Just curious to see what everyone thinks the easiest and hardest video games they've ever played were. Now, there are a few rules:
1) Text based games are not allowed. Ever see the movie Big? Remember the game he plays? That's a text based game. Another example would be the Hugo series of games where you moved the character with the arrow keys but told him what to do by typing instructions such as "open safe".
2) Only consider games with a clear ending, no games which just get progressively harder until you lose, such as Tetris.
3) When considering difficulty, only consider the main quest line or main objective, not side quests (as in the TES series) or "optional 100% complete" objectives (such as completing the Pokédex in a Pokémon game).
4) When considering difficulty, only consider the first time you played through the game, which hopefully you didn't have to cheat (using cheats or a walkthrough) to get through. Or if you've never beaten it, well, then I'm sure that's going to be the one you pick as the hardest.
5) The games you choose can be any game from early PC DOS games through modern PC games as well as early console games to modern console games.
6) Do explain your choices.
Now, I'll start off.
Easiest -- This was a very easy choice for me, it is "Guerrilla Wars" on the NES. It's not very long, easily completable within an hour, unlimited ammunition for all weapons and grenades, predictable enemies, no time limits, and, the thing which clenches it as the easiest game for me, unlimited continues after you lose every life, so there's no incentive to stay alive. It's like they took an arcade game, removed the necessity of paying, and sold it.
Hardest -- This was also a very easy choice for me, it's "Gauntlet" on the NES. Why? Because I've never been able to beat the thing! Even using the game genie and turning on unlimited health and unlimited keys, even after two decades of trying to beat the thing, I haven't been able to do it. If you've never played it, pick up an emulator and ROM and try it, it'll drive you up the wall and across the ceiling. Sure it's your typical tough game of the 8 bit era until you get to stage 50 or so when, well, I won't tell you any spoilers..
easiest - well this is hard, because almost everygame nowdays are very easy especially the shooter game, i think the easiest game i have played was assassin creed 1, once altair learn counter kill everything becomes too easy, you can even counter kill the final boss with the hidden blade and when he's down just stab him again and he died .
Hardest- well this one is easy, Master Karateka on nes, seriously i never beat that game, maybe it's hard because i was 5 years old at the time or maybe because it is a hard game. Oh and shinobi on PS2, can't beat the final boss after countless try and just gave up, the guy is invulnerable like he was surounded with invisible shield or something plus your health keep droping because for some reason you're using a curse sword which drain your health non stop, imagine you playing Diablo 3 on inferno against elite with shielding afflix and desecrator, and you stand on top of the fire and hit the elite while their shield is up, that's what it feels like.
Plenty of VERY hard games I never really tried - mostly because the initial difficulty turned me off. (i.e. Gauntlet is the perfect example). I hate 'cheating' or using codes to legitamently beat a game the first time. First time through any game I will play through as the dev. intended. But for games like gauntlet, after trying like the first 10 levels, over, and over, and over again, getting worked over every time.... I turned it off and never really tried to beat it after that. I put it in my make believe 'unbeatable' catagory and just kick them around when I'm bored. Another one - Ikari Warriors without using 'A-B-B-A' on the NES.
Anyway back to my easiest/hardest:
I dunno.... probably 'Duck Tails' on NES. Super easy and as a kid I used to see how fast I could beat it and try to without dying.
Ninja Gaiden - the original on the NES. Still never beat it; but last time I had gotten the Demon (after you kill Jaquio) down to two life bars when I died. And if you die on the boss fight you have to start the entire world 8 over again..... still can't do it.
Surprised nobody mentioned Final Fantasy I (the NES FF1), which gave us the phrases "Eye uses GAZE", "Warmech uses NUKE", and "Chaos uses CRAK", not to mention Bahamut the Dragon, and the ability to carry around 99 houses as if they were nothing
Hi for me it would have to be Unreal Tournament mod lms zark rifle online play. The action never stopped if you stopped moving you where dead they had some great online players then. Not only hard to win but hard on the body also made me sweat to keep up. I only wish I was younger when the pc game market came to be I am to old to keep up now but still play LOL.