Topic Title: HD6970 convinced it's a HD4200
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/24/2011 04:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/24/2011 04:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
IPYF
n00b

Hey all. Look I'm new here and I just need help.

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my old 5770 to a 2gb powercolor 6970. I got the card and I'm having some strange installation problems. Namely; the card wont work.

Firstly I can hear the card running. It's the loudest thing I ever heard but I know it's powered ok.

I uninstalled my old drivers and ran the install from the cd as instructed. I then put the card in, plugged in and powered up. Strangely I got no picture from the card inputs but I got picture from my motherboard's VGA slot. I thought that was weird but when I started up the computer installed drivers and I thought everything was fine until I went to check them. According to my display properties Im running a 700mb 4200.

I've done a reinstall. It didnt work. This feels like a driver issue but I've upgraded cards before without having trouble. I really don't want to have to reformat. Can someone suggest a course of action?

So to sum it up the card thinks its a 4200 and I'm getting no picture from the outputs on the card itself.

Im running a AMD 3.3g Dual Core with 4gb of ram with XP 32bit. Really need some help here or the card has to go back to the store.

11/24/2011 04:43 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I had the exact problem myself...except I didn't have a onboard vga. I had to use a x800xtx to get a screen. After many hours of trial, error, and google...here's what I had to do. Download the 11.11a suite and save it. Download Driversweeper  http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/ and save. Remove the card (just use your onboard controller). Remove (express uninstall) amd install manager using 'remove a program' in computer control panel. Reboot. Run DriverSweeper..select AMD display and delete all it finds. Reboot.....but, hit F2 and get into the bios. In bios go to exit and select 'apply optimized defaults'. Save..exit..and shut down computer. Install the 6970 card. Start computer and install the 11.11a suite. Reboot. All should be well. Note: you will have to set the correct date and time.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/24/2011 05:36 AM

Author Icon
IPYF
n00b

Thanks for your help mate but it failed to work.

I plugged my old 5770 back in and it worked immediately. Im going to have to go back to the shop and angle for a refund.

Statistics
85416 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.