Topic Title: Powering 12 monitors using two Eyefinity 6 cards
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/16/2013 06:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2013 06:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dd_dent
Peon

A digital art project I'm involved in requires a 12 monitor setup to be connected to a single computer.

The idea behind it is to have the game "Super Mario" laid out across the monitors and have the players move with the character from screen to screen.

The original setup (Which worked flawlessly) was comprised of two Matrox M9188 cards powering 16 displays.

Unfortunately, The company which provided the hardware decided to back out a few months ago, and I was asked to find an alternative solution, which would be cheaper than what was built originally(each of these cards costs approx. 2000$).

After much research, I've found Eyefinity to provide the most practical solution in terms of pricing and capability.

The particular setup I'm looking at is comprised of two 7750 cards, each connected to six displays. The desired (final) layout is 12X1 landscape.

Currently, I have two outstanding issues to resolve before proceeding to actually purchasing the hardware:

1. Do the AMD Windows drivers even support a 6+6 setup? performance is obviously not an issue, I just want to know if it's possible.
  2. To my understanding, the only supported display group for six monitors is 3X2. Is there a way to add a preset like the one I need (12X1)? And if not, can anyone guide me to someone (preferably from AMD) which can help me with this? 
 08/22/2013 11:51 AM

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

1) You can definitely run a 6+6 setup, since the Radeons can each control 6 monitors independently. Windows doesn't have issues with that number of monitors, since the hardware does most of the work.

2) For a 6x1 configuration, this is only available on FirePro graphics cards. With Radeon 7750s, you can do 5x1, 3x2, 2x3 or 1x5, but unfortunately 6x1 and 1x6 are limited to FirePro graphics cards. The 12x1 configuration would follow on that vein, since the Radeons are limited in Eyefinity to 5x1 .

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
 08/25/2013 01:11 PM

Author Icon
dd_dent
Peon

And what about doing so on linux? Using xdmx/xinerama for example?

08/26/2013 05:21 PM

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

Same restrictions apply for Linux. Radeons are 5x1 and 1x5, no splitting Eyefinity over multiple GPUs, and FirePros can do 6x1 and 1x6.

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
 08/27/2013 03:22 AM

Author Icon
dd_dent
Peon

I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood me:

Suppose I create two display groups on one computer (running linux) of type 3X1. I repeat the process for another computer, and using Xdmx I create a "new" display, whose size is 3+3+3+3 (or 12X1) diplays and for any client software apears a one large screen. I'm no longer talking about achieving this effect using normal display groups, as it is too expansive (and for no good reason it would apear...).

Statistics
84268 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.