Topic Title: Email from AMD... Real??
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/03/2013 09:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2013 09:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tombs-IcN
Peon

Hi,

So today I received an email from AMD. The senders email is Sam.Tehrani@amd.com

Suppposedly I have won a BF4 key. In order to claim this key I need to complete an attached affidavit and return to this sender. Included in this Word Document, it asks for Name etc etc and Tax Identification Number/SSN. 

I am pretty damn sure this is fake and am doing to this to get clarification, and ultimately bring this to the attention of the AMD team.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tombs

12/03/2013 09:44 PM

Author Icon
Nksharp
Peon

Got the same email and was thinking it is fake also, hopeing dor a response from amd. 

12/03/2013 09:54 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Anything that asks for your SSN is a phishing scam and very bad fraud. 

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

12/05/2013 04:55 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Sam Tehrani is a colleague of mine, but he's based in Sunnyvale.  It's legit.  I completely understand any concern surrounding the need for the SSN number. That's been a long-standing concern with customers when completing pre-shipment warranties on CPUs in GPUs.

For the warranties, and shipping a physical product, it was never AMD that required it.  It was the US Government (aka - Homeland Security) that required it.  As for a simple coupon-code to get BF4 for free, I'm not sure where this falls under for needing the SSN, but I would certainly e-mail Sam and get his feedback on the reason for needing the SSN.

At the very least, I can 100% tell you that e-mail address, and Sam Tehrani are completely legit.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

12/14/2013 03:50 PM

Author Icon
Rustinator
Peon

Originally posted by: Tombs-IcN Hi,

So today I received an email from AMD. The senders email is Sam.Tehrani@amd.com

Suppposedly I have won a BF4 key. In order to claim this key I need to complete an attached affidavit and return to this sender. Included in this Word Document, it asks for Name etc etc and Tax Identification Number/SSN. 

I am pretty damn sure this is fake and am doing to this to get clarification, and ultimately bring this to the attention of the AMD team.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tombs

Anybody got a key? I am one of the winners and still have not got a key.

Statistics
86379 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.