Topic Title: AX6950 Eyefinity with a DVI and 2 VGA monitors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/16/2013 09:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/16/2013 09:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
psjoholm
Peon

Hello everyone,

I am new to Eyefinity and just acquired an AX6950. My old PC had 2 cards, with a total of 4 DVI outs, so connecting a DVI and 2 VGA monitors was a breeze with 2 DVI to VGA adapters. 

I now want to connect my old monitors to the new card, but I am little lost on the adapter I need.

I am trying to see if the following configuration will work, before I go ahead and order the adapter.

1. Connect DVI monitor to DVI out
  2. Connect VGA monitor to DVI out with a DVI to VGA adapter
  3. Connect VGA monitor to mini DP out, with an active mini DP to DVI adapter, and a DVI to VGA adapter
The reason I want to do it this way, instead of buying an active mini DP to VGA adapter, is because I know I am going to order 3 new monitors soon and want to ensure I can reuse the adapter I buy with the new monitors. 
Also, I am not a gamer, I simply do a ton of multitasking because I work from home. So, having 3 monitors active is a must for my productivity. I just need to be able to have different things running on each monitor, I will never use the 3 monitors to run a game in 3 screen mode.
Please help

09/18/2013 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

For 3 monitors to be enabled at once, you'll have to have 1 active connection out of the 3. The only issue with that configuration is that DP-to-DVI adapters are DVI-D, so they lack the physical components to convert from DVI to VGA. Because of that, you won't be able to use that configuration. You can do this, however:

DVI-to-VGA
DVI-to-VGA
DisplayPort-to-DVI active to DVI cable to DVI monitor

Just make sure that the DVI outputs are both DVI-I, since a DVI-D output on the card would have the same issue as the configuration that you wanted, no display due to the DVI-to-VGA needing a DVI-I (Integrated, meaning Digital and Analog, depending on the connection) signal, not a DVI-D (Digital)

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this do*****ent is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
 09/21/2013 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Dr. Zhivago
Peon

I've never seen a 6000 series card with 2 DVI-I outputs. Startech.com or Accell branded adapters are the ones I buy and use. I've bought dozens of them for machines I build for clients and they always work.

Also, as mentioned, you can't use a an active mDP > DVI-D adapter to convert to VGA, you have to buy a mDP > VGA adapter.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------

I run an All-AMD Household: Main PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 - AMD FX-6300 BE - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD6870 - 2x WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - 2x LG DVDRW - Xonar DG - CM 500W PSU - Antec 900 - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD -  Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit - Other Machines: PII X2 255 BE (4 Cores) + HD6870, 3x PII X6 1100T BE +  HD6870, HTPC AthlonII X4 630 + HD6450

Statistics
81022 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.