Topic Title: AMD Catalyst Will Not Install
Topic Summary: Having significant issues updating my 6770M
Created On: 11/23/2011 02:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2011 02:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Askar
n00b

I need some serious help with this. Since I purchased this machine, I've been unable to update my drivers. This has led to my inability to play most current games, as my drivers are too far out of date.

Essentially, the Catalyst program seems to think I do not have a Radeon HD 6700M series card installed. My control panel also does not list this card, it says "Onboard Intel Graphics". However, I have confirmed with the publisher of this machine that there is indeed a 6770M installed, and several third party GPU detection programs have also confirmed it. AMD's own Auto-Detect feature points me to the 6700M series drivers.

Attempting to install results in a successful install up until the very end, where I'm told Catalyst cannot install due to incompatible hardware/software.

I'm running a Radeon HD 6770M on a prebuilt Pavilion dv7 Notebook with Windows 7 64-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've posted this here before a few months ago and got no responses, and I've tried a dozen other forums with no help. Yes, I'm certain I'm downloading the right driver. I'd love anyone forever who can solve this problem for me, I just got this machine a few months ago but it's already outdated simply because I cannot upgrade my drivers.

11/30/2011 11:23 AM

Author Icon
kirche
n00b

Same here, I have a mobility 5650 installed on my laptop and was able to update my drivers up to 11.8. Haven't been updating since then and yesterday picked up some news about the new driver 11.11 and tried to install.

However, the CIM didn't detect my card and there was no option to install the new driver. I tried to uninstall the driver and the terrible thing happen. Having the drivers uninstalled I still couldn't get the new driver updated. The bad thing is, I can't even update to the drivers I have stored on my download folders (from 8.6 to 11.8). Now all I have is the driver which comes along with my windows which dated around Jan 2010.

Besides, I've noticed that I was unable to start CCC for several months. I've been a long time user for AMD/ATI products, and I would say I'm really disappointed by the recent drivers.

11/30/2011 11:54 AM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Well, if people did actually read release notes and KB article pages, then they'd know about drivers and who's responsible for updating them and why the CIM Utility doesn't work on certain machines !!! !!! !! !!!

Here, for future reference, I suggest that you read the following ( freely available ) notes on Mobility GPUs :

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

.. and from the release notes Read Me file :

AMD Mobility Product Family Compatibility

AMD Catalyst™ Mobility is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features. When used with Windows Vista or Windows 7, users may have unwanted experiences.

The Installation Verification Software will prevent driver download on certain notebook products. This is to protect against the installing of drivers that may disable features or functionality provided by the system manufacturer. If unwanted experiences occur while using Catalyst Mobility, it is recommended to revert back to the driver provided by your system vendor for your specific platform. Please contact your system vendor for the most recent drivers for your notebook.

The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

• Any notebook launched after this driver release
  • Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel® chipsets.
  • Toshiba notebooks® (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
  • Sony® VAIO® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
  •  Panasonic® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

If people also took the time to search for threads, then you'd have also found several threads with fixes for CCC not opening .. such as THIS :

1. Download the WICU.

2. Uninstall everything related to ATI/AMD.

Control Panel -->> Services -->> AMD External Events Utility -->> Disable / Stop Service ..

Command Prompt with elevated permissions --> sc delete "AMD External Events Utility" ..

Reboot ..

3. Launch WICU and delete anything related to ATI/AMD/CCC.

4. Delete all ATI/AMD folders in "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)".

5. While UAC is turned off (Vista/7 only) navigate to the "C:\Windows\Assembly" folder and delete any assemblies which have the public token key "90ba9c70f846762e". It is possible that you won't find any, but check it.

5. Reboot.

6. Install the Catalyst package again.

.. can't blame AMD for NOOB errors or the fact that most laptop manufacturers have locked AMD out of offering support for the majority of their machines !

If none of that works or you still have issues, then contact whoever made the machine, it's their tech, they should be offering support to their customers !!

-------------------------
AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 12/01/2011 01:35 AM

Author Icon
kirche
n00b

Have finally installed the driver last night successfully, think Askar can give it a try.

First, I uninstalled the CIM using a 3rd party uninstaller (i.e. Revo Uninstaller), It will launch the original unistaller and select express uninstall all when prompt, then Revo can scan for the left behinds on my computer.

Then, look at C:\, C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\ for the ATI related folders, simply delete or rename (like ATI_OLD) them can do. After that, I also unistalled the card on the device manager (ticked the box to remove the driver as well).

Then reboot the machine, the next time you boot up your display card would probably labelled as "Standard VGA Adapter". Download the driver from here, just run the install as usual and it should be able to detect the card.

If the above don't work for you, you can also try to install the driver manually. Do the above steps, cancel the installation of CCC after extraction (better extract it onto the desktop instead of C:\ for ease of searching), open the display card and update the driver, choose have disk and point to the extracted folder. The INF file should be found under "\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMICE\LH64a".

Hope you can solve it as soon as possible.

To Gr33nGecko, as I've mentioned I've been installing the drivers as usual before the lastest attempt. I'm using a Sony notebook and all sony is providing is actually the same driver package from ATI. I can see your point but it's not only a matter on notebooks, searching on the web you can see there many people get stuck installing drivers on desktop or some others cannot have the CCC started.

Like I said, my machine couldn't open the CCC since last update (11.6) and shows an error meessage upon login. It is absolutely annoying, and I can't see that it is not any problem of ATI.

12/01/2011 02:37 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

You can install the mobility Mod drivers here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-11.11b-Perf-Driver-download-2818.html#download (save) and download DriverSweeper here

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/ (save)

Remove old drivers ..computer control panel > uninstall a program > express uninstall all AMD software including install manager > reboot > run driversweeper..select AMD display..delete all it finds > reboot. Install the 11.11b suite > reboot. You should be good to go.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/01/2011 05:05 AM

Author Icon
kirche
n00b

Tried Driver Sweeper and it even removed the original driver that comes along Windows 7, that renderred the machine cannot have the driver restored properly and in my case, the problem of device undetected by the CIM still in place. I had to use the recovery software by Sony to reinstall the original driver in that case.

(EDITED) The problem is using the update driver option under device manager and chose automatically update, windows will try to install the driver but ended up having error code 19 (not sure if I remember this correctly), which states that some files of the driver was missing.

Edited: 12/01/2011 at 10:18 AM by kirche
 12/01/2011 08:42 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Oooops...my bad. I didn't see the word "Sony". If you want any kind of update at all, you will have to get it from Sony. That is the agreement AMD has with them....Sony ELECTED to not allow driver updates from anyone but them. Your only other choice is using a modded driver.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

12/01/2011 10:13 AM

Author Icon
kirche
n00b

But actually I'm now using the 11.11 WHQL downloaded directly from ATI.com

12/01/2011 10:41 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: kirche But actually I'm now using the 11.11 WHQL downloaded directly from ATI.com

Well then....what is your major ***** problem?

Statistics
84308 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.