove the Sandy Bridge rig and use that case.  Oh, I run BOINC so I have several systems running.  I found a perfectly good LCD monitore there once too.  I dunno why but something told me there was nothing wrong with the thing and I was right.

Edit added: Hey! I'm a Peon. Cool!!!

Is it new? Heck no it's better than new, I fixed it already!

02/04/2013 03:19 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Originally posted by: Dagorath

If you need the case to keep your stuff cool then again there is no good case because they all interfere with air flow.

Totally untrue...  my case actually cools my system and is far FAR superior to some piece of junk with no sides on it.  A good case creates airflow.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

Statistics
85759 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.