Topic Title: "Operation Not Supported" Error setting up 3 monitor setup
Topic Summary: I'm getting this error when attemping to setup my 3 monitors for the first time
Created On: 12/27/2011 08:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/27/2011 08:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Savarn
n00b

I've been looking around the net but I can't seem to find any solution to this error.  I've looked at many setup videos and guides but nothing seems to tell me what to do if this happens.  The error states the following:

Operation Not Supported

Duplication of displays over multiple graphics processors is not supported.

I have a Radeon HD 6970 and the monitors are Samsung SyncMaster BX2450's, each one using HDMI connections.  I have one connected to the HDMI port, one connected to the Mini Display Port with an adapter and another using a HDMI to DVI cable.  The monitors also have an RGB port but I thought it'd be better to use the HDMI Ports they have.

I've also tried re-installing the drivers and I have the latest drivers from AMD (11.12).

Any help is appreciated.

12/28/2011 04:47 AM

Author Icon
AndreyPopov

you need ACTIVE mDP-DVI adapter + DVI->HDMI cable

DP->HDMI or mDP->HDMI adapters not exist!
 12/29/2011 02:46 PM

Author Icon
Savarn
n00b

It seems they do, cause I bought one and because they're on the list that AMD supply as validated dongles ... I just needed to find out what ACTIVE meant, seems it just means that it's setup to use Eyefinity.

Why couldn't they just say that.  And why do you NEED an active on if they state on this (http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx) website "Adapts:  Mini DisplayPort™   To:  HDMI Passive" on the list.

So they exist but they just can't be used for a third monitor?  Why did they put those passive ones on the list then if they can't be used for the third one?

12/29/2011 02:56 PM

Author Icon
AndreyPopov

Originally posted by: Savarn

So they exist but they just can't be used for a third monitor?  Why did they put those passive ones on the list then if they can't be used for the third one?

because, for example, on HD6870 Eyefinity 6 Edition videocard you can use TWO passive adapters.

12/29/2011 09:03 PM

Author Icon
Savarn
n00b

I'm sorry, you're not explaining yourself very well.  Can you explain it so that people who have no idea what passive and active adapters are can understand?

12/30/2011 11:18 AM

Author Icon
AndreyPopov

http://support.amd.com/us/eyef...yefinity-dongles.aspx

A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a "passive" DisplayPorttm adapter/dongle. "Passive" adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.

first part of sentense for you: A maximum of 2 legacy monitors is connected either directly or via a "passive" DisplayPorttm adapter/dongle.

second part for Eyefinity 6: "Passive" adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
Statistics
85424 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.