Topic Title: "No Signal" from my Philips HDTV with catalyst drivers
Topic Summary: After switching to an ati I am unable to use my hdtv as my display, as I was previously doing with a nvidia card.
Created On: 03/19/2010 06:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2010 06:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mkeygmer
n00b

Today my nvidia 8800gt appears to have died so I ordered an ATI 5770 card, and since it won't get here till at least Monday, I decided to use an old ATI HD 2400 PRO card I had in a spare computer while I wait.

This is where my problem begins =]. The HD 2400 pro works fine with my spare 17" lcd monitor, but gets absolutely no signal with my 32" 1080p philips hdtv (which I have been using as my primary display with the 8800gt). The TV had worked fine with my nvidia card and was detected instantly with the nvidia control panel, without any hassels.

I am worried that this problem will still be present when I install the 5770, and if I can't resolve it, I basically won't be able to use the card, since I use the hdtv as my main display. I'm assuming there is a conflict between the catalyst drivers and my particular phillips tv, having googled "hdtv no signal ati", I found numerous posts around the internet pointing out problems with phillips on ati cards (among other brands of tvs), but none of the posts had any resolution. With Philips being a somewhat recognizable brand I would assume there would be more people with this issue, but I was unable to find a solution. The TV works fine, with any nvidia card I try.

Here's some things I've tried/some details about the issue.

-Turning everything off and connecting the hdtv (via hdmi->dvi cable) to the dvi port on the video card (no monitor connected). This resulted in the boot images showing up (I can get in to the BIOS etc, works fine on the monitor). It gets to the "Starting Windows" screen then goes to the No Signal screen as windows boots and the drivers are loaded. I am unable to see anything on my display.

-Booting up with a 17" lcd monitor plugged into the VGA port, along with the hdtv plugged into the dvi port. This results in both displays showing the boot information/bios etc. However, I am able to get in to windows on the 17", at which point the 32" gets no signal.

-Using the 17" as the primary display I went in to CCC->Desktops and Displays (I have enabled force showing tv etc) But the TV is still not shown as a display.

-Weird issue observed here: If I change the source on the hdtv to HDMI Port 2 (I have 4 ports) and plug the HDMI cable in to Port 1 (unplug then plug back in), I see my display on the list but I am still unable to change any settings and still receive no signal. I am able to set the hdtv as my main display at this point, but this still results in no signal (the 17" is turned into a seconday display showing no desktop icons etc, until I unplug the 32"). When I change the source back to hdmi port 1, my display disappears from the list. I have tried every combination of hdmi ports, but none of them worked. It's odd that the only way I can get CCC to recognize the TV is to plug it in to an "inactive" port (one I am not using as the source on the tv).

-I've tried unplugging and replugging just about everything I can imagine.

-My hdtv is advertised as 120hz, but it ran as 60hz with my nvidia card (im assuming it isn't true 120hz, just "simulated" while watching tv). My 17" is running at 60hz.

-Remember using this hdtv as a display was nearly plug-and-play with my 8800gt (nvidia drivers).

-I also tried to get the hdtv to work with my brothers computer (he uses an ati card, 4670, so it is a more recent card), but I couldn't get it to work with that either.

Some more info:
Phillips 32" hdtv model number: 32PFL670FD/F7 (1920x1080 native)
The 17" runs at 1280x1024.
Drivers attempted: 10.3 beta, 10.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated =].

UPDATE: The display began to work for a short while, I had unplugged both the 17" lcd and the 32" hdtv (for the 50th time ;]) and the 32" worked after being plugged back in. However, once I restarted my computer it began displaying "no signal" again. I haven't been able to get it to work again.

08/24/2010 12:43 PM

Author Icon
flaviorst
n00b

Hello Mkeygmer,
I saw your post today and I am having the same problem. You got the solution?
I'm desperate for it.

Thanks

08/24/2010 01:23 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Originally posted by: flaviorst

Hello Mkeygmer, I saw your post today and I am having the same problem. You got the solution? I'm desperate for it. Thanks

.. and have either of you contacted Philips about the issue and/or left a message to the Catalyst guys via the FeedBack links ?? I did say to do  that in your original post flavio ..

-------------------------
AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 08/31/2010 11:46 AM

Author Icon
Fogel
n00b

Wondering how long more we need to wait for ati solve this, this situation is ridiculous. 

08/31/2010 12:43 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Probably until people actually send in a reports to the Catalyst Crew about the issue and also contact Philips about it too .. if neither parties know about a specific issue, then how do you expect them to start fixing it ??? ??? ???

AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 09/01/2010 12:39 PM

Author Icon
Darvad
n00b

This is not a ati issue. I have been a cable installer for many years now. as well as owning a philips 42" tv. I have seen the issue on a Nvidia 9500gt as well as Ati and on cable boxes I have installed. I had the issue that it would goto black for a few seconds and then come back to the screen. it would do this randomly. I have updated firmware on the TV. This is not a ATI or Nvidia Issue. this is something with Philips. I have worked for Directtv as well as comcast and have seen the exact same issue on customer's TV's.

09/07/2010 09:25 PM

Author Icon
flaviorst
n00b

I spoke with technical support from Philips and not yet received responses.
 09/07/2010 09:25 PM

Author Icon
flaviorst
n00b

I spoke with technical support from Philips and not yet received responses.
 09/14/2010 10:09 AM

Author Icon
Joselito
n00b

Same here. It's definilety ATI issue, i move to ubuntu and with the default driver works like a charm, when I install catalyst, problem returns. I alredy bought a new nvidia card, kinda lost my patience ,until now, no problem at all. I hope someday AMD fix it...

09/14/2010 05:48 PM

Author Icon
dragoonadept
n00b

My 32" Panasonic does this too but it's hardly an issue. I just press Winkey+P and change to a single display, then back to Extended desktops and it gets a signal just fine.

09/19/2010 11:52 AM

Author Icon
Matt@Work
n00b

I have been following this topic for six months hoping for a fix.  Last week, after trying everything I read on this forum, I resolved my PC to 52" Philips LCD HDTV problem. 

For those who can see the BIOS on their HDTV - is it crystal clear 1080p or some other high resolution?  if not it is a cable problem.  My BIOS on HDTV was crappy.  To test cable I used my Blu-Ray to plug where PC was and No Signal.  It turns out that it was an intermittent HDMI wall plate.  Replaced plate and everything works great.  BIOS and all in 1080p.

It had previously worked so it took me this long to retest cable.  My PC to HDTV is via 5', wall plate ,50', wallplate, 5' = total 60' cable.

Hopes this helps someone.

Matt in Mico, TX

Win7x64 ultimate, Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, AMD Phenom II x4 955BE, OCZ 4 GB 1600 , ATI Radeon 4890 OC 1GB running 10.8 ATI drivers, Philips 52" LCD HDTV from Sam's Club, cables from monocable.

04/25/2011 11:10 AM

Author Icon
wewehello
n00b

This is a AMD/ATI Problem because if you install linux or even run a live cd of linux the tv's are detected and work with no issues 

05/16/2011 05:15 PM

Author Icon
ykikii
n00b

42" Phillips LCD TV & Dell Studio 15 Win 7 4570 ATI graphics notebook. For 16 months unable to connnect unless operating in Linux. No matter how many updates I tried. Until I just discovered the ASUS WiCast wireless HDMI system. It works like a charm. Full 1080p wireless. And guess what? I just bought it from Dell. At least they did something right for a change.

05/17/2011 08:52 PM

Author Icon
pseudo

Did you ever update the TVs firmware? Philips offers various free services for its devices. I updated my Philips TV several times and have no problem with my ATI/AMD graphic cards. In the past some HDMI issues were solved by new updates.

http://www.sysprofile.de/id32387

05/18/2011 03:41 PM

Author Icon
galneon

This problem has been around since drivers 11.1a and 11.2 and everything since and affects both HDMI and DVI.  AMD admitted it's a bug in another thread, but has yet to fix it.  It's a display detection problem in the display driver, not a problem with CCC or your display itself.  Don't let others tell you it's your TV.  While it only affects certain displays (including many brands other than Phillips), these all work perfectly fine on older drivers. I suggest 10.12 or 11.1 until they FINALLY fix this sometime in 2012.

If you're really desperate, VGA output still works on newer drivers.

In conclusion, this is absolutely a display driver bug and needs to be fixed.  Don't blame your display.

Another thread on this old, persistent problem: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=147040&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Edited: 05/18/2011 at 03:47 PM by galneon
 05/19/2011 08:10 AM

Author Icon
pseudo

Originally posted by: galneonIn conclusion, this is absolutely a display driver bug and needs to be fixed.  Don't blame your display.

Thats no conclusion but more a proposition. The changelog for my Philips TV is full with fixed errors for HDMI input. This should be the same for his device. In fact even google is finding nothing with the indicated model number. So I couldn't look for it.

If this would be a driver issue, why it works for so many other people?

http://www.sysprofile.de/id32387

05/20/2011 03:24 PM

Author Icon
galneon

It's not just the Philips display, it's many displays.  This problem has been confirmed on Sonys as well as LGs.  Something changed with display detection post 11.1a/11.2, and this drastically decreased display compatibility.  Scroll through this forum.  You will find MANY people without your particular TV suffering from this problem, and they all had perfect compatibility with 11.1/10.12 and every driver before it, as did I.  In the thread I linked, one poster says AMD tech support acknowledged it's a driver bug.  Everything points to driver bug.

TV firmware doesn't retroactively become broken.  New display drivers, on the other hand, often break things inadvertently.  It's just a matter of time (who knows how long) before AMD fixes what they broke.

From the thread I linked if you didn't feel like reading it:

"I talked to AMD again, and they said it indeed is a driver bug and they will report it to the Catalyst driver team. They also said for others to leave feedback for the catalyst crew here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

from AMD
----------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Yes, this does appear to be a driver bug related issue. We will pass this to the catalyst crew
driver team. We also suggest you and other provide feedback also. Here's the link for the
catalyst crew feedback.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

Note: If AMD does not get a response back from you in 10 days, the ticket will be closed, and
you will need to open a new ticket if you issue is not yet resolved.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care"

I've just reported this problem once again.  I do this monthly and suggest everyone with affected displays do the same.

Edited: 05/20/2011 at 03:37 PM by galneon
 01/12/2012 06:07 PM

Author Icon
Dudinski
n00b

Hey,

Did anyone ever get a resolution to this problem?  I am trying to connect my Zenith Z37LZ5D LCD tv to my ATI Radeon HD 4200 via HDMI.  I know there's nothing wrong with the cable.  The computer recognizes the tv (reports the correct tv model number under displays), but my tv just shows "no signal".  Doing some searching, it seems like a lot of people have this problem and I hope a resolution's been found by now. 

UPDATE:  I was able to see a small sign of life from the tv, but then it returned to "no signal".  If I unplug the monitor and turn the computer on with only the tv connected (and on), the windows startup shows up on the tv, but after that, it just goes back to "no signal".  Also, the colors on the windows startup look off on the tv.  They are a reddish hue.

Edited: 01/12/2012 at 06:19 PM by Dudinski
 01/27/2012 07:31 AM

Author Icon
jusk
n00b

Hello, 

I'd just like to bump this thread, and add my own similar experience of this problem. 

I've got an old-ish machine which I use as a HTPC/media centre. Until recently, this consisted of an old Nvidia card, running Win 7 32bit which worked fine with my Philips 42" Flat TV, connected via DVI out to HDMI, using a 2m HMDI cable with a DVI-HDMI adapter. 

The TV was also previously hooked up my main machine occasionally, in order to play games on the big screen. This PC had an ASUS P5QC motherboard, Win 7 64bit, and a Radeon HD 4870. This also worked without a problem, and without any need for fiddling settings in CCC, etc. 

Recently I upgraded my main machine, and tranfered the guts of the old one into the HTPC machine. I did a fresh install of Win 7 (64bit this time) on the HTPC, and installed the latest CCC drivers, etc (note - this is essentially the same system as mentioned above - P5QV, HD4870). Unfortunately the TV is not detected at all now. There is no signal using either HDMI input, and either DVI output - I tried two different HDMI cables, etc. Both DVI outputs work fine with my Samsung monitor. The TV is not detected at all, regardless of whether I have the monitor connected or not. The picture on the monitor flickers if I turn on or off the TV when they are both connected, but the TV is not detected in the Win 7 display settings, or in CCC. 

I've tried messing around with some of the settings in CCC - such as force detect TV, etc, but to no avail. Tried turning things on and off and unplugging/replugging in various orders, but to no avail. 

As suggested here, I tried some different versions of the drivers. I've tried 11.1, 11.11 and 12.1. I've also tried with the default Win 7 drivers (i.e. uninstall all drivers & CCC). No joy. 

Two odd things - the TV was detected momentarily as "Philips TV" once - for no apparent reason, but soon disappeared again, and no picture appeared on it. Also, I connected it to another TV (Also a Philips Flat TV unfortunately - just smaller) - and got basically the same results - except once, again randomly, the post screen showed up briefly, before the signal was lost again. 

I'm running out of things to try. 

Has anyone had any success with a specific driver? This hardware setup worked previously, but unfortunately I do not know which drivers I was using at the time (6 months /a year ago). I'm going to keep trying random versions, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. 

Also - any comment from AMD? Any chance of this being resolved in an upcoming driver release? Seems like quite a common problem, just looking around these forums and others. 

Cheers

Edited: 01/27/2012 at 07:42 AM by jusk
 01/28/2012 09:36 AM

Author Icon
jusk
n00b

Some more information:

I can connect my main machine (which has a Radeon HD 6950) to the same TV with the same cables, and using same CCC drivers (12.1) without any problem.

The Philips TV is detected as a "DDC TV" in CCC.

So I can only guess that it must be something do to with the combination of using a HD 4870 and certain driver releases. Going to try a few more older drivers today.

Statistics
85472 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.