Topic Title: Eyefinity6 (3x2): Display at Port 1 is intermittently blacking out
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/06/2013 02:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/06/2013 02:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thadaeus
Peon

In a setup with 6 Dell Displays, all with displayport inputs and direct cabeling with mini DP to DP cables (without any adapters) the monitor position 1 blanks out randomly when videos are displayed.

GPU-freq.= 1000 MHz, Mem.freq.= 1200 MHz, Vddc= 1.219V

When showing still pictures, the blanking dissapeared and everything looks fine. Then the GPU-freq.= 300 MHz, Mem.freq.= 150 MHz, Vddc= 0.825V.

I interchanged the cables and monitors, but always the display on port 1 blanks out. Changing the DP-cables with high quality ones from another vendor: same result. Changeing the graphics card from Powercolor  to Club3D: same result. The displayport was permanently selected in the setup munue of the displays.

My Configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H with Intel i7-4770K 3,5Ghz

Graphic card: PowerColor RADEON HD7870 Eyefinity6, also tested: Club3D HD7870 Eyefinity6
Power Supply: Corsair AX860i Platinum (860W)
Monitors: 6x DELL U2312HM with display port input
Cables: Delock miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort Adaptercable, also testetd: Lindy CROMO miniDP to DP
Operating System: Windows 8 64bit
Driver: Latest Driver CCC: 13.11

Has anybody an idea what causes the problem?

11/09/2013 10:30 AM

Author Icon
geogan
Nerfed

I wonder if this is the same problem I am having with displayport at the moment. See my posts above yours. Displayport output is stopping intermittantly and causing all sorts of problems because Eyefinity thinks the monitor was removed and keeps trying to reconfigure. 3DMark fails too at start of becnhmark saying "display has changed". Monitor gives the "no signal" warning as it goes in power save.

Could it be a new ATI driver issue? What driver version are you using?

-------------------------

Coolermaster HAF932, ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Core i7 920, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000MHz 7-8-7-20, Radeon HD7990 6Gb, 240Gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, WD Green Storage, Acer X243 24" x 3, Dell 2407WFP x2, Dell 2408WFP, Tagan BZ 800W Full Modular, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

11/11/2013 12:15 PM

Author Icon
Thadaeus
Peon

I´m not shure if the driver is the issue (actually using 13.11B), because the previous one (ver. 12.xx) gives the same faulty results.

Testing with furmark it can be seen, that if the gpu-frequency rises from the standby value port 1 monitor starts blinking immediatly, so no thermal cause.

As in your problem I also suspect the communication between dp-monitor and graphic card, as it looks like loosing sync. in former times VGA monitors, and interchanged the monitor (same type) and dp-cable with no luck. Always the display connected on port 1 is affected.

Suspected a faulty graphics card, it was changed and tested with the same result.

As a hint for you, I found out that the specs of dp-cables and their quality differ a lot.

For example the cheaper Delock dp-cable is rated up to 10,8 Gb/s and the more expensive Lindy cromo is rated up to 17,28 Gb/s. The very cheap cables have no specs at all.

Edited: 11/12/2013 at 02:55 AM by Thadaeus
 11/11/2013 02:14 PM

Author Icon
geogan
Nerfed

Do you actually get the message from your monitor that it is getting no signal like I do? Mine gives same warning like you unplugged it "No input signal" on both Acer and Dell monitors.

I have a support ticket in with XFX and they want me to return the card but it appears you have already done this and it made no difference??? What does that mean? That all cards have been produced with some hardware bug that is causing this and can't be fixed?? Yours isn't even the same 7 series card as mine!

I was thinking it might be the adapters and need to buy a displayport monitor but you are using those too without adapters and get similar problem.

Coolermaster HAF932, ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Core i7 920, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000MHz 7-8-7-20, Radeon HD7990 6Gb, 240Gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, WD Green Storage, Acer X243 24" x 3, Dell 2407WFP x2, Dell 2408WFP, Tagan BZ 800W Full Modular, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

11/12/2013 03:22 AM

Author Icon
Thadaeus
Peon

Yes, same in my case.

The pos.1 display switches in standby mode when the nominal frequency values are reached (1000 / 1200 MHz).

The first Powercolor card was RMAed.

The second shows the same problem.

I changed the vendor and tested Club3D card. This card shows slight differences in the frequency when blanking out begins.

The cards from this two vendors seems basically the same (same contract manufacturer?) the pcb layout is the same. The only difference is the heatsink, the fan and the fancy plastic cover with their brand names.

There´s a thread at the very beginning of this forum titled " New Messages Eyefinity 3+3 Display at Port 1 is intermittently blacking out"
which descibes the same case. Don´t know, if the op found a solution.

11/12/2013 10:08 AM

Author Icon
Thadaeus
Peon

For a three monitor setup I just found another case here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1300118/7970-screen-s-black-out-possible-displayport-issue

Did it sound familiar to you?

11/12/2013 11:25 AM

Author Icon
geogan
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Thadaeus For a three monitor setup I just found another case here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1300118/7970-screen-s-black-out-possible-displayport-issue

Did it sound familiar to you?

Yes that's exactly it. The screen blanks, signal lost, clocks go down to idle and you get the "hardware disconnected sound". Where does that double-beep sound come from anyway? Motherboard or what?

Can't believe he was getting it with such old drivers. What does that mean? Not drivers but a hardware issue in the 7000 series cards?

11/12/2013 02:18 PM

Author Icon
Thadaeus
Peon

It seems its not the driver but a hardware component assembly problem.

I found a report that  all HD 7870 cards with faulty capacitors are affected:

http://www.behardware.com/news/12705/black-screens-and-radeon-hd7870-a-solution.html

Ist dated one year ago, so the production problem should actually (hopefully) be solved. 

Dont know why I got 3 faulty cards with this issue from two vendors that I bought late this year. Maybe the dealer had it in the pipeline, or the RMA one´s are packed in new boxes, who knows?

I wonder, why AMD didn´t report in the past this possible problem to the users of their products? In my case I lost many hours of troubleshooting, maybe this is the same for other users.

11/12/2013 03:46 PM

Author Icon
geogan
Nerfed

If this is the cause of the problems then both AMD and XFX seem to know about it so why haven't either of them owned up to it when I sent them in problem reports? Got no response at all from AMD. XFX just told me to RMA the card but I wasn't happy to do this if the problem was a driver or DP adapter issue and I would be wasting my time and money posting back to UK.

Not happy about this at all TBH.

I guess I'll just have to RMA it back to Scan in UK where I bought it but they mightn't even take it back now.

Such a bloody nuisance and inconvenience. How much time will a return take? Weeks? So I can't do anything at all for this time gaming wise.

11/12/2013 04:44 PM

Author Icon
Thadaeus
Peon

Yes, and things got even more worse when the guy receives your RMA package, grabs into the shelf, and fetches another box with a grahics card which he will send to you. This guy has no chance  to know if this (new) card is a faulty one, because nobody knows which production batch is inside the box.

Maybe the contract manufacturer knows, but not the brand owner.

And even more worse, it seems that the manufacurer didn´t make a postproduction test of his products. If he had done it, the design or manufacturing fault become obvious.

And the brand owners didn´t check it also, and AMD doesn´t care.

And even more worse, we´re as customers are dealing with many possibilities: driver versions, cables,  displays, adapters, and got victims of poor design practice and bad quality and bad manufacturing process.

RMA process: It took me three weeks to receive the replacement card and got another faulty one.

Statistics
87568 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.