Topic Title: How to Limit FPS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/03/2013 06:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/03/2013 06:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Luzeryn
Peon

Sorry about my bad english. I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this. I have a Sapphire Radeon 7870 HD and sometimes while playing certain games (usually in menus) or loading them, the graphics card starts making a high pitch noise. This is happening because the graphics card is working with really high FPS (1000+). However, in other games it does not sound at all. What I would like is to know how to set a maximum fps (like 60) so the graphics card don't go crazy at those times. I have tried EVGA Precision X but the option is disabled. Also, the VSync option of the AMD Catalyst doesn't seem to set the fps to 60 either. Any suggestions? Thank you.

03/04/2013 08:23 PM

Author Icon
trutiss
Nerfed

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/

try that one ,just make a profile searching the game`s exe file,then click on "tweaks" put vsync always on and check "lock frame rate to monitor refresh rate" and execute the game from raden pro

-------------------------

windows 7 x64/4770K@Stock,Asrock z87 Extreme6/Sapphire hd6970/Corsair 850 tx

03/06/2013 06:49 AM

Author Icon
Luzeryn
Peon

It didn't work. For whatever reason I can't launch the game from RadeonPro. I open it, the screen goes black and then it goes back to the desktop. I don't even get an error message.

Thank you for answering.

03/06/2013 12:33 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Some games will have a built-in frame limiter which will cause the game engine to attempt to meter the frame rate at the rate you set it.  Other games don't, and you'll have to use vsync or some other tool like D3DOverrider to work around it.

Vsync will lock your frame rate to the refresh rate of your display, in order to prevent tearing.  However, it will not insure that your frame rate will always stay at 60.  If your machine is getting worked hard enough to drop the frame rate below 60, then there's not much you can do about that aside from upgrading hardware.

If it's just the noise that's bugging you, then a better alternative might be just to get a third party heatsink for your card which doesn't make as much noise.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

04/17/2013 08:42 PM

Author Icon
johnmautari
Peon

Originally posted by: Luzeryn It didn't work. For whatever reason I can't launch the game from RadeonPro. I open it, the screen goes black and then it goes back to the desktop. I don't even get an error message.

Thank you for answering.

Which game are you trying to play?

RadeonPro Developer
Statistics
84691 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.