Topic Title: Testing my FX 8350
Topic Summary: Looking for a reliable benchmark to test it's running correctly
Created On: 01/10/2014 06:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2014 06:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lwfsn
Peon

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to building my own pc.  I'm looking for some reliable benchmarks I can test my cpu with along with the ballpark that a normally functioning FX 8350, unmodded, should be in.

I want to do these tests because lately I've been having reason to suspect something's off.  For instance today I did a couple hours of music production in ableton and after I closed it I went to play Metal Gear Revengeance on steam and when I did it was really laggy, unlike the night before when it was very fast.  I then restarted my computer and just opened the game and it ran fine.

I'm not sure what is causing this but why would it happen?  Is memory getting eaten up and not being dumped after I close applications or is this a cpu issue or something I'm not even aware of?

I'm running Win7x64 and I have a Radeon 7970 along with 16GB of corsair ram at 1600Mhz.

So yah if you can recommend some reliable benchmarks to run just to rule out the cpu that would be awesome and if you have any insight other than that I'd be happy to hear it.  Thanks.

01/11/2014 04:27 AM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

you can use Passmark having a good comparison database

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core

-------------------------

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
1x SATA3 WD Blue / 1x SSHD ST1000DX001 / 1x STBV2000300
Seasonic 650W
Win7x64

01/11/2014 02:47 PM

Author Icon
lwfsn
Peon

Thanks dude!  I'll try it out and update.

01/27/2014 09:14 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

CPUs don't switch back and forth from laggy to normal but the O/S and RAM issues can cause these problems.

There is also a patch for Win 7 to improve the scheduling to all the cores as Win 7 is not optimized for FX processors. The patch is worth on average ~5% so it's not like it's a big deal but it might improve your situation. Read the info. before installing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/28/2014 11:36 PM

Author Icon
snardvark
Peon

Use "Prime95" to test the CPU part of your APU and use 3DMark to test the GPU portion. If you think somthing is eatting your memory try a memory cleaning utility such as "Free MemProXP" (still works good) to clear your memory and see if that helps.

Usefull utility's you might want:

CPU-Z: CPU and GPU and system info

GPU-Z: GPU and system info.

System Monitor: Info on MOBO,CPU,Fans, Voltages, etc...

Cortemp: Monitors APU core Temps. Go to their website and go to support. Click on the live chat and ask if anyone there can hook you up with a link to v. 1.0 RC7,' it works with the FX APU's. if not give v.1.0 RC5 a try.

Snard
Statistics
84704 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.