Topic Title: AMD Radeon 2XX Series Artifacts > Switching to nVidia after exhausting all options
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/07/2014 04:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/07/2014 04:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Let me share with you my experience with AMD's R9 2XX series

I've previously owned an ASUS R9 280X DCU2T OC card but faced with a large variety of artifacts and graphical corruption issues, had it exchanged twice but with no avail. 

Subsequently, I rid myself of that 280X and purchased a 290, hoping it might not have the same issue plaguing my previous 280X but ultimately, I was being too optimistic as the same graphical issue exhibits itself. Believing that it might be due to my other hardware components, I upgraded my entire rig with new parts and lo and behold, the artifacting is still there. 

I've tried contacting AMD, contacting the manufacturer, searching around the net but no one has a definitive answer although it is increasingly evident that it isn't an uncommon issue as there are countless others with similar experience.

Reaching out to AMD and the manufacturer proved to be futile either as AMD refused to acknowledge or even respond and the manufacturer can only suggest that I sent it in for RMA even though I've explained that it has happened to 3 brand new cards in total and replacing the card is unlikely to resolve the issue. At this time, I found out that there are 2 other friends of mine, 2 with the same card I''d been using (280X) and another with the same series (280X) but from a different manufacturer and all of them faced the same issue albeit at different frequencies.

After AMD's non-communication and the manufacturer's inability to assist me any further, I decided to wait and hope that the new WHQL drivers might solve the artifacting but as I've feared, it didn't. 

So I've since purchased an nVidia GeForce GTX 780 after being frustrated dealing with Radeon's artifacting issue and deciding that thats enough.

Never been happier, it is as though a burden has been lifted off me and I can now use my computer without all the artifacting, flickering and black outs and pulling my hair out trying to fix it.

To AMD, your decision of not acknowledging the issue caused many customers to abandon the platform and through the bad experience of those customers, caused potential customers to avoid AMD graphics cards, this is beyond just a poor performing card, it is literally an unusable card.

To others facing the same issue, save yourself the trouble, you can't fix it and the best solution is to request your retailer to exchange it for an equivalent nVidia GeForce card.   

I've uploaded a video taken on my phone to YouTube, showing the artifacting 

http://youtu.be/fCmOQ1JsbQI

Quality isn't great as mobile publishing to YouTube without WiFi compresses the video heavily

Edited: 05/08/2014 at 02:31 AM by ReiszRie
 05/07/2014 07:46 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

what game is causing artifacts?

-------------------------

05/07/2014 08:44 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

If you go through 3 cards and experience the same issues, then the issue lies with the rest of your system, be it software or other hardware. And if you think nVidia is problem free, go visit their forums.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/07/2014 09:28 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Oh ya, Go Nvidia...Tried one about a year ago(560Ti 448) worked like a champ...for about 2 hours before it fried.....

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

05/07/2014 11:24 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: Vegan what game is causing artifacts?

I've noticed artifacting in FFXIV, BF4, COD Ghost, Shogun 2 and ocassionally sqaure artifacts in windows 

05/07/2014 11:26 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion If you go through 3 cards and experience the same issues, then the issue lies with the rest of your system, be it software or other hardware. And if you think nVidia is problem free, go visit their forums.

Thats the thing, I was convinced originally that my other hardware components are causing it, hence I've proceeded to change my entire rig, down to the power supply and RAM to current specs but that didn't resolve the issue.

I'm sure nVidia cards aren't flawless but I haven't noticed the artifacts thus far on my new GTX780

A quick google search for "Asus 280X artifacting" will show you how widespread the issue is. 

05/07/2014 11:28 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: Earnhardt Oh ya, Go Nvidia...Tried one about a year ago(560Ti 448) worked like a champ...for about 2 hours before it fried.....

Sticking with a graphics card that artifacts and renders games unplayable simply isn't an option, I do not have any other alternative but to switch to a nVidia card and it has thus far not given me any artifacting issues. 

05/07/2014 11:59 AM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: ReiszRie
Originally posted by: black_zion If you go through 3 cards and experience the same issues, then the issue lies with the rest of your system, be it software or other hardware. And if you think nVidia is problem free, go visit their forums.
Thats the thing, I was convinced originally that my other hardware components are causing it, hence I've proceeded to change my entire rig, down to the power supply and RAM to current specs but that didn't resolve the issue. I'm sure nVidia cards aren't flawless but I haven't noticed the artifacts thus far on my new GTX780 A quick google search for "Asus 280X artifacting" will show you how widespread the issue is. 

Before i got my brand new r9 280x i asked here in the forum if there are much trouble with amd and drivers. 

The guys come and say noooo i have amd 15 years and never got trouble.

So ive plugged in the graphiccard and aftwr a day of watching movies over the web i got blue screens.

Than everyone acting here like they never know these pproblem. The whole web is full of AMD trouble.

So i did everything to solve it but you will notice fast that its not your other hardware or anything. Its AMD. Its not a working solution for graphics hardware.

So i have to make a refund next week and use a nvidia like you.

Nvidia doesnt make much trouble. It runs like it should. WWith amd i see in every game i runned so far some troubles. And i dont want to know what troubles come when i buy newer games later. So i have to get rid of AMD fast.

AMD is not a solution for PC. More something for embedded systems or full working solutions. But for a component based system is AMD not working.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[2x Corsair D3 4GB 1333-999 XMS]
[750 Watt]
[NEW Sappihre R9 280x Dual-X OC] - Blue Screen by AMD kernel mode driver
[Windows 7 64-bit]

05/07/2014 12:51 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: TypeOverride
Thats the thing, I was convinced originally that my other hardware components are causing it, hence I've proceeded to change my entire rig, down to the power supply and RAM to current specs but that didn't resolve the issue. I'm sure nVidia cards aren't flawless but I haven't noticed the artifacts thus far on my new GTX780 A quick google search for "Asus 280X artifacting" will show you how widespread the issue is. 

Before i got my brand new r9 280x i asked here in the forum if there are much trouble with amd and drivers. 

The guys come and say noooo i have amd 15 years and never got trouble.

So ive plugged in the graphiccard and aftwr a day of watching movies over the web i got blue screens.

Than everyone acting here like they never know these pproblem. The whole web is full of AMD trouble.

So i did everything to solve it but you will notice fast that its not your other hardware or anything. Its AMD. Its not a working solution for graphics hardware.

So i have to make a refund next week and use a nvidia like you.

Nvidia doesnt make much trouble. It runs like it should. WWith amd i see in every game i runned so far some troubles. And i dont want to know what troubles come when i buy newer games later. So i have to get rid of AMD fast.

AMD is not a solution for PC. More something for embedded systems or full working solutions. But for a component based system is AMD not working.

You two can be best buddies over there in green land. Match made in heaven.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/07/2014 01:01 PM

Author Icon
absreim
Peon

I too am having trouble with the R9 280x. I am using an XFX R9 280x and see artifacts ranging from random flickering polygons to the entire screen going blank for fractions of a second.

The artifacts are more severe the more load is placed on the card. For example, running the First Strike Extreme test in 3DMark immediately results in the most severe of artifacts, but even running a game like Titanfall or Skyrim for a few hours with moderate settings causes artifacting that renders the game unplayable. All of these artifacts are appearing without the card going above 60C, so I doubt heat is the issue here.

While I haven't used it enough to conclude definitively, it appears that the latest 14.4 Catalyst drivers have mitigated the artifacting significantly, but definitely have not completely gotten rid of them.

05/07/2014 07:58 PM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: absreim I too am having trouble with the R9 280x. I am using an XFX R9 280x and see artifacts ranging from random flickering polygons to the entire screen going blank for fractions of a second.

The artifacts are more severe the more load is placed on the card. For example, running the First Strike Extreme test in 3DMark immediately results in the most severe of artifacts, but even running a game like Titanfall or Skyrim for a few hours with moderate settings causes artifacting that renders the game unplayable. All of these artifacts are appearing without the card going above 60C, so I doubt heat is the issue here.

While I haven't used it enough to conclude definitively, it appears that the latest 14.4 Catalyst drivers have mitigated the artifacting significantly, but definitely have not completely gotten rid of them.

And now you want to play each game with artifacts? have a nice gaming.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[750 Watt]
[Windows 7 64-bit]

05/07/2014 11:53 PM

Author Icon
absreim
Peon

Since installing the new drivers, I haven't experienced any artifacts except when running 3DMark with high settings, and even those have been greatly reduced compared to the 13.12 drivers.

I'm not trying to be an AMD fanboy by any means. Instead I'm just saying that people having problems might want to give version 14.4 drivers a shot before going through an RMA. According to posts I've seen here, a hardware replacement does not solve the problem.

05/07/2014 11:57 PM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: absreim

Since installing the new drivers, I haven't experienced any artifacts except when running 3DMark with high settings, and even those have been greatly reduced compared to the 13.12 drivers.

I'm not trying to be an AMD fanboy by any means. Instead I'm just saying that people having problems might want to give version 14.4 drivers a shot before going through an RMA. According to posts I've seen here, a hardware replacement does not solve the problem.

No thats true. You will get this with all AMD graphiccards 2XX series.

I think there is no solution at the moment. And AMD is not very transparency it such things.

Because of the RMA. I have only 2 weeks to decide if i keep it or get a refund. Thats the problem.

Im not a big AMD fan. I like the politics more than the NVidia politics, so there is a little bit emotion in. I like om AMD that marketing is not the A and O of AMD. And this is the reason ive bought an AMD GPU after only a decade of NVIDIA.

But i see AMD has bigger problems than only trying to be a solution for PC gamers. They have a very bad reputation. Their drivers are crap. Maybe the developers ignore special AMD problems and they run all a NVIDIA.

As developer myself NVIDA brings much benefits. They are very close to the developers. But now i have a AMD the first time and i see problems that i never had with NVIDIA.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[750 Watt]
[Windows 7 64-bit]

Edited: 05/08/2014 at 12:08 AM by TypeOverride
 05/08/2014 12:18 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Whole series of posts by this guy is BS...WHY would he keep posting?

Would relegate this to the TROLL page.

Non-noob components.

05/08/2014 01:30 AM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong Whole series of posts by this guy is BS...WHY would he keep posting?

I stay here until my problem is fixed by a newer driver which is working (one week left until i have to make a refund and buy a NVIDIA). I think when i pay 300 Euro for a graphiccard which is not working propper. I have all right to stay here and wait until i have a solution.

Its not fair to the customers. Do you think i should be fair to AMD ? (Its a real question. Maybe i change my opinion and try to be a little bit nicer here)

Really im only in my browser and i got BlueScreen (im not a big gamer, so i couldnt say if gaming make much more problems. Ive tested only a few games, and there were graphic problems. DayZ and Bf3)

I miss transparency. I want to know whats going on.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[750 Watt]
[Windows 7 64-bit]

Edited: 05/08/2014 at 01:39 AM by TypeOverride
 05/08/2014 02:18 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: absreim

On the contrary, the artifacting intensity and frequency increased after I pgraded to 14.4 WHQL, I had held out replacing the card because I was hopeful that the 14.4 drivers might solve it. 

The crux of the issue is the lack of communication from AMD, we can hold out, ever hoping that the next driver fixes it but without an acknowledgement or timeline from AMD, we might simply be overly optimistic, hoping for a driver fix that might or might not even arrive.

05/08/2014 02:20 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong Whole series of posts by this guy is BS...WHY would he keep posting?

ad hominem 

if ever in doubt, google "asus 280x artifacting" tell me that all of those with the exact same problem are somehow trolling.

05/08/2014 02:30 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

I've uploaded a video taken on my phone to YouTube, showing the artifacting 

http://youtu.be/fCmOQ1JsbQI

Quality isn't great as mobile publishing to YouTube without WiFi compresses the video heavily

05/08/2014 02:32 AM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

ad hominem 

if ever in doubt, google "asus 280x artifacting" tell me that all of those with the exact same problem are somehow trolling.

Trolling is a trend word to insult peoples or say they shouldnt say something.

So yeah like you said and i said independently, transparency is missing.

We need more transparency whats goint on with the drivers.

AMD is famous for bad drivers. And we cant have faith in it that this will someday have an end.

AMD stays what it is. Someone who has big troubles with his drivers. But i say so much bad things about the drivers so i want to say something nice:

MANTLE is great. The only real reason ive bought an AMD. And the drivers are allways they the thing why they loose customers to NVIDIA dont matter if they have Mantle on his side. Enough is enough. Mantle will not help when nothing works.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[750 Watt]
[Windows 7 64-bit]

05/08/2014 02:46 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

I have always been a Radeon supporter, ever since ATi days and is the de facto choice for myself and recommendations but my recent experience really destroyed every sliver of faith and confidence I have in AMD Radeon.

Statistics
85480 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.