Topic Title: Need 3 independent displays. Which eyefinity card to use?
Topic Summary: I need to get 3 separate & indie displays going for a coworker. No display spanning.
Created On: 07/23/2013 06:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/23/2013 06:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
disenchanted
Peon

The Problem: determining which Eyefinity card I need, in order to get 3 independent displays.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone with experience in the Eyefinity line of video cards can steer me in the right direction.

I have been trying to get a coworker's dell optiplex 780 midtower computer to drive 3 "independent" displays.

He is very specific that he wants 3 separate, independent displays.

No "spanning" of one desktop across 2 or more displays.

Each monitor will display it's own desktop.

This coworker's current setup is: Two 19-inch dell desktop LCD monitors, capable of 1280x1024 on his desk. Plus he has a wall mount sony hdtv that is capable of 1080p. HDTV has video inputs of : component,vga and hdmi.

His PC is an optiplex 780 and it has 1 open "PCI" expansion slot. The original video card is the 2-video output DMS-59 style, ATI HD Radeon 6000 series.

[Note: I also have at my disposal an optiplex 790, which has two open expansion slots; 1 PCI and 1 PCI-Express x16].

I have tried all sorts of different video configurations and nothing works to provide even 2 "indie" video outputs.

I can only get display #2 and #3 to either offer a choice of being: an  "extended desktop" or "a clone of an existing desktop".

Configurations tested so far with the optiplex 780:

1.  The dual output "DMS-59 type" ATI radeon 6000 series dell video card and a PCI slot, ATI Rage XL, 4meg video card.

2. A galaxy brand, 4 DVI output, pci-express x16 video card, model MDT Geforce 520.

3. A galaxy brand, 4 DVI output, pci-express x16 video card, model MDT Geforce 520 plus an nvidia geforce2 MX400, 4MB, PCI slot card.

4. A galaxy brand, 4 DVI output pci-express x16 video card, model MDT Geforce 520 plus a PCI slot, ATI Rage XL, 4meg video card.

Configurations tested with the optiplex 790:

1.  the dell DMS-59, 2-video output, radeon 6000 series video card plus a single video output dell pci-express x16 ATI radeon card in the 2nd pci-express slot.

2.  dell "DMS-59 type" ATI radeon 6000 series, 2-video output card plus a  2-video output pci-express ATI radeon x16 video card in the 2nd pci-express slot.

3. dell "DMS-59 type"  ATI radeon 6000 series, 2-video output card plus 1 output ATI Rage XL, PCI slot, 4MB video card.

4. A galaxy brand, 4 DVI output, pci-express x16 video card, model MDT Geforce 520 plus an nvidia geforce2 MX400, 4MB PCI slot card.

5. A galaxy brand, 4 DVI output, pci-express x16 video card, model MDT Geforce 520 plus an ATI Rage XL, PCI slot card.

Software tested with both optiplex 780 and 790 computers:

1. displayfusion (trial download)

2. Ultramon (trial download)

Results obtained after testing all the above configurations:

1. When testing the various 2-video output DMS-59, dell radeon 6000 series cards and a second video card, I am offered choices of:

a. MAIN screen plus EITHER, an EXTENSION of the main screen and/or a CLONE of the main screen, as choices for monitors 2 & 3.

2. When testing the MDT, 4-video output Geforce 520 pci-express x16 card and/or any additional video card, I get choices to "SPAN" multiple screens as my MAIN screen. Since "SPANNING of multiple displays" was exactly what was NOT desired, that was the end  for the MDT card.

After all of the above tests, I am now looking to find which Eyefinity card will included both the necessary hardware & software to provide at least 3 "INDIE" displays. Since I do not have any Display port monitors, I was planning to buy the  add-on, "ACTIVE" adapter cables to convert the other interfaces into Displayport.

If anyone can suggest an Eyefinity card capable of 3 separate and independent displays, your suggestion(s) would be greatly appreciated.

08/02/2013 10:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

To confirm, you have:

• Two 19" displays that run 1280x1024 with ?? input options
  • One Sony HDTV using 1920x1080 with Component, VGA & HDMI input options.

Please confirm what input options you have available on the 19" displays.  Indeed, you need an "Eyefinity" cable graphic card, but only just for the purpose of getting the output connection options you need and the ability of 3 displays off 1 card.  With that, you will still need to follow this rule:

• A Max of 2 legacy connections can be used (VGA, HDMI or DVI), and the third displays MUST be using direct DisplayPort, or an ActiveDP Adapter to trick the card to think you're doing direct DP

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Statistics
84862 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.