Topic Title: First-aid for a poor, sad, neglected PC
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/02/2013 07:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/02/2013 07:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

A number of years ago I build the folks an XP machine using what I can salvage from their recently dead previous desktop, and pulling whatever I can't from my collection of spare parts.  Recently I notice that tell-tale buzzy, rattly, whiney noise coming from it's heatsink which often preceeds the death of a fan.

I figure I should go for an ounce of prevention and all that, and I know I'll be the one fixing it if it dies completely anyway.  However, I didn't plan on making this into a mini-project log until I saw the state of its interior...

The machine is an old Shuttle XPC.  The heatsink fan its self was the worst of the lot...

The tools of the job are now at hand...

Some canned air for killing dust bunnies, a tiny tube of graphite powder, and some new goo for the fan bearing.  A little lube makes everything easier....  Yeah, I went there...

Usually you can just pull the fan blades right off, although with smaller fans some care must be taken not to snap off any fan blades while removing the housing.

Normally there will be old goo around the spindle and around the bearing, but this fan is so sad and dirty that all of the old goo has dried up and gone away. Time for some new goo...

A little more goo than is strictly necessary... but that's not going to hurt.  I often just smear it on the spindle and let the spinning of the fan blades distribute it around where it needs to go.  Adding the graphite powder isn't strictly necessary either, it just helps keep everything spinning smoothly.

I always forget which direction I should place the fan in order for the proper airflow, so I always have to spend a few minutes looking for these little arrows once all is said and done.

I can actually see through the fins of the heatsink again.    Let's rewind to the beginning for the dramatic before-and-after...

And we end up with a much happier PC. 

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 07:54 PM by Mime
 03/02/2013 10:11 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

As well as a great legacy gaming machine. That's also a very interesting heatsink on there as well.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/04/2013 02:16 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

The folks don't do a whole lot of gaming as evidenced by the empty AGP slot. 

I always liked those heatsinks also.  Shuttle still uses them today just with more heatpipes and whatnot.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/05/2013 11:08 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

Caps still look good too. Rubycons?

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

03/05/2013 12:15 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Nerfed

Neat cleaning there! Might as well replace the CMOS battery while you are at it, then will not have to open it up soon again.

an Alpha Geek @ AMD Processors Forums | 01/21/2006 | post count 3217

03/05/2013 12:58 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: MD - Moderator Caps still look good too. Rubycons?

Yep... tough little buggers.  Years later and they still look good as new. 

Originally posted by: go_for Neat cleaning there! Might as well replace the CMOS battery while you are at it, then will not have to open it up soon again.

Yeah that's a good idea.  With that and the cleaning(assuming no other problems), I figure the folks should get a few more years out of it still. 

Troll Hunter

03/05/2013 04:07 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Find some ATI All-In-Wonder card and you'll get even more than that.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/05/2013 09:52 PM

Author Icon
k-9
Cookie Monster

i did not know that the spray duster worked that well , impressive

motherboard gigabyte: ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios F8h , amd 965 cpu at 4.0 , sileneX efz-120ha4 cooler, 8 gig patriot pgs34g1600llka memory, xfx 750w power supply, xfx 6970 graphics card, 3-22"1080p monitors , coolermaster HAF 922case, windows 7-64

03/06/2013 01:38 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I had thought about getting out the air compressor and fully declaring war on the dust bunnies, but the canned air did the job. 

Troll Hunter

03/06/2013 04:01 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

If you use a compressor, make sure you lock the rotors on the fans, I do that with my shop-vac, just make sure to remove the rotor locks --> I killed my AMS power supply that way DOH!

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

Statistics
88806 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.