Topic Title: Skyrim terrible performance, 5970 / 12.5 / 12.6 / 12.7
Topic Summary: Reporting bugs here, as the issue reporting page for driver doesn't work.
Created On: 06/29/2012 02:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/29/2012 02:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
FPSchris
n00b

Reporting this hear because the driver problem report page seems to be down and isn't working when I try to report.

My specs:
CPU: Intel i7-2600k.
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H70.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe -bios 3207
Ram: DDR3 1600, 8gigs corsair vengeance
Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 o.c edition
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P - 1920x1080
Mouse: Logitech g9x.
Sound: Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound.
Keyboard: Logitech G110

Latest DirectX updated, latest .net's updated

Here's my problem, I'm getting severe dips in framerate when looking around, however other times it doesn't occur. It seems to happen after loading into a new area or fast traveling. 60frames, look around behind me it dips to 20 then recovers back to 60.

12.6 the menu flickered with yellow flashes in the menu, 12.7 seems to have fixed this issue however my performance is still suffering, sometimes crossfire works and the framerate is smooth, sometimes it doesn't and the framerate dips hugely when turning.

Tried this with tree and land shadows on and off, both same. Tried it with AA on and off, same results. Tried it worth morphological aa, same results. Tried it with vsync on and off, same results.

I'm experiencing a new bug that I wasn't before with the compass HUD in 12.7. It appears stretched at the top of the screen. 

Clearly crossfire isn't working properly or it's somehow deactivating when loading into new areas or fast traveling, that's the only conclusion I'm drawing here. I just don't understand how the frames can be smooth sometimes without dips while at other times in the same locations it's dipping badly. 

I'm also getting very choppy mouse movements with 60 frames. It only occurs when the mouse is being moved at an upwards incline or a downwards incline, moving side to side perfectly I don't notice it. I tried disabling mouse smoothing, then vsync, but no deal, still occurs. It's annoying to have 60 frame rate but then get this choppy motions. 

my dips and chop movements even with vsync happen in both 12.6 and 12.7 

should probably mention that i can play battlefield 3 without issue so it's definitely not a hardware issue but a driver one. 

12.7 new issues.

- when using dragon shouts the cooldown meter at the top becomes glitched with a blue box graphical error.

- Enemies health bars aren't being updated when being attacked. They still die, I just can't see what health they have if they take damage. 

- Can't see charge on enchanted items, stretched bad. 

12.6 and 12.7 both terrible performance for me in skyrim, crossfire doesn't seem to be working or at the very least is extremely buggy. 

Edited: 06/29/2012 at 05:04 PM by FPSchris
 06/29/2012 05:01 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Really?  http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4

Find it on this page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

06/29/2012 05:08 PM

Author Icon
FPSchris
n00b

yeah I know, they must have fixed what was wrong a few minutes after I made this thread. I already reported the problem. 

06/30/2012 12:44 AM

Author Icon
FPSchris
n00b

ok uh.. this is pretty messed up.

So I decided eh, what the hell, I'll just turn AA off completely and see what happens (I was just trying out morphological x16 super sampling b4 this).

And um... yeah. My frame rates are at a steady 60. Sometimes dips to 50 when turning but jumps back up to 60 relatively quickly.

Odd thing is.... the game is STILL obviously using some form of AA, I mean aside from the text it doesn't look any different than when I was using morphological x16.

There are no unbuffed edges anywhere, so it's still obviously using AA even though it's OFF but I'm not getting a frame rate impact.

So freaking weird.... Don't understand it. 

06/30/2012 01:35 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Using super sampling kinda defeats the purpose of Morf filtering. AMD has a good explaination and there is a good performance test available on morphological filtering..and both say the same basic thing in one respect, that morphological filtering doesn't care or need any front end AA. That's the real benefit. Get high quality video rendering without the demand of AA.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/technology/Pages/morphological-aa.aspx

http://benchmark3d.com/mlaa-2-0-performance-and-image-quality-review

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

06/30/2012 02:59 AM

Author Icon
Remy540
Peon

@FPSchris

This...

Tried this with tree and land shadows on and off, both same. Tried it with AA on and off, same results. Tried it worth morphological aa, same results. Tried it with vsync on and off, same results.

Really confused me, especially after you later posted this...

ok uh.. this is pretty messed up.

So I decided eh, what the hell, I'll just turn AA off completely and see what happens (I was just trying out morphological x16 super sampling b4 this).

To me AA off IS completely off. So anyway I had the same problem with fps with SSAA on my 5850s. In my case either I had set AA mode to SSAA when running less demanding games and forgot about it (most likely), or it was enable by default in one of the driver versions. I finaly figured it out when reading the reveiw on tomshardware for the 7970/7950.

From what little I have read SSAA is a performance killer for any video card, suited only for highend rigs that dim the lights when they hit load. If I were you I would try Adaptive MSAA, and if that is to much drop back to MSAA. But keep what stumped posted in mind I haven't messed with morphological filtering yet but I will soon

@stumped

I also didn't know about the morphological filtering. Many thanks for the info.

CPU:1090T @ 3927Mhz CPU & 2865Mhz CPU/NB, MB:Asus 990FX Sabertooth, RAM:Corsair Dominator 2x4GB @ 1586Mhz 8-8-8-24 2T, Cooler:ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme with Delta fans, GFX:2 Sapphire HD7950 Boost, Drives:1 Crucial M4 256GB, 1 WD Caviar Black 640GB, & 2 DVD, PSU:Seasonic X-1050, Case:HAF-932 upgraded fans, OS:W7 64bit, Display:3x1 Eyefinity @ 3600x1600 and 1 extended

07/02/2012 01:02 PM

Author Icon
FPSchris
n00b

Originally posted by: Remy540 @FPSchris

This...

Really confused me, especially after you later posted this...

ok uh.. this is pretty messed up. So I decided eh, what the hell, I'll just turn AA off completely and see what happens (I was just trying out morphological x16 super sampling b4 this).

To me AA off IS completely off. So anyway I had the same problem with fps with SSAA on my 5850s. In my case either I had set AA mode to SSAA when running less demanding games and forgot about it (most likely), or it was enable by default in one of the driver versions. I finaly figured it out when reading the reveiw on tomshardware for the 7970/7950.

From what little I have read SSAA is a performance killer for any video card, suited only for highend rigs that dim the lights when they hit load. If I were you I would try Adaptive MSAA, and if that is to much drop back to MSAA. But keep what stumped posted in mind I haven't messed with morphological filtering yet but I will soon

@stumped

I also didn't know about the morphological filtering. Many thanks for the info.

I think I was referring to using the CCC settings. That's why I said "I'll just turn AA off completely" because I turned it off in skyrims launcher as well.

Basically there should have been 0 aa happening while playing but it wasn't the case. It didn't look any different than having AA on and my performance was way better. So I duno what the deal is regarding that. 

If I turn AA on my performance suffers but there is no visual difference with having it off at all. 

Statistics
85772 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.