I found a way to playback .VCR files in Windows 7.
1. Download and install the latest Media Player Classic Home Cinema from http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
2. Launch the app and open the Options Page (View -> Options)
3. Click on “External Filters”
4. Click “Add Filter…”
5. Choose “ATI MPEG Video Decoder” from the list and click OK. If this option is not visible, see tips below.
6. Click on “ATI MPEG Video Decoder” in the External Filters list and make sure the checkbox is enabled
7. Click on “Prefer” (below the Remove button)
8. Click OK to close the Options box
9. Shutdown the application and relaunch it
10. Try to playback the file.
- The AMD Media Codec Package must be installed for the ATI MPEG Video Decoder to show up. It can be downloaded here:
- If the option still doesn't show up in MPC, you can browse for the DLL. After you click "Add Filter" you will be in the "Select Filter" window. From here, click the "Browse" button and search for the "atimpeng.dll" file. This is usually in the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia. The ATI MPEG Video Decoder should show up after this.