Topic Title: Eyefinity + 7970 = tearing..?
Topic Summary: Just swapped out 5870 CF and get tearing everywhere. What gives?
Created On: 04/15/2013 08:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/02/2013 01:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
astarothcy
Peon

Originally posted by: Stealthslide    The good news is that there is a knowledge base on this topic. The bad news is there is no practical fix.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Screentearingwithmultipledisplays.aspx

Basically the displayport can't be synchronised with the  DVI port and this causes the horizontal refresh tear. 

The solution: run all displayport. If you use DVI you have to put up with it.

This is why I will buy Nvidia unless there is a Radeon 8X video card with 3 or more displayports other wise you are doomed to suffer the tear.

This is Eyefinitys great secret shame. It seriously mars an otherwise awesome feature but there is hardly anything about it on the web. 

The reason why it is secret is because if people who bought AMD for Eyefinity found out you need a rare Eyefinity edition or 4 display port video card and all display port monitors (very much in the minority). They would just take the easy solution and buy Nvidia.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't AMD's fault but why on earth would they have people sell video cards with only 2 displayports. It means they are just ignoring the design fault and have no respect for people who wish to use the Eyefinity feature.

Cards with less than 3 displayports should not be labeled as Eyefinity.

Yep, I knew this was a design fault. What a waste of our time. AMD needs to correct this.

As an interesting side note, I ended up buying a GeForce GTX 660, and it actually kind of also has tearing issues, but it is possible to temporarily fix them at least. If your computer goes to sleep or the display sleeps, when it comes back on, one of the two displays shows tearing (pretty much exactly like the Radeon does). However, if you then go into the display settings and change the type of scaling (from any type to any type) on either of the two displays, the tearing goes away.

Of course, it's annoying to still have a tearing problem, but the fact that it is at least temporarily fixable means that it is not an insurmountable issue, at least in the case of the GTX 660.

I'm going to submit this as a support ticket to them and hopefully they will look into it and bake an automated refresh synchronization step right in the driver.

07/03/2013 10:48 AM

Author Icon
Stealthslide
Peon

@astarothcy   interesting, I did not know that about the Nvidias. Is tearing as prevalent as the AMDs? Does it look the same?

Maybe there could be a cheap fix with scaling? I wonder what the technical reason for this would be.

07/03/2013 11:05 AM

Author Icon
astarothcy
Peon

Originally posted by: Stealthslide @astarothcy   interesting, I did not know that about the Nvidias. Is tearing as prevalent as the AMDs? Does it look the same?

Maybe there could be a cheap fix with scaling? I wonder what the technical reason for this would be.

The tearing looks somewhat similar in that it is a single tear line, but it is not quite as extreme of a tear, and it doesn't move smoothly up the screen like it did on the Radeon.

However! NVidia just released a driver update last night, and this is only after one reboot, but I don't see the tearing anymore!

EDIT: Nevermind, the tearing still comes back after the computer sleeps. I'll try to boot into a different OS (Ubuntu Live USB) and see if it does the same thing.

Edited: 07/03/2013 at 05:09 PM by astarothcy
 07/07/2013 08:59 PM

Author Icon
BatCat
Peon

Weird, I originaly posted this in two places figuring I had put it in the wrong place.

Now someone has moved them to same base.. great more confusion or more coverage.

-------------------------

Phenom ][ 965, Gigabyte 790fx ud5, Saphire AMD 7970 Ghz, 4gig OCZ 1066, Eyefinity 3x ASUS vw266 (1920x1200x3), OCZ Vertex boot, assorted others.  Asus Xonar DSX > 5.1 ~700w Sony  :)

10/03/2013 10:53 PM

Author Icon
BladeParker
Peon

Originally posted by: Stealthslide    The good news is that there is a knowledge base on this topic. The bad news is there is no practical fix.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Screentearingwithmultipledisplays.aspx

Basically the displayport can't be synchronised with the  DVI port and this causes the horizontal refresh tear. 

The solution: run all displayport. If you use DVI you have to put up with it.

This is why I will buy Nvidia unless there is a Radeon 8X video card with 3 or more displayports other wise you are doomed to suffer the tear.

This is Eyefinitys great secret shame. It seriously mars an otherwise awesome feature but there is hardly anything about it on the web. 

The reason why it is secret is because if people who bought AMD for Eyefinity found out you need a rare Eyefinity edition or 4 display port video card and all display port monitors (very much in the minority). They would just take the easy solution and buy Nvidia.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't AMD's fault but why on earth would they have people sell video cards with only 2 displayports. It means they are just ignoring the design fault and have no respect for people who wish to use the Eyefinity feature.

Cards with less than 3 displayports should not be labeled as Eyefinity.

The displayport CAN be synchronized with the DVI port. I recently upgraded from a 5870 with no tearing to a 7970 with tearing.

Windows 7 Pro 64: (DVI)(DVI)(DP->DVI) Currently on CCC 13.9 with 3 identical ASUS monitors.

This issue is widespread and not well known until you own the card. I checked reviews before this purchase from many sites and I did not see this issue anywhere. I chose the 7970 because I had no problems with the 5870 and I wouldn't require any new connections.

I have tried disabling the HDMI audio, but that didn't work. I have tried the use centered timings with no luck. I can choose a basic theme under personalization and that will stop the tearing, but movements become very rough (jagged window borders when dragging). Some people claim it goes away and comes back but I think for some of them, they just don't realize that the tear is slowly moving down the screen and when at the extreme top or bottom, it is harder to see. If DP is set as preferred display, then the 2 DVI screens have the tear. If DVI is set as preferred, the DP has the tear.

1) Because the tear will vanish with a different profile (basic) and 2) the tear did not exist with my 5870 with the same cable connection, this leads me to believe it can be fixed.

Is there any new information on a fix for this?

10/08/2013 03:37 AM

Author Icon
BladeParker
Peon

Just tested my old card again with the same drivers. I had been using 13.9 with the 7970 and 13.4 with the 5870. I pulled out the 7970, put in one 5870 (not crossfire) with the exact same outputs, drivers and monitors. No tearing.

The 7970 is going back. I am going to try the 7990 with more than 3 mini dp outputs... Hopefully it's not a waste of money.

*I went for the EVGA GTX 780 SC instead... I haven't been with nVidia for 10 years but with a tearing issue like this and no support for the issue, I find that unacceptable.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 11:33 PM by BladeParker
AMD Support and Game » AMD Eyefinity » Eyefinity + 7970 = tearing..?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
81112 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.