Topic Title: AX6950 Eyefinity with a DVI and 2 VGA monitors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/16/2013 09:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/16/2013 09:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
psjoholm
Peon

Hello everyone,

I am new to Eyefinity and just acquired an AX6950. My old PC had 2 cards, with a total of 4 DVI outs, so connecting a DVI and 2 VGA monitors was a breeze with 2 DVI to VGA adapters. 

I now want to connect my old monitors to the new card, but I am little lost on the adapter I need.

I am trying to see if the following configuration will work, before I go ahead and order the adapter.

1. Connect DVI monitor to DVI out
  2. Connect VGA monitor to DVI out with a DVI to VGA adapter
  3. Connect VGA monitor to mini DP out, with an active mini DP to DVI adapter, and a DVI to VGA adapter
The reason I want to do it this way, instead of buying an active mini DP to VGA adapter, is because I know I am going to order 3 new monitors soon and want to ensure I can reuse the adapter I buy with the new monitors. 
Also, I am not a gamer, I simply do a ton of multitasking because I work from home. So, having 3 monitors active is a must for my productivity. I just need to be able to have different things running on each monitor, I will never use the 3 monitors to run a game in 3 screen mode.
Please help

09/18/2013 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

For 3 monitors to be enabled at once, you'll have to have 1 active connection out of the 3. The only issue with that configuration is that DP-to-DVI adapters are DVI-D, so they lack the physical components to convert from DVI to VGA. Because of that, you won't be able to use that configuration. You can do this, however:

DVI-to-VGA
DVI-to-VGA
DisplayPort-to-DVI active to DVI cable to DVI monitor

Just make sure that the DVI outputs are both DVI-I, since a DVI-D output on the card would have the same issue as the configuration that you wanted, no display due to the DVI-to-VGA needing a DVI-I (Integrated, meaning Digital and Analog, depending on the connection) signal, not a DVI-D (Digital)

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
 09/21/2013 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Dr. Zhivago
Peon

I've never seen a 6000 series card with 2 DVI-I outputs. Startech.com or Accell branded adapters are the ones I buy and use. I've bought dozens of them for machines I build for clients and they always work.

Also, as mentioned, you can't use a an active mDP > DVI-D adapter to convert to VGA, you have to buy a mDP > VGA adapter.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------

I run an All-AMD Household: Main PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 - AMD FX-6300 BE - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD6870 - 2x WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - 2x LG DVDRW - Xonar DG - CM 500W PSU - Antec 900 - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD -  Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit - Other Machines: PII X2 255 BE (4 Cores) + HD6870, 3x PII X6 1100T BE +  HD6870, HTPC AthlonII X4 630 + HD6450

Statistics
86407 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.