Topic Title: I have some questions about using Eyefinity with the new R9 290x
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/07/2013 06:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/07/2013 06:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
GodOfGaming
Peon

Hello,

I'm building a new PC and I'm thinking of buying a R9 290x for it and connecting 3 monitors, the monitors are LG 27" IPS277L-BN. The PC will dualboot Windows XP and Windows 7, because I want to play old games from before 2005 on XP, and newer on 7.

So, My questions are:

1. Can I use Eyefinity 5760x1080 on both WinXP and Win7 with a single card? If not, can I do it with two 290x in Crossfire?

2. Would I need display port adapters, or can I just connect the monitors with DVI and HDMI cables?

3. Will I be able to use the GPU Scaling option for games that don't support widescreen resolutions, so that I can play them on one 1080p monitor without them stretching? I'm talking about games that only allow resolutions like 800x600 and 1280x1024. I have a HD 4850 right now and it doesn't allow me to do it, the option is grayed out in CCC.

4. Is a catalyst display driver for the 290X going to be released for Windows XP? I don't see one in the downloads section?

Thanks in advance for your time!

11/08/2013 10:24 AM

Author Icon
rubok
Peon

Originally posted by: GodOfGaming Hello,

I'm building a new PC and I'm thinking of buying a R9 290x for it and connecting 3 monitors

2. Would I need display port adapters, or can I just connect the monitors with DVI and HDMI cables?

According to AMD specifications:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/r9/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-r9-series.aspx # 5

option1:

They should be able to use 3 monitors WITHOUT using DP port.

option2:

4 Monitors using the DP port.

option3:

And 6 with a MST hub.

1st and 2nd option dont'work, they lie. Only works 2 monitors.

you can try to see if 3rd option works, but I do not trust.

11/08/2013 02:35 PM

Author Icon
hirata
Peon

Windows XP is not supported at all, nor is eyefinity when it was. I don't think it works with 4 montiors as well.

11/08/2013 07:08 PM

Author Icon
GodOfGaming
Peon

Originally posted by: hirata Windows XP is not supported at all, nor is eyefinity when it was. I don't think it works with 4 montiors as well.

I've read in a few other places that it works but with up to 2 monitors per card. I want 3 monitors, not 4 monitors.

So, the thing is, I love old games, but I also play new games. So I'm building a new high-end PC to be able to fully enjoy the new games on maximum graphics and 3-monitor Eyefinity. And, I want to be able to use the same PC to enjoy the old games.

But after trying to run old games on Win7 I quickly learned they're better off on XP. Some of them don't work on Win7 at all, even with compatibility mode for XP. Also, there are many old games that support Creative EAX, but EAX doesn't work on newer OS than XP.

You're telling me I can't enjoy these old games with both EAX and Eyefinity at the same time? This sucks

I hope AMD at least releases one driver for XP for R9 290X, so that I don't have to switch to the onboard graphics every time I switch to XP... Not to mention that some of these old games are actually pretty demanding and the onboard graphics is not strong enough for them

11/08/2013 10:25 PM

Author Icon
hirata
Peon

Nor does AMD or NVIDIA supports more then Two monitors in XP. 3 montiors is not possible without some very far ranging code to XP. Also, if you look up it says Eyefinity is not supported in XP. As well, the new radeon not having XP drivers is because they stopped XP some time ago. As a result, I'm pretty sure they will not release an XP driver as quite frankly, XP support is ending real soon, and they already stopped supporting XP as well. Also, XP is a small marketshare in home computers which is what AMD is aiming at - I say XP is not needed as every game I have runs on Windows 8.1. XP also doesn't support a lot of new technoligies such as Direct3D 11 or even Direct3D 10.0 or Direct3d 10.1 so it's time to leave it out. I would bet though that AMD won't provide a driver.

11/09/2013 12:30 AM

Author Icon
GodOfGaming
Peon

They are ending support too soon, even Microsoft will support it until august 2014. Can't they wait until then before they drop support for it? I don't want to go to Nvidia, so I might be forced to get the weaker 280x, just because it has an XP driver... but it doesn't quite have enough power to drive 3 monitors on the heavier games Sure I can crossfire 2 of them, but since they are 250w TDP, I can expect 500 watt power consumption from them alone? My electricity bills will surely suffer

11/29/2013 06:33 AM

Author Icon
zeroarmy27
Peon

Win7 compatibility mode *should* let you play older games. I have been able to run 16-bit programs with a little work.

Statistics
89093 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.