Topic Title: XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 Issues
Topic Summary: Screen Tearing, Blue/Green/red dots, Random Crashing
Created On: 12/30/2011 08:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2011 08:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Prodigyy11
n00b

Hello everyone!

So I've recently been having an issue with my computer that I suspect to be caused by my video card.  It only started happening about a month or so ago (built the computer 5 months ago).  Whenever I first enter a game, be it Eve Online or World of Warcraft, there is MAJOR screen tearing.  It persists for about a minute then slowly fades away until I have almost perfect display again and doesn't occur a second time until I restart the games. 

I also have random blue dots that rapidly appear and disappear on random pictures I'm viewing on the internet, on my desktop, and sometimes when I first enter games too.  They are the worst when I first enter games as well. 

The final issue I'm facing is that, while playing games, my display randomly crashes and my moniter turns off, my backlit keyboard's lights go out, but my computer remains on and I can only shut it off my turning the powersupply off then on again directly. 

My PC's specs are:

XFX PRO550W Core Edition Full Wired 80+Bronze PSU

LG 24X DVDRW SATA OEM

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIe, Dual DVI & HDMI

WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G

MSI 890FXA-GD65 AMD 890FX Socket AM3 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 4GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz

Cooler Master Hyper N520 Copper Heatpipe CPU Coole

My temps are all rather normal except for the TMPIN1 reading in HW moniter with a temperature of 64 degrees celcius.

My video card generally maxes out at about 50 degrees celcius ender max load at 50% fan.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the most current drivers.  A noteworthy thing about the uninstallation of drivers is when I wiped my system of all ati drivers, the display was almost unusable and discolored and I could barely reinstall them because I couldn't see what I was doing.  

I'm out of ideas and want some final input before seeing if my warranty is still up and/or buying new parts.

Thanks!

12/30/2011 09:47 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

XFX = lifetime warranty, so have a word with their tech dept. maybe they'll be able to do something for you ..

If your system DDR checks out after thorough testing with MemTest86+ 4.2 ( module in each DIMM for several runs, then all modules etc til you've tested every combo of module/DIMM slot ), and all your other hardware / software environment checks out working / non glitchy, then I'd ask them to swap the card over.

Oh, AFAIK, TMPIN1 is either the CPU socket or MOSFET on mainboard temps .. if it's the CPU socket, it might be a bit high, I can't remember the max for that at the moment ..

-------------------------
AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 12/30/2011 10:06 PM

Author Icon
Prodigyy11
n00b

Thanks for the information.  Any software environment checks you suggest?

Does this sound like an issue with the PSU at all?

12/30/2011 10:28 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Unless it's faulty, then nah, it has more than enough for that rig & VGA card .. and AFAIK it's a Seasonic built unit too, so a great lil unit really ..

XFX Core Edition 550W - 44A @ 12v ..
HD6870 TDP MAX under load - 150W / 12.5A
CPU TDP - 125W / 10.5A

.. that's 23A from the available 44A, and I can't see anything you listed which would then use up the remaining 21A ..

Give your system DDR a workout using that MemTest utility ( needs a bootable pendrive or CD / floppy to use it ) .. see what that reports.

If everything checks out as OK, then ask XFX for advice or a straight RMA to exchange the card.

A good way to test a Windows environment would be to start with a fresh unadulterated install with just Windows & all SP and updates ( but NOT the ATI driver update it'll download and install if you set it to Auto d/load and install updates - that will mess things up if Catalyst is installed ) .. then mainboard chipset drivers, soundcard drivers, VGA card drivers and then a game or two for testing .. If you still see the artifacts etc, and your system DDR passes the tests ( and the mainboard's BIOS is set up correctly for voltages, timings, CPU voltage and settings, and other stuff etc ) and everything else is working A-OK, then it's a duff card by all accounts ..

-------------------------
AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 12/31/2011 02:09 AM

Author Icon
Prodigyy11
n00b

Thanks much.

One more question.

Can a bad video card really cause my backlit keyboard's lights to go out and require a hard reboot of my PC when the display crashes?

Statistics
84716 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.