Topic Title: HD 5750 long term crash issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2011 10:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2011 10:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hecksa
n00b

Hi,

I've been having issues with my ATI Radeon HD 5750 from the day I bought this PC, almost a year ago now. I've always kind of accepted it as the crashes generally happen rarely enough and finding a solution was tricky enough that I never really could be bothered to spend the time fixing it. Well, about ten months in I've finally had enough.

I'm not coming off the back of no work - at several times I've had a few stabs at fixing the problem myself. The first time I googled the problems I saw all sorts of similar issues on 5700s and other Radeon Cards and saw that there was a driver update that allegedly fixed the issue. I tried, and it didn't. We're now several major versions of CCC + Drivers on from that hot fix, and still in the same boat. I also tried playing around with Overdrive profiles as instructed by another site that popped up on google, but this was hopeless too. Either that, or I didn't figure out the correct settings for my card, which may also be the case. Either way, I shouldn't really have to setup a special overdrive profile to get my card working properly. Obviously I've also tried every variation of settings in CCC that I can think of.

All this writing, and I've still not listed specs or explained the actual issue. The issue is similar to all the other threads of this type you've seen. Occasionally when doing something pretty intensive (generally games but it has happened when switching windows and such with aero on) the display will freeze up. The cursor will, oddly, remain moveable on screen at this point, until after a few seconds it freezes too, then the whole screen goes black, after a few seconds more changes to a random colour, then pops back to life and is working correctly again. The whole process takes about 20 seconds or so.

There are a few variants, though. Sometimes after going black, instead of showing the random colour and then returning to functionality, the display goes into power saving mode. At this point, the card will sometimes come back on within 5 seconds, sometimes unplugging the screen from the machine and plugging it back in fixes the problem, and sometimes nothing helps and I have to reboot. Finally, on occasion the card will just spontaneously come up with the grey+black vertical lines that I've seen mentioned quite a lot, without warning. Very rarely it simply goes black. At this point all I can do is restart.

Basic System Specs that I figured would be useful are as below - it's a yoyotech warbird i650cs. If you need any other information please ask and I'll try to find out.

Motherboard - ASUS P7P550 LE

CPU - Intel Core i5 650

RAM - 4096 Mb

Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 5750

PSU - Recom pro Engine A500

Has anyone got any ideas of what may be causing this?

Edited: 12/10/2011 at 10:58 AM by Hecksa
Statistics
87644 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.