Topic Title: Turbo Core Frequency
Topic Summary: Does the turbo feature of my 1090T need to be overclocked along with the normal frequencies during overclocking?
Created On: 07/25/2013 04:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/25/2013 04:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dragonfly52277
Peon

Hi!  I have a Phenom II X6 1090T CPU.  My question is: if my overclocking gets my cores to a certain point, like 4.0 Ghz for example, how do I know how much to overclock the turbo frequencies?  What I am worried about is pushing the normal frequencies to their limit, and then not having enough room for the turbo feature to work properly without a crash.  I know that I can disable turbo overclocking, but I just wish that I knew how to go about maximizing the output of the turbo feature without making a crash.  Here is my guess:  clock the turbo at frequencies that my cores normally are stable at, like 4 Ghz, and then let the normal frequencies go considerably under the stable capabilities just so that I can get the turbo feature used to their maximum capability.  I hope that I am asking this question properly.  If I need to test the turbo frequencies isolated from the normal frequencies, is there a way to do this?  Does AMD Overdrive have a feature to do this?  I don't know much about how the turbo feature is integrated electronically into a CPU infrastructure.  Maybe someone can give me a little push in the right direction.  I want to be able to overclock both my turbo and normal frequencies at the same time.  What steps should I take?  How do I know when the turbo feature comes on and when it does, how can I test its frequency in a stress test independently of the pre-turbo frequencies?  I don't know what kind of a load I need to put the CPU on to engage the turbo feature.  Is there an article that someone knows of which talks about this?  I am so confused.  How are other 1090T owners overclocking knowing that the turbo core makes the frequencies rise and can crash the system when that happens?  It seems logical to me that when reaching the maximum stable overclock with turbo disabled will make the system crash when enabling the turbo afterwards raised quite a bit above the normal disengaged pre-turbo work load.  So is there a different standard with turbo?  Should I treat turbo like a different overclock feature that has to be raised on the multiplier and raised on the voltage until a stable build is reached?  My guess is yes.  If I reach max stable overclock with turbo disabled, I can then test the turbo frequencies much the same way as the normal frequencies were overclocked and reach a desireable max stable overclock that way.  It just confuses me because if I reach a max stable overclock without turbo, the turbo would seem to bring the system to a crash since it had already reached its max stable overclock before enabling the turbo, so using turbo at all would make the system crash as the CPU cannot perform at that level of the turbo frequency.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate responses.  It just seems like getting the cores to 4Ghz would disable turbo because the turbo frequencies bring the CPU up and beyond what the normal frequencies will allow under my stable overclock.

-------------------------

1090T CPU / Gigabyte AM3 GA-78LMT-S2P mobo/Samsung SSD 840 Series 250GB/GSkill DDR3 1866 GHz PC3 14900 8GB RAM/

Ryan Tegtmeier

07/25/2013 06:22 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

As a happy owner of a Phenom II X6 1090T...to be completely honest with you, I'd just leave Turbo Core off if you are overclocking.

1) Why would you want to have the Core clocked lower when Turbo Core it NOT active? For pure performance I'd rather have All 6-cores at 4.0GHz than 3.6GHz on all 6-Cores and 4GHz when 3-Cores are active.

2) Don't expect too much more past 4.0GHz overclock.

As far as I know...there is no real "tool"  or software to test for Turbo Core stability. I don't think Intel has anything for that either...

My 4.1GHz overclock is only SEMI stable. It runs tests like Prime95 fine, but isn't 100% game stable (i.e. BF3). I had 4GHz running stable for almost 3 years.

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

07/28/2013 11:44 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The only way that I can think of to test Turbo Core stability would be to manually overclock as far as you can go on stock voltage and still be stable, then set it back to normal and set the Turbo Core frequency to that, but then what's the point to using Turbo Core? You can use AMD Overdrive to force Turbo on all the time when you have an aftermarket cooler, but again what's the point if you're just going to overclock manually?

@ -rascal-: Have you tried upping your CPU VDDA?

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/01/2013 09:45 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: black_zion The only way that I can think of to test Turbo Core stability would be to manually overclock as far as you can go on stock voltage and still be stable, then set it back to normal and set the Turbo Core frequency to that, but then what's the point to using Turbo Core? You can use AMD Overdrive to force Turbo on all the time when you have an aftermarket cooler, but again what's the point if you're just going to overclock manually?

@ -rascal-: Have you tried upping your CPU VDDA?

Hey B_Z, sorry for the delayed reply. No I haven't tried increasing my CPU VDDA voltage.

Why would you suggest bumping up the CPU CDDA voltage?

I was told back in the day (when I first got my 1090T), not to mess with the CPU VDDA. Somebody from another computer forum (a moderator in fact) said he blew a caps by increasing up (I think he went up to 2.6V? or 2.7V before they blew). After seeing that, I've left the CPU VDDA at stock.

EDIT:

He said he took it up to 2.7V before he caps failed. He also said to keep it under 2.6V no matter what.

I guess bumping it up a little won't hurt.

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

08/01/2013 10:24 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I ran my CPU VDDA at 2.75v on my Crosshair IV and Phenom II x4 965 for over 3 years until I got this board and CPU last week (failed to POST after tweaking timings on new RAM chips, recovery options didn't work, new BIOS chip on order which will hopefully fix it so I can sell a working board). From what I read, upping the CPU VDDA has the effect of giving a slight voltage boost while under load to counter voltage droop. I know when I first upped mine I was able to drop from 1.475v to 1.41v on my 965 and have stability at 3.8ghz both in prime95 and real life loads (gaming, video encoding, etc...). The old forum post from another forum here. The Crosshair V isn't a regular run of the mill board and has some beefier components as you well know.

I wouldn't go past 2.75v myself, but I only tend to push things to the point of diminishing returns, not past it.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/02/2013 12:17 AM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

Hmm...I'll have a look into it; Thank B_Z

I'd be nuts if I could push it just a little bit more...maybe into the 4.2GHz or 4.3GHz range haha. Another reason to get a Corsair H80 or H100

Ohhhh fancy man with the 990FX Sabertooth eh? Rev 2.0 as well! Would be awesome if you can create a thread / log about your FX-8350 overclocking.

I've been holding off from getting myself an FX-8350 for a while now...but I might have to let myself free when I fly to the US next week (The huge Fry's store!!!)

08/02/2013 11:52 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You'll have to wait a few more months for that, I usually drop my overclocks in the summer and early fall because it gets so bloody hot here in the South. The heat index today is going to be about 105°F. But I do know that this one will go to 4.3ghz stable on stock voltage (not surprising since the turbo frequency is 4.2ghz), and my idle/web browsing temps (which are most likely incorrect) are reading 16°C with load temps around 35°C. I'm actually considering not setting it higher than 4.3ghz. At 1920x1200 my GPU will tap out before any combination of CPU cores hit 100% in all my games according to the AMD Overdrive and MSI Afterburner graphs. But who knows, when it gets nice and cold I'll start beefing up the voltage and see if it can get to 5ghz. Doubtful, but it would be interesting.

08/21/2013 08:55 AM

Author Icon
Mark@AMD
Peon

This video will explain AMD Turbo Core:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBhu4rRIA8

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/21/2013 05:22 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Hey Mark, see those links in liquidprinter's post? It means he is a spambot.

Statistics
87442 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.