Topic Title: 12.2 ccc not starting with windows 7
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/09/2012 03:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2012 12:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
k-9
Cookie Monster

just out of curiosity, you might trying to install 12.2 over 12.1 (do not uninstall 12.1 ( let install package control it)).

it seemed to have work for me

-------------------------

motherboard gigabyte: ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios F8h , amd 965 cpu at 4.0 , sileneX efz-120ha4 cooler, 8 gig patriot pgs34g1600llka memory, xfx 750w power supply, xfx 6970 graphics card, 3-22"1080p monitors , coolermaster HAF 922case, windows 7-64

03/11/2012 02:40 PM

Author Icon
Shadowmill

Yes i try... 3 times.

In the 4 time i unistall the 12.1 and install 12.2.

03/12/2012 06:55 PM

Author Icon
k-9
Cookie Monster

sorry to hear that shadowmill, thought i was on to something.

motherboard gigabyte: ga-ma790fxt-ud5p bios F8h , amd 965 cpu at 4.0 , sileneX efz-120ha4 cooler, 8 gig patriot pgs34g1600llka memory, xfx 750w power supply, xfx 6970 graphics card, 3-22"1080p monitors , coolermaster HAF 922case, windows 7-64

03/14/2012 03:41 PM

Author Icon
Okys
n00b

Having exactly the same problem here with 12.2. Running (almost) freshly installed Windows 7 (64bit). System specs are:  Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 mobo, i2500k cpu, and HD 3870 single gpu. Drivers for integrated GPU arent installed. So, yesterday i experienced some distant object (NPC) texture flickering problems in Syndicate (2012) game and came here, to get newest drivers. Before that, i had 12.1. Then, without any " driver sweeping", i installed 12.2 Catalyst as i always do and never run into any problems. This time it was different. Problem in game was still the same + another problem as described here. Only thing that is showing up at Task Manager immediatelly after restart, seems to be CLIStart.exe. I need to wait at least 5 minutes, for CCC.exe to start up. If i right-click Catalyst icon in Taskbar while CCC.exe isnt loaded yet, the only option i get is Catalyst Control Center.. If i click it, then Catalyst Control Center opens, but takes much more time to start up, as usualy  would. After its opened manually and closed and icon clicked again, it starts showing all the other lines, like Help.., About, etc. So, while its not fixed, i prefer to use 12.1. At the beginning i thought 12.2 doesnt support my old HD3870 anymore, but here i see that, others are having similar problems.

P.S. Talking about Syndicate.. I found out, that flickering dissapears, while i record my game, using Fraps 3.4.7, and immediatelly comes back, after i stop recording. Strange..

Edited: 03/14/2012 at 06:03 PM by Okys
 03/15/2012 02:22 AM

Author Icon
usmcveteran

i am having same problem when i install 12.2 ccc i can turn on crossfire but it wont let me choose all 3 of my cards. i can only have one going. i then tried to go back to 12.1 and when i install i get the same problem as i did with 12.2 and i didnt have that problem before i went to 12.2.

03/15/2012 04:22 AM

Author Icon
markshim
Master Looter

make sure the 12.2 driver hasn`t left behind the AODdriver4.1 in the device manager, because 12.1 driver uses the AODdriver4.01. if it has left behind the AODdriver4.1 then uninstall it and you will then need to go to regedit to look for the AODdriver4.1 folders and delete them then reboot. or use ATIman uninstaller which will uninstall everything to do with amd for you.

if this isn`t the case then the 12.2 driver is leaving behind something, so i would express uninstall the driver again and use something like ccleaner to clean the registry, or again use ATIman uninstaller then install 12.1 again.

Windows 7 64bit, M4A79T-Duluxe, Phenom 2 X4 965, Corsair H50 Watercooler with 2 120mm Gentle Tyhpoon Fans Push/Pull, Asus 5870, DDR3 4gb ram, Silent Pro M 1000w power supply, LG M227WD monitor, Case: Antec 1200.

03/16/2012 01:22 AM

Author Icon
usmcveteran

i tried atiman v6.3.1 and i reinstalled 12.1. i open the control center click on amd crossfire and it still dont display so i can turn on all my graphics cards

03/25/2012 03:38 PM

Author Icon
bo122081
n00b

I got a message from CCC 12.1 that 12.2 was available and it could download and install it for me. I let it. Now my vision center doesn't open anymore.

I checked, as first it was just Clistart.exe hanging like people suggested...but then it eventually went away and no just nothing happens. MOM and CCC start and immediately close, sometimes CLI comes up for a moment, but immediate closes, and I just tried it again and Explorer crashed.

Why is it that every time AMD updates anything regarding Catalyst they break the whole damn thing? And it's not just me. Anytime they push an update out, I can just google "CCC" and get at least a dozen results related to how the new update doesn't work, broke someone's computer, or made people have to restart windows.

And then the solutions are always the same:

Reinstall windows

Uninstall ALL AMD products, download 3rd party tools to then fish around for the crap AMD's uninstaller doesn't get, then restart, reinstall, and that might not even work

Pray to god it works inexplicably.

I switched to AMD because between me, my brother and a friend of ours the last like, 6 Nvidia cards we bought burned out within 6mos of purchase.

Are these my options?? A company that can't QC their hardware vs a company that can't QC their software??!

03/25/2012 04:31 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Originally posted by: bo122081

Why is it that every time AMD updates anything regarding Catalyst they break the whole damn thing? And it's not just me. Anytime they push an update out, I can just google "CCC" and get at least a dozen results related to how the new update doesn't work, broke someone's computer, or made people have to restart windows.

Are these my options?? A company that can't QC their hardware vs a company that can't QC their software??!

Not true, it does happen in some cases, but not all the time with every release .. and in light of the 700billion hardware / software combinations out there, it's always going to be like that ..

It's very rare that I come across issues with drivers, and I work all day, every day with PCs and VGA cards .. if it was as bad as you make it out to be, I'd soon go out of business, and so would everybody else involved in the industry ..

Yup, probably, that's the way the industry goes .. nothing is infallible when it comes down to electronic parts and PCs etc ..

AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 03/25/2012 08:37 PM

Author Icon
bo122081
n00b

Originally posted by: Gr33nGeckoNot true, it does happen in some cases, but not all the time with every release .. and in light of the 700billion hardware / software combinations out there, it's always going to be like that ..

It's very rare that I come across issues with drivers, and I work all day, every day with PCs and VGA cards .. if it was as bad as you make it out to be, I'd soon go out of business, and so would everybody else involved in the industry ..

Yup, probably, that's the way the industry goes .. nothing is infallible when it comes down to electronic parts and PCs etc ..

Well, I have a pretty vanilla Win7 install on all industry-standard parts, nothing crazy or off-standard at all in my rig, and I've had MAJOR problems with EVERY.SINGLE.CCC.UPDATE so far.

It was the same on my previous computer as well, though that one was slightly less 'standard'.

I spent/spend a pretty fair amount of money on my computers and I use them for a lot of things, both personal and professional. I'm a tech professional in several fields (hardware/software support, programming, scripting, web design and graphic design), so honestly, I don't think this is a PEBKAC issue...andd my google results lead me to believe the issue is fairly widespread.

As I said, I get update, I install, I have issue, I google and realize a LOT of people have similar issues (and in most cases, lots of different issues, as well).

03/25/2012 11:06 PM

Author Icon
RedFarang
n00b

I can completely relate to user bo122081 situation:

From the posts above I *know* I'm not the only Windows 7 64 bit user experiencing *major problems* for every ATI update. 

I do not have 6 hours to spend for every ATI display driver update, and I have no intention running free tests/problem solving for ATI. I already payed you. Fair enough, or what do you think?

This time it's simply like this: Provide me with a successful procedure for an update from the 12.1 to 12.2 driver or I will never ever consider buying ATI again. Period.

Thanks to Windows system restore I *just* managed to get the previous 12.1 back up and running again.

Enough of this nonsense already.

03/25/2012 11:22 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

If you're having major problems with every single driver release, then you're obviously doing something wrong, it's as simple as that really.

I went from 11.10 to 11.12 to 12.1 to 12.2 pre-certified to 12.2 WHQL as an over-the-top install, no uninstalling of previous, just a straight update - no problems at all .. same as my friend's rigs which I maintain for them, and also client systems .. As a matter of fact, I've always just overwritten the drivers with the new updates. Just before I got this SSD and a fresh W7 Ultimate x64 install, I'd gone a year doing the same thing with no issues .. same as the year before that, and before that ...

Not like nVidia don't have driver issues either, the complete fallacy that they never fail is just that. At least I've never seen AMD's drivers kill cards out of the box, as I have done with at least three nVidia driver sets in the past few years ..

Just installed 12.4 betas over 12.2 WHQL, again, no problems here ...

AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 03/26/2012 12:00 AM

Author Icon
RedFarang
n00b

Originally posted by: Gr33nGecko  

If you're having major problems with every single driver release, then you're obviously doing something wrong, it's as simple as that really.

I went from 11.10 to 11.12 to 12.1 to 12.2 pre-certified to 12.2 WHQL as an over-the-top install, no uninstalling of previous, just a straight update - no problems at all .. same as my friend's rigs which I maintain for them, and also client systems .. As a matter of fact, I've always just overwritten the drivers with the new updates. Just before I got this SSD and a fresh W7 Ultimate x64 install, I'd gone a year doing the same thing with no issues .. same as the year before that, and before that ...

Not like nVidia don't have driver issues either, the complete fallacy that they never fail is just that. At least I've never seen AMD's drivers kill cards out of the box, as I have done with at least three nVidia driver sets in the past few years ..

I though uninstalling always was necessarcy or at the very least recommended... I will try to go along with your advice, but would be very surprised to see it working.

In regard to doing something wrong: What can be done wrong? Driver installations is a daily occurance, and something which rarely causes problems.

I always *follow instructions* provided with the official driver. Why would I do anything differently? So if I'm doing anything wrong, who is to be blamed..

03/26/2012 01:28 AM

Author Icon
RedFarang
n00b

Originally posted by: Gr33nGecko  

I appreciate your advice, and I tried following your steps - without resolving the issue.

Reading the forum for more than a year, I also tried the below method (which used to work) but I'm still not able to launch/access the CCC panel.

Might as well post this up again ..

If you're faced with that issue, try this solution. May not work if any driver sweeper or registry entry cleaners have been used.

1. Download the WICU.

2. Uninstall everything related to ATI/AMD.

Control Panel -->> Services -->> AMD External Events Utility -->> Disable / Stop Service ..

Command Prompt with elevated permissions --> sc delete "AMD External Events Utility" ..

Reboot ..

3. Launch WICU and delete anything related to ATI/AMD/CCC.

4. Delete all ATI/AMD folders in "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)".

5. While UAC is turned off (Vista/7 only) navigate to the "C:\Windows\Assembly" folder and delete any assemblies which have the public token key "90ba9c70f846762e". It is possible that you won't find any, but check it.

5. Reboot.

6. Install the Catalyst package again.

I've now gone back to the 12.1 version, awaiting a fix from ATI. Currently, as many times before, I'm afraid, I have the feeling I'm not a returning ATI customer. Commercial drivers like these should simply just work. I'm not saying it's easy or straight forward: All I know is that Nvidia knows how.

03/26/2012 01:46 AM

Author Icon
bo122081
n00b

I've now gone back to the 12.1 version, awaiting a fix from ATI. Currently, as many times before, I'm afraid, I have the feeling I'm not a returning ATI customer. Commercial drivers like these should simply just work. I'm not saying it's easy or straight forward: All I know is that Nvidia knows how.

As much as I loathe going back to nvidia, based on the wretched experiences I've had with their cards frying, I'm seriously considering it at this point as well.

As noted: other major companies produce periodic driver updates without major failure problems EVERY.RELEASE.

As to 'doing it wrong', I'm not sure how that's even possible in this instance. A window popped up, with no prompting from me on a normal system reboot, and said "There's a new CCC version! Do you want to download it?" I clicked "Yes", It said, "I can do this for you, would you like to go to the site, or have the download done automatically?"

I said, "Wow! A new option from AMD, maybe it'll work this time!", I clicked "Yes."

Saddly, it installed with no issues, but broke my CCC AGAIN. Every single time I've ever updated drivers/CCC from AMD, CCC no longer opens without me spending usually an entire weeked reinstalling, repairing, uninstalling, finding 3rd party apps to uninstall MORE, then reinstalling, repairs, etc ad nauseum until finally it decides to work.

NO MORE. I'm just not doing it this time. CCC won't work out the box? I'M NOT FIXING IT FOR AMD. Maybe my next card will be an nVidia and my drivers will just f***ing work. Because at least then I could go 6 months with no hassles before the thing burns out. Then I can just drive down to best buy and grab a new one.

Because a 15min drive and dropping $100 on a new card is preferrable to spending 24+ hours bashing my head against AMD's FAILURE.

How about that AMD? I will GIVE YOU $100 if you just make the patches work. $100 and from now on CCC doesn't break itself every time you patch it? It does it again, I get my $100 back? No. You can't. Even if you wanted to take me up on that you can't. You're not a person, you're a faceless corporation. A faceless corporation that apparently sucks at QC.

DAMNIT.

03/26/2012 03:29 AM

Author Icon
RedFarang
n00b

Originally posted by: bo122081

As much as I loathe going back to nvidia, based on the wretched experiences I've had with their cards frying, I'm seriously considering it at this point as well.

As noted: other major companies produce periodic driver updates without major failure problems EVERY.RELEASE.

As to 'doing it wrong', I'm not sure how that's even possible in this instance. A window popped up, with no prompting from me on a normal system reboot, and said "There's a new CCC version! Do you want to download it?" I clicked "Yes", It said, "I can do this for you, would you like to go to the site, or have the download done automatically?"

I said, "Wow! A new option from AMD, maybe it'll work this time!", I clicked "Yes."

Saddly, it installed with no issues, but broke my CCC AGAIN. Every single time I've ever updated drivers/CCC from AMD, CCC no longer opens without me spending usually an entire weeked reinstalling, repairing, uninstalling, finding 3rd party apps to uninstall MORE, then reinstalling, repairs, etc ad nauseum until finally it decides to work.

NO MORE. I'm just not doing it this time. CCC won't work out the box? I'M NOT FIXING IT FOR AMD. Maybe my next card will be an nVidia and my drivers will just f***ing work. Because at least then I could go 6 months with no hassles before the thing burns out. Then I can just drive down to best buy and grab a new one.

Because a 15min drive and dropping $100 on a new card is preferrable to spending 24+ hours bashing my head against AMD's FAILURE.

How about that AMD? I will GIVE YOU $100 if you just make the patches work. $100 and from now on CCC doesn't break itself every time you patch it? It does it again, I get my $100 back? No. You can't. Even if you wanted to take me up on that you can't. You're not a person, you're a faceless corporation. A faceless corporation that apparently sucks at QC.

DAMNIT.

Sure, I can totally understand your frustration. These are not very expensive products, but we paid for them and expect them to work. End of story, end of my relationship with AMD/ATI. It must be my fifth post regarding basic problems relating to their drivers. I can not recall having these types of problems with Nvidia - at all! I'm not here to diss AMD, I just want my friggin product to work!

03/26/2012 10:23 AM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Who says you even have to update drivers to the latest versions anyhows ? If the release notes say a driver pack contains a fix to problem ABC & you ain't having problems with ABC, then you don't have to use the latest driver pack even if it's all shiny, shiny, new, new.

If you aren't having any issues with anything, then you really ain't missing out on chocolate cake, milk & cookies because you're running older drivers .. as they say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it !

Hell, even XFX's website mentions something similar about updating drivers .. and that not all driver packs are suitable for every card etc .. and that's for a good reason. If you're updating just for the sake of updating, then yeah, you can hit issues ..

Just reinstalled several rigs at work today, again, no issues going from 2 using 11.x drivers and 2 using 12.1 drivers to all 4 using 12.2 .. easy enough, works, tested, stable, less than 30mins work and an hour or three testing and x4 $xx in the bank. Simple.

To the rant about giving $100 - I'll take that off your hands mate, if you have issues with every single Catalyst version every time you update things and every time it doesn't work, then sorry, you ARE doing something fundamentally wrong, that's easy enough to see and doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out.
If you're a PC engineer/tech as you claim to be, then you must understand that to a degree. If I don't have issues ( or rarely have issues, so rare, since 1995/6 I can count problematic AMD driver suites on one hand, maybe go to the second and use a single digit ), neither does the guy running a store down from me, nor does the guy running a similar store down from both of us ( yeah, main road, has about 5 PC/IT stores on it ), my buddies have no issues, my 14yr old nephew doesn't have any problems, and neither do oh, only about several million other AMD users, then logically, somewhere down the line, somehow, you're doing something wrong or have software installed which is causing some issue or suchlike ..

Sorry, but it's just too easy to rant & rave, but it ain't always AMD's fault at the end of the day .. go to nVidia's forums and you'll see people such as yourselves all ranting about how sh1t3 their drivers are too .. 50/50 cut, swings & roundabouts, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, same horse different jockey etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ...

03/30/2012 06:48 PM

Author Icon
Okys
n00b

Brilliant! After all the headaches i got while trying to get rid of 12.2, the new real 12.3 Driver release now works just perfect. CCC.exe starts up as it should. Lets see how it performs on games.

AMD Support and Game » The Archive » 12.2 ccc not starting with windows 7

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84112 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.